MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 29-08-09, 20:32
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default 12-Cab 15cwt GS For Sale

I've just been to see a really nice 15cwt 12-cab Chev. It's all complete (less the doghouse, tailgate, pintle hook and left fuel tank) but eminently restorable. The box and toolbox (both original) need some reskinning but the cab is good. Apparently it was driven in to where it's parked several years ago, but the engine is NOT working now. This is a really good project for someone willing to strip, blast and rebuild, and it should be saved! The owner is elderly and not well, but I've spoken to him and he'd like to see it go to a good home.

Location is in downtown Toronto and the asking price is $1500. Any takers? This really is worthwhile. I don't have a place to put it or I'd consider it myself. BTW, it HAS a legal ownership here in Ontario.

Call me, PM me or email me if you're interested, but make it quick - the owner may not be around for long and after that, who knows. I'll try to post some pics shortly.
Old 29-08-09, 21:53

Default 12 cab 15CWt

Jeff

If Ottawa Rotterr's haven't already been there too pick it up, I'm interested.

Gord
Old 29-08-09, 22:17
Mr. HUP

Default Rotters were distracted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Yeo View Post
Jeff If Ottawa Rotterr's haven't already been there too pick it up, I'm interested. Gord
Gord, The only type of recovery we Rotters will be involved with today is recovery from Gracies last night... But, if you snooze, don't be surprised that the long arm of the Rotters reaches down there...
Old 29-08-09, 22:24

Default The Rotters

Rob

I know who the competition for CMP's is and I wondered why you guys didn't have things locked up after a whole hour had passed on the posting.

Gord
Old 29-08-09, 22:45
Mr. HUP

Default Getting Old?

Quote:
Rob I know who the competition for CMP's is and I wondered why you guys didn't have things locked up after a whole hour had passed on the posting. Gord
Gord, Locked up means on the trailer heading east...Unfortunately, the Rotters have not yet successfully bent the time/space continuum. But, we are working on it!
Old 29-08-09, 23:05

Well, one of you silly bastards make up your mind! I can buy it outright for you, but I have no place to store it and it HAS to go from where it is, ASAP.

BTW, for those of you with long memories, this was originally an Elliot Bros truck.
Old 29-08-09, 23:39

Default Pics.......

Here are a few. This is a good truck....
Attached Thumbnails
15cwt_01.jpg   15cwt_02.jpg   15cwt_03.jpg   15cwt_05.jpg   15cwt_06.jpg  

Old 30-08-09, 01:49

Looks like Gord Yeo has won the pot....
Old 30-08-09, 01:51
Mr. HUP

Default Glad To Have Helped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball View Post
Looks like Gord Yeo has won the pot....
Good snag, Gord. Had the photos been posted earlier, Bob C would have made this a real two horse race...
Old 30-08-09, 03:20

Well, I don't know if it's "won the pot",or, now its my problem.

I had a 12 cab Ford and gave it away to get rid of it. This will be a long term project and maybe light stone, instead of O.D. like the last one.

Gord
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0003.jpg  
Old 30-08-09, 04:37

Default Congratulations Gord......

....welcome to the world of Monkey face.......

I am glad it is going to someone that will fix it up.....

This truck has been on MLU before.

Do you remember the cab 12 that was advertised in the OMVA than MLU.... also posted on EBay...... it is at least with the Rotters affectionately referred toas Ted's truck...... which I eventually purchased.

Ted lives in Ajax and his friend lived somewhere in North York..... his friend actually owned the two Cab 12...... th eone I got was purchased by Ted who finally gave up the idea of rebuilding it..... at the time Ted's friend was diagnosed with colon cancer and wanted $2500 for that truck.... it was running 2 years ago but admitedly was smoking and running rough.

Ted had approached Brian Gough hoping to find a buyer..... Brian and I had talked about it but the asking of $2500 was too much for what it had to offer.

I am glad Gordon got the truck...... the box has some bad rust holes which makes it more appropriate for a model to copy than to repair.... Gord will have to fill us in before he fills the rust holes.

Now Gordon...... you will need help somewhere along the way.... you know where to ask...... I have every intension of reproducing my 2B1 box in the near future....... if you are interested in joining in on the project let me know.

Once I start getting parts cut to size and bent it would be very easy to have two sets of everything made....... I have my original cab 11 box and one I got from Doug Weatherstone whcih awas a complete cab 12 2B1 with drop side and tailgate.....sadly better used as a reverse engineering template than worth fixing...... Same applies for the tool box...... mine is good and the gauge of steel is so heavy you probably can save yours by some welding repairs......

In any event will hear from you I am sure.

BooB
Canada
Old 30-08-09, 04:44

Default Ps........

.....when I got my truck from Ted I believe I got some of the doghouse cover that came from your truck..... bent and full of extra holes...... which Ted intended to use in his project..... in any event they can be use to make templates to repro a doghouse for yours......

Bob
Canada
Old 30-08-09, 05:00

Default Found the old pictures....

Ted's friend was Larry......

... here are two of the pictures taken at least 3 years ago...... the truck was not has dirty with tree sap and TO's polution..... same old blue tarp....

BooB
Canada
Old 30-08-09, 05:02

Default Would help if I attached the pictures

........small world isn't

Boob
Attached Thumbnails
p2110007B.jpg   p2110012B.jpg  
Canada
Old 30-08-09, 05:23
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Buy it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball View Post
Well, one of you silly bastards make up your mind! I can buy it outright for you, but I have no place to store it and it HAS to go from where it is, ASAP.

BTW, for those of you with long memories, this was originally an Elliot Bros truck.

Does the price include shipping to Ganmain? I'm sure Howard could make good use of the spare wheel carrier and the body.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 30-08-09, 10:25
"Sid and Errol's Dad"

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Webb View Post
Does the price include shipping to Ganmain? I'm sure Howard could make good use of the spare wheel carrier and the body.
Isn't it a thing of beauty? And yes it would look good among my collection!
One question, Boys... Spare wheel carrier? I did not think 11 & 12 cabs had a spare carrier?! I know the spare on mine was secured inside the tray via a bolt & nut welded to the head board (Obviously not original).
Gord, good luck with the project, keep them 12's rolling!
F15 #12
F15A #13 (stretched)
F60S #13
C15A #13 Wireless (incomplete)
Old 30-08-09, 12:50
Andrew

Certainly is a machine of beauty
Looks to be in pretty good order
Nice pick up and best of luck with it's restoration

Custodian of the "Rare and Rusty"
Old 30-08-09, 13:47

Default 12 cab Chev

Bob

Thanks for the kind words, the info on the truck and the offer of technical support, I'm sure I will be in touch soon. I am suprised I managed to sneak in ahead of The Rotters, very suprised!

I am not unfamiliar with the 12 cab truck, if you go to Soft Skins/15 CWT/ in the MLU vehicle section the first truck pictured is a 1942 12 cab Ford 15CWT at the Oshawa Museum. That was the first truck I restored 25 years ago, it was stripped to the frame and rebuilt, but then I didn't have the time and energy to find someone who could make the thing run right.

Having done several projects since then I have a better equipped shop and should have improved skills for this one. Being a Chev it should not have the distributor and fueling issues of the Ford and be a very drivable vehicle. Very much like my 13 cab. As ugly and cramped a drivers area that the 12 cab has I couldn't resist wanting another 12, I guess because that was it was my first truck.

I was told the dog house was taken away and that is some thing that is hard to replace, so I will keep that in mind that you have it.

As too the cargo box, I really don't know what to expect till I see it, but you don't make it sound very encouraging. I was also told the tail gate is missing . Time will tell what I need and I may well need to join in on the box fabrication purchase.

The recovery is all set up and goes today. Stewart Loy ( Mr goes any where any time ) has volunteered his sevices and I will get some pictures of the adventure. Unfortunately Toronto doesn't get out of bed before noon on sunday, so it will be late in the day before I get back home.

Gord
Old 31-08-09, 04:09

Default 12 cab chev

The truck is home and the day went very well with no snags or hold ups. All four wheels turned and there was no brush or trees to remove, just back the trailor up hook up the winch cable and pull it on. Once again a thank you to Stewart for moving the truck home for me.

Bob, you are right, put me on the list for a new box. The old one is rubbish and not worth trying too rebuild. The old saying is "there is no prize for being last", I'm not convinced that this truck was the prize for being first. It needs a LOT of parts and work, it definitely looks better in pictures than in person. I think that the cab is rebuildable and will be easy to refurbish. The lights and many other fitments are gone and will require some scrounging to locate and replace.

This is going to take time just too get everything I need collected and a good work ethic once I get started. The older cab trucks aren't for the feint of heart, are they.

Here are a few pictures.

Gord
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1075.jpg   IMG_1084.jpg   IMG_1088.jpg  
Old 31-08-09, 07:29

Smile C-15

Hello Gordon Since you and the complexity of Ford were incompatable, I am happy you did the next best thing,a true government truck! Walt
Old 31-08-09, 10:01
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Good pick..

Quote:
This is going to take time just too get everything I need collected and a good work ethic once I get started. The older cab trucks aren't for the feint of heart, are they.

Here are a few pictures.

Gord
Gord..
Looks like a good project for a farm boy...got any hanging out at your place..??
If it turns out anything like the rest of your projects,we are in good hands,,
Does "a strong back..and a weak mind ..." come into your head at times..???
Any one involved with CMP's should have this as their motto and wear it with pride..
Brother Al
Old 31-08-09, 13:36

Walter

I may be coming down on a foraging expedition to see if you and Albert have any spare #12 bits. I thought I was cured of the CMP madness but here we bloody go again! I've been at this so long and getting another 12 cab is like an old guy buying a specific vintage car because it reminds him of his youth.

The M-series are pleasing to restore, the Iltis is nice to drive , but the CMP is a BIG piece of history to have.

Gord
Old 31-08-09, 22:09
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Youth

Quote:
getting another 12 cab is like an old guy buying a specific vintage car because it reminds him of his youth.
I wish you hadn't said that Gord... I know exactly how you feel. But it does keep you young y'know.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 01-09-09, 02:57

Default Nice recovery.....

Glad you got it back home safely.....

I see you had the hood and top tied down for fear of them flapping in the breeze.

Is the floor plate in the box dot and ash or regular diamond plate...?? is it salvageable.......? you may be able to use it as a platform for building the new box..... only removal will tell you that.

Was there ever a rectangular hatch on that cab 12...?

Keep me posted of your findings.

Bob
Canada
Old 01-09-09, 04:33
Mark Stennett

Default Nice Catch

Hey Gordon

That will keep you busy for a week or two!
Since you wont be restoring the M38 for a while can I borrow some parts for mine?

Let me know if you need a hand, I'm not far away
Mark
Old 01-09-09, 12:04

Bob

The truck certainly didn't have an easy life. The box and cab hadn't been cleaned out since it came from DND. The cab floor is the dot and dash plate and the box floor is just the diamond style. With some cleaning and sand blasting the cab floor will come up okay. I am thinking that, as you suggest, the box floor may be good enough to reuse as a base for rebuild.

The truck was well tied down for the trip home and nothing was going to fall off. There was a cut out for a roof hatch that has a patch plate carefully welded into the opening.

I called Brian Asbury about some parts specific to the 12 cab and was very discouraged at what I found out about the head light pots.

We changed the engine oil and oiled up the cylinders and pulled the truck around in gear yesterday to free up the engine. The tappet cover and oil pan have been removed and the top of the head cleaned and flushed with solvent. I'll put new oil in it again and we might have tme today to see if we can get the engine to start.

Gord
Old 01-09-09, 14:16

Default Caution sludge in the dipper trays

Hi Gordon

First looks like a great find, from the pictures I would say that you have a much better starting point than some of the Pattern 12s that have been restored.

Glad to hear that you removed the oil pan, just out of curiosity how much sludge did you find in the dipper trays?

I've had really mixed luck three out of the 5 splash/spray lubrication 216s I've worked on the trays were clean. On two of them they had a combination of sludge and water. As the trays or troughs don't drain when the oil is changed this can be a problem.

One friend of mine who has an extensive collection of chevys says that he has seen engines where the scoops were plugged with sludge from the trays resulting in rapid connecting rod failures.

Keep us posted on the projects progress.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 01-09-09, 22:00

Default Pot...... Gord is looking for pot....

Lots growing as cash crops in Eastern Ontario.... or so I hear....

Do not despair..... they can be repaired from the inside lots of spare room for epoxy..... I know NOS are better but in a storm....

Reflectors, lens, ect. are available from MAC... and Stew has some installed on his UC that could be squirreled away and modified to fit on yours...hihihi

Sort out what you have.... take pictures..... will see what we can do.....

If you are lucky your box bottom structure may be good enough to build on..... the two boxes I have seem to have a good bottom...... but... I have not yet gone through a thorough exam..... and it may be easier to rebuild it completely due to the welding sequence in the assembly.

Nonetheless....... as Phil pointed out.... you have a head start compared to a lot of other restorations......

Don't forget that both Phil and I have MEGA pictures to refer to if needed.

I just spent the last two weekends debugging ...with Rotters assistance... my T case shift problems and linkage adjustments..... only to find out that I had installed the Tcase wrong..... minor thing but wrong....

The two speed T case is held suspended in place by 4 large 7/8 bolts and I had consulted the manuals and opted to install tire sidewall spacers between the Tcase and frame cross member to absorb vibration like a cushy HUP and installed the large 1/4 inch washers on top of the cross member for further strength......

Well the rubber spacers were torqued to shreads and the Tcase sat toooo high....... we had to loosened the whole assembly....without undoing the winch PTO or front/rear drive shafts using the over head crane and the floor jack..... removed one bolt at a time.. slide it in place the thick washer/spacer under the cross member and retightned.... I let Grant use is fingers as they are smaller.... actually didn't want to pinch mine....

Once the Tcase was back 1/4 inch lower with no rubber spacer like a real CMP everything started to work better... after some adjustments everything is A OK...... Boy we sure learn the hard way....!!!

Think of all the years of pure unadulterated fun ahead of you..... and your wife will know you are not in a sleezy pub every weekend.....

BooB
Canada
Old 01-09-09, 22:05

Default Gord......

...as you proceed with the work on your Cab 12... youmay want to start a fresh thread on the Resto section......

Sort of Gord's Barn series.... with suitable pictures of the waitresses....

Boob
Canada
Old 01-09-09, 22:28
MLU Administrator

Gordon,

Congrats on a great buy!

Regards,
Hanno