MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 01-05-09, 03:42
Toby Baillie

Default Willanthry Chev Blitz C60L Restoration

G'day all!

As i posted in my introductory thread, I've recently gotten hold of a Chev Blitz C60L, and am doing it up. I'll use this thread to post all my photos and seek information when i need it.

Cheers to all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15.jpg (43.7 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (41.8 KB, 296 views)
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (57.5 KB, 379 views)
Old 01-05-09, 03:51
Toby Baillie

G'day all!

I've been disassembling the engine so that i can take it out and start work on it. After removing the rocker gear and the head, i got a look at the pistons. This Blitz was retired after the engine was seized during a bushfire many years ago, when the exhaust was smashed off, the oil line melted and the sump destroyed. As you may be able to observe from these photos, this engine is all but done for. Good thing I've got a spare!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13.jpg (66.7 KB, 200 views)
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (66.3 KB, 212 views)
Old 01-05-09, 09:11
V.M.V.C Member

Welcome Toby,
As the classic saying goes " engine ran well just before it stopped". or
"engine ran when it was last driven 30 years ago".
I think a spare engine may be a better option. Have you check out the 235 option?
4? C-GT (Aust) #8
44 C-GT (Aust) #9
42 Jeep, Trailer Aust 3
Welbike MK2 complete
Welbike MK2 inconplete under resto
C15A x3
C60S x1 ex ambo
F60L x3
LP2a carrier SAR #4993.
Trailer No27 Limber
Trailer, Cario cargo
Trailer, Pontoon semi
Wiles Cooker 2 wheeled (jnr)
Old 03-05-09, 13:40
Toby Baillie

G'day Euan,

I acquired a spare engine along with this Blitz, and it was running - when it was placed under a tarp out in the open 50 years ago. Of course, when i found the engine, the tarp was long since rotted away and it was also seized. However, it will be much easier to repair then the other one, which has had some real damage done to it.

Not sure what you mean by the "235 option"; i'm not a mechanic, just an enthusiast, ha ha! I'm learning loads as i work on the truck, however.
Old 03-05-09, 15:50
Terry

Hello Toby from Canada and welcome !

Nice find, looks like the motor is definetly toast, but the rest looks fixable, either way you will do the right thing and another CMP saved from the great Chinese scrap pile.

I have not been here long either, you guys down under seem to have a great network of owners so IM sure many will help when called upon .

Have fun and post more pics when you can.

1942ish F15441-M
Old 03-05-09, 16:59
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default 235 option........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willanthry View Post
G'day Euan,

I acquired a spare engine along with this Blitz, and it was running - when it was placed under a tarp out in the open 50 years ago. Of course, when i found the engine, the tarp was long since rotted away and it was also seized. However, it will be much easier to repair then the other one, which has had some real damage done to it.

Not sure what you mean by the "235 option"; i'm not a mechanic, just an enthusiast, ha ha! I'm learning loads as i work on the truck, however.
Will The original engine from the Factory was a 216 Cubic inch with slinger oil distribution in the engine..The 235 option refers to a Chev 235 Cubic inch engine with an pressure oil system and much better horse power and ease of repair and maintenance..more reliable..
And they are available ,having been used in Chevs for many years after the war..
Some mods are required but the problems and "How to's" can be found right here ..especially welcome are Phil's home page and web site....Phil Waterman that is..
Enjoy and go for the 235...you are miles ahead and will be a very happy camper..
Old 03-05-09, 18:00

Default 235 or 261 vs 216

Hi Toby

There are various engine options for Chevy CMPs - it all depends on how and where you will be driving. Don't be scared of rebuilding one of the original 216 engines these are still an amazingly tough engine. The one in my HUP has been running good for over 30 years that I've had it and it has never even had the the oil pan dropped. Yes they leak oil but so what. The only real problem with the 216 is if you are going to drive your C60L long distances or heavily loaded they are under powered by modern standards.

The standing joke in our club that my C60S with radio box would do 0-60 mph on flat ground in about 12 minutes. After driving my C60S with its stock 216 engine for 18 years I converted it over to a 261 engine which has about twice the horse power there have been several good threads on MLU about the conversions. The nice thing about the 216 conversion to 235 or 261 is that they are all the same size and with the correct mix of parts are pretty much a bolt up engine swap. The are extremely close in appearance as well which make it a good restoration engine choice.

Depending on your engine skills an local engine shop services getting one of the 216 engines you have running may be the quickest and easiest choice, then you get the truck running under its own power and concentrate on the rest of the truck. Get it running and enjoy driving it, then if every thing else is sound and you want to up the power and acceleration then look into a 235. I don't know if the 261s were ever used in large numbers in Australia.

I've got both a C60S and C60L one point that I would make about a more powerful engine it doesn't really change the top speed of a CMP they really don't like going faster than an indicated 50mph. Beyond that speed the rest of the drive train really starts getting uncomfortable, and noisy.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com