MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 10-12-03, 04:57
48th Highlander

Default music

Are there any sigs. out there that can help refresh my 82 year old memory? Somewhere in either England or Italy one evening I thought I was hallucenating, I heard a band playing swing music. I tracked it down and found two guys from the signal platoon in the dark sitting over a large tin tea caddy. They had a set of headphones in this caddy and to my stunned amazement. This was the source of the music. My question is , was this in Italy or England. I believe the music was coming from Germany. Was it too much vino or was I going off my rocker?
Old 10-12-03, 18:00
Matt

I seem to remember spike Milligan (the comedian) mentioning that trick in his war memoirs. He was a signaller in an artillery battery in Italy.-Probably not a lot of help to you, but I recomend the book's anyway.
Old 11-12-03, 10:02
Richard Notton

Quote:
Originally posted by dougiebarder
I seem to remember spike Milligan (the comedian) mentioning that trick in his war memoirs.
"Hitler and my part in his downfall" IIRC.

Hilarious eye-opener.

R.
Old 11-12-03, 15:48
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default German tape recorders

I once heard a fascinating interview on our local ABC radio . A WW2 german veteran was interviwed , he was , towards the wars end , posted to a signals unit . This unit was using , what was then very advanced technology in the form of magnetic tape recording machines. This veteran described how he had secretly recorded many music programes being broadcast from the BBC . He said if he had been found doing this , he would have been shot without question . Amazingly , he had kept the tapes and we heard them , beautiful hi fidelity sounds from WW2 . Swing music etc. I recall he mentioned they were using 1/4" tape , which would be 6mm .

Mike