MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 19-10-14, 15:46

Default 24 volt slave sockets and cables Ferret / SMP

So, call me stupid but . . .

Take yourself back to the early 1950s when the Ferret was introduced to Canadian service. Think about those times and what other vehicles were around.

Now think of the Ferret slave socket and the M series slave socket on other vehicles.

How did they slave them in those days? What was the issue slave cable then? Was it the offset two prong one? If so I have as yet not seen an adapter for that two prong cable to the single centre terminal system.

I know all about the adapter slugs the other way around.

Can some of you old hands who lived the dream explain how you did it?

Regards

Robin
Old 19-10-14, 18:44
carrier mech

I have the adapter out in the shed somewhere, but have to admit I have not seen it in a long while. It is a single pin socket, about a foot of cable, and a 2 pin receptacle, all in black as I recall. They used to be kicking around the shops, and were on the kit list for the wreckers and ARVs if I recall.

Aside from the ferrets (and I suppose the centurians, but really I was too young to see either of those in service) I did not see the single pin sockets until the purchase of new M113A2 APCs in or around 1987.

Last edited by rob love; 19-10-14 at 18:52.
Old 19-10-14, 19:15

I have used an adaptor which is one unit, British NATO to US 2-pin, probably about 4-5 inches long. If the Ferret was equipped with its conventional inter-vehicle lead, so that it could be used between Ferrets, then the adaptor could be use to connect to 2-pin socket equipped vehicles. Have done it between Stalwart and Lance missile launcher.

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 19-10-14, 20:16

Dear Richard and Rob,

Thank you both for your answers, that all makes perfect sense doesn't it? I knew there had to be a provision for this situation and putting the post up has shaken the tree of knowledge and voila the information is in the open.

Brilliant, exactly what this and other forums are for.

Rob, you know that trade we are doing? If you can find the adapter in your shed then I would take it for my Canadian Ferret and that would close the trade nicely.

Robin
Old 19-10-14, 21:33
carrier mech

We have the adapters that Richard is talking about in Canadian service. The problem was they were continually going missing. There are very few of the old 2 pin receptacles around any more in service. The exception is the MLVW. When I was still in the service, I permanently installed the two pin adapter into the receptacle of my MLVW and also installed the plastic protective cap. Saved always hunting for the adapter.

As far as I know, everything else is over to the single pin style. However, in my job at the local museum, we are now seeing the generation of single pin vehicles showing up as artifacts, so once again the search continues for the adapters.

Robin: I'll have a look today. I think I know roughly which container the adapter is in. I'll post a photo of it before sending it off and post it in this thread for posterity.
Old 20-10-14, 01:22

Rob,
I did buy an adapter that you described some time ago, in case you only had the one, save you time searching.

Gord Falk
Old 20-10-14, 02:48

Dear Gord,

maybe you could post a picture of what you have then?

R
Old 20-10-14, 02:52

Hi Robin,

I borrowed it to a fellow who was trying to start his Bedford, will take a picture of it when I get it back.
Old 20-10-14, 02:57

Bedfords bump start in forward or reverse very easily, doesn't take much to do if you are familiar doing it.

Look forward to the picture, from someone.

R
Old 20-10-14, 04:55
carrier mech

It was in the first parts bin that I looked in.

Voila, une photo:
Attached Thumbnails
Slave adapter 2 pin to 1 pin.jpg  
Old 20-10-14, 05:09

That is brilliant isnt it.

I have seen the right hand end before on a slave cable that had both ends the same but never the left end. That looks like it had a cover once.

Well, that is grand.

I will send you an email Rob.

Robin
Old 20-10-14, 05:17
carrier mech

Both ends had covers once, but no doubt after dangling around during use, and getting caught everywhere, they were disposed of.

In answer to your very first post, the normal slave cables of the period were the 2 pin style. The single pin only came into Cdn use sometime in the early to mid 80s. Somewhere I have the data plate with NSN off the newer single pin (these also dangled off the cable and were soon torn off). With that I can determine the time period they were introduced into US service.

I got my first single pin set of cables courtesy of some militiamen who were unloading jeeps from the backs of deuces at our loading dock, pulled away and left the "B" class cables laying on the dock.