MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 07-04-14, 10:44

Default LP2A Diff/gearbox coupling

I have just put the engine back in my carrier. There is a gap of around 9mm between the 2 parts of the coupling. Does any one know why this should be? I will try and load a photo of this. Regards, Jim.
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 003a.jpg  
Old 07-04-14, 11:36

Default Coupling Spacing

Hi Jim , I think the measurement I try and obtain when I set these up is 8mm,
which I think pretty much works out that the rubber bush is half and half through the steel flange. Make sure the 2 faces are parallel to each other, so the bushes don't flog themselves out too quickly.
Loyd Carrier / English / Candian / LP.
M3 Stuart
Old 07-04-14, 23:54
Lew Skelton

Default gap

I took Andrews advice when setting mine up, had to slide engine back on the mounts to get there tho, working well on some bushes that I got water jetted out of thick rubber (no woven reinforcing like the original ones)

Lew
Old 08-04-14, 03:01

Default The Gap

Hi Andrew and Lew, I don't remember there being such a big gap, though it's been 30 or so years since I had the motor out and put in a new coupling. How much tension should be put on these bolts? Before I worked out how to post on this forum I got some spacers made up to fill the gap. should I use them? or do I now have 8 very heavy washers? Thanks for your help, Jim.
Old 08-04-14, 08:53

Wink The gap

Hi Jim , I am sure this is the right amount of gap ( 8mm ) for this type of coupling. There should be a washer under the head and also under the nut , I think by memory the nut will just do up fairly snug tight and bottom out on the tread that is on the bolt, ( There will be a couple of threads past the nut ) With the alinement set correct you should be able to slip the bolts through the rubber bushes with your fingers, they should not need forcing. The rubber bush fills the gap , it is not a solid joint , but flexi joint , movement obtained through the bolt to rubber interface. Does this make sense??
M3 Stuart
Old 08-04-14, 09:47

Forgive me for butting in on this thread and I have no knowledge of these types of carrier.
But looking at Jim's first picture, is the rubber protruding between the flanges in usable condition? Also from what I've read here, it sounds like you have to joggle the engine on it's mounts to get the flanges parallel and with the correct gap.

Ron
Old 08-04-14, 11:26

Default The gap

Thanks for your input guys. The rubber bushes have some wear.They have probably done a couple of hundred miles maximum. How long should they last? I do have some new ones so I might as well use them. The workshop manual doesn't seem to cover the assembly of the coupling to the gearbox and diff.
Old 08-04-14, 20:34

Default 8-point coupling

Hi Ron , this is what they call the 8-point coupling , it was a later model idea used over here in Local pattern carrier production . In my opinion it was better than the earlier ones, ( more robust )You just drop the engine straight down with the rubber bushes pushed back flush in gearbox flange side , and then when it is on the mounts and everything is at the right height you just push the bushes through until they hit the other diff flange and slide your bolts in working your way around the coupling.
M3 Stuart