MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 28-03-06, 16:28

Default Front Engine Mount for Chevys

E-bay has the front engine mount plate with the foot that allows mounting the later Chevy engines which had side engine mounts in the older 216 front engine mount location. (I bought two a while back have not installed them yet so I cannot verify that they work on CMPs but they look like they will.) For the price worth looking at says used but the two I got were cosmoline covered still in the original box . (Normal no relationship to the seller) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVR...QQcmdZViewItem
Attached Images

`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 29-03-06, 03:11

Default They should fit.....

Bonsoir Monsieur Phil

They are all interchangeable between 216-235 and 261.

The only differences I have noted is the oiler tube for the chain.

If one looks very carefully at teh centre of the plate it has a small egg shaped raised section and in the middle, hard to see as the picture was taken headon..... is a small pinched pipe that drips oil on the timing chain. In some models that part is screwed in to the plate...made of brass and has a hole dripping the oil. On later models..... no doubt to save cost, the screwed pipe was replaced with a press fit pinched pipe that drips oil on the chain.

Gaskets should all be the same and the chain cover should all fit although again some slight differences in timing tab, with or without, different embossing but should all fit........ not sure if all crank opening ssize and seals are identical.......

Have you removed the spare 261 from the parts frame yet???

Did you get a good one or is it too early to tell.

Bob
Canada
Old 29-03-06, 23:36

Default Haven't pulled the two engines yet

Hi Bob

The two engines are still living in there old skins, ie cabs and today was the first day that it was really warm enough to work out side. And instead of working I took BEAST out for a drive.

If this is the same quy who Steve and I bought from he has a number of these engine mounts and will cut a deal on multiple purchases.
`45 HUP
Old 30-03-06, 05:25
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

I have seen on E-Bay factory-style front mounts to install Ford Flathead engines into Chev chassis (Yeh! Now we're talking!), but they're usually attached to blocks. If anyone sees one of these on the loose in a wrecking yard, I'd like to know.
Attached Images

Old 31-03-06, 04:12

Default Oh forgive me for I have sinned....

...... in my previous email on the oiling tube for the Chev engine...... I sinned when I described the Chevvy has having a timing "chain"........ so remorseful...... only the Dodge flatty have such a set of weak links....... Chevvy have GRRRR I mean GEARS and the good ones have metal gears instead of the car type fibre gears.......

...... nonetheless that little thingie tube does drip oil on a much needed gear part.

Bob
Canada
Old 01-04-06, 16:06

Default Re: Oh forgive me for I have sinned....

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Carriere
...... in my previous email on the oiling tube for the Chev engine...... I sinned when I described the Chevvy has having a timing "chain"........ so remorseful...... only the Dodge flatty have such a set of weak links....... Chevvy have GRRRR I mean GEARS and the good ones have metal gears instead of the car type fibre gears.......

...... nonetheless that little thingie tube does drip oil on a much needed gear part.

Bob
I knew what you ment the tube on the replacements is just a bit of tub flattened at the end with a hole drilled in it not the special brass fitting used on "HCMP" thats Historic Canadian Military Patterns, adding the H because of the nutty laws.

Interesting that GM sold them as a 2 pack, probably means that shipping packageing was more than what it cost to produce the part.

Attached photo of the two I bought, cat is a added cost option.
Attached Thumbnails
engine front plate web.jpg  
`45 HUP
Old 02-04-06, 05:06

Default What this....

Hi Phil

What's with the headlights....?? remember I got some NOS reflectors for you.....
Did you ever get them halogen bulbs for the old reflectors????

Bob C
Ps...Spring finally got here.... my mud hole now have mudholes... I had to drive the Ford in 4x4 to get back from the barn today... some spots are so soft the belly of the Ford is dragging... the amazing things with this rubicon sand.... by late May it will hard as concrete....

Bob C
Canada