MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 05-04-05, 19:48
Vets Dottir

Default Black Watch Cap Badge.

Hi,

A friend of mine would like a Black Watch cap badge... his dad (actually his Dad was my step brother) was with the Canadian regiment ... Black Watch WW2.

How much are they and where can he get one?

Thanks,

Karmen

My friend (well, actually I'm his stepaunty but he's a year older than me QUIET Mark-O... ) wants an actual replica/original cap badge his dad would have worn in WW2, so I'm sure one of you guys will know which badge is the right one, and even better where to get one and how much it should cost.

What would it look like??? Anyone have a picture?

Thanks again.

Karmen
Old 05-04-05, 23:04
Vets Dottir

Default Corrected Info:

Blair was too young for WW2, born in 1932, and joined after 1953, so the cap badge will be the Queens Crown.

He was stationed in Nova Scotia... what did they do in Nova Scotia I wonder?

Karmen
Old 06-04-05, 00:25
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Corrected Info:

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
Blair was too young for WW2, born in 1932, and joined after 1953, so the cap badge will be the Queens Crown.

He was stationed in Nova Scotia... what did they do in Nova Scotia I wonder?

Karmen
Camp Aldershot, Nova Scotia:

1 RHC - fall of 1953 to fall of 1959 - moved to Fort St. Louis, West Germany
2 RHC - fall of 1954 to spring of 1958 - moved to St. Andrews Barracks, Camp Gagetown
RHC Regimental Depot 1953 to 1955 - moved to Camp Sussex, N.B.

Cheers
Old 06-04-05, 00:44
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Corrected Info:

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
Camp Aldershot, Nova Scotia:

1 RHC - fall of 1953 to fall of 1959 - moved to Fort St. Louis, West Germany
2 RHC - fall of 1954 to spring of 1958 - moved to St. Andrews Barracks, Camp Gagetown
RHC Regimental Depot 1953 to 1955 - moved to Camp Sussex, N.B.

Cheers
Thanks a lot Mark. I found a website for Canadian Black Watch but couldn't find that information. Trust you to always be able to put your hands on information about so many different things, and so very QUICKLY!!!

Greg calling his Mom tonight to try find out more information, but Blair joined in 1953 and ended "about" 1959. Greg trying to verify dates. He just wants to know more about his Dad's service. By the way, Blair passed away from cancer years back, so finding out about this stuff is important.

He ordered a Red Ensign today too He plans to have a little Memorial wall-space for his Dad, including mementos of his service years. They have no photos of Blair in Uniform, alone or with the regiment, so I'm trying to scout that out as well.

Regards the cap badge ... he really wants to have one of these as part of his personal memorial for Blair.

So ... you see what an inspiration I am?

Thanks again... Karmen
Old 06-04-05, 00:53
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Cap Badge RHC (Black Watch)

Hi Karmen:

In the time frame your looking at, RHC didn't wear their 'cap badge' (Pipes & Drums - yes), but the battalions, day to day wear - the 'Red Hackle'.

Cheers
Old 06-04-05, 01:05
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Cap Badge RHC (Black Watch)

Quote:
Hi Karmen:

In the time frame your looking at, RHC didn't wear their 'cap badge' (Pipes & Drums - yes), but the battalions, day to day wear - the 'Red Hackle'.

Cheers
Oh, so now I have to find out what the heck a RED HACKLE is??? ARGH!

Karmen
Old 06-04-05, 01:16
Senior Forum Member

Talking Re: Re: Re: Cap Badge RHC (Black Watch)

Quote:
Oh, so now I have to find out what the heck a RED HACKLE is??? ARGH!

Karmen
:

says, look HERE - RHC Home Page and look HERE - RHC Kit Shop

Cheers
Old 06-04-05, 01:20
Senior Forum Member

MA ;

For you:

Attached Images

Old 06-04-05, 01:33
Vets Dottir

Quote:
MA ;

For you:

Hmmm ... I visited those links and in the kit shop is a BASEBALL CAP!!! with the badge on it. I don't think a baseball cap is wanted .. just that badge, be that metal or cloth I guess, but not on a baseball cap. Not unless he wants to start a baseball team? LOL

Interesting stuff I learn in this place.

Thanks for taking this time and energy for me Mark.

Karmen
Old 06-04-05, 01:38
Senior Forum Member

Quote:
Hmmm ... I visited those links and in the kit shop is a BASEBALL CAP!!! with the badge on it. I don't think a baseball cap is wanted .. just that badge, be that metal or cloth I guess, but not on a baseball cap. Not unless he wants to start a baseball team? LOL

Interesting stuff I learn in this place.

Thanks for taking this time and energy for me Mark.

Karmen
Ahhhhh....Karmen;

Why not contact them and see if you can purchase a 'cap badge' or 'Red Hackle' and why you want it.....makes sense to me.........
Old 06-04-05, 01:59
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Ahhhhh....Karmen;

Why not contact them and see if you can purchase a 'cap badge' or 'Red Hackle' and why you want it.....makes sense to me.........
Ahhhhh.....Mark ... how'd you get so smart anyways?

Good ideas that I'm sure would have occurred to me ... e-VEN-tually

Karmen
Old 06-04-05, 02:23
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Cap Badge RHC (Black Watch)

Quote:
Hi Karmen:

Cheers
THIS RED HACKLE ?

Attached Thumbnails
red-hackle-blended-w0604.jpg  
Old 06-04-05, 02:41
Vets Dottir

Default Red hackle

Hi, I've been searching in vain to find out what the RED HACKLE actually is, and is about, so when I email the Canadian Black Watch site with questions I'll also ask what a red hackle is and what it symbolizes.

Anyways Mark, I thank you for your input here, as ever. Greg will be pleased with the little info I've been able to find out so far about what battalions were in canada and where for his dads years involved. Thank you for that.

Karmen
Old 06-04-05, 15:20
HLIofC - Normandy Pl

Default Red Hackle?

It's the little collection of (red) feathers, usually about the size of a baby's fist, on the right side of the headress.

Each unit entitled to wear one is assigned a different colour.

Red, red over white, blue, primrose, white.. the list goes on

"nemo me impune lasset" (don't check the spelling) pretty much means 'touche me not with impunity" in Glasgow that would express as "try it and I'll do ya.

fitton

too many carriers
too many rovers
not enough time.
(and now a BSA...)
(and now a Triumph TRW...)
Old 06-04-05, 16:26
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Red Hackle?

Quote:
Originally posted by charlie fitton
It's the little collection of (red) feathers, usually about the size of a baby's fist, on the right side of the headress.

Each unit entitled to wear one is assigned a different colour.

Red, red over white, blue, primrose, white.. the list goes on

"nemo me impune lasset" (don't check the spelling) pretty much means 'touche me not with impunity" in Glasgow that would express as "try it and I'll do ya.

fitton
Hello Master Fitton,

Thanks a lot for solving this mystery for me. I was surprized about the feathers as it sure looked like some kind of flower from the many unclear images I looked at online. I'll let Greg know. He'll enjoy knowing these bits.

Karmen
Old 06-04-05, 16:35
RIP

Default The Red Hackle/Cap Badge

Karmen,I'll ask aroud here in Montreal.A lot of my friends in various pipe bands I've been in, are ex Watch.Saw a bunch of them at Robbie Burns nite.As a matter of fact I'll call my buddy Joe Hayes today who's in the Black Wath Associationabout a badge.
The Hackle is a red tuft of feathers formed in a ball type shape worn on the left side of the black balmoral,It represents a battle honor(not sure which one-can't remember at the moment,whereby the regiment defeated the french.The red tuft(hackle) was worn at the top front of the Shako helmet from the french regiment they defeated.
Black Watch Badge-This metal badge is only worn when wearing the glengarry hat.In the summer when the pipe band wears white doublets(jackets)they wear the glen.I have seen officers on parade wearing the glen with the badge and wearing black Watch trews(pants).
Black Watch Dishonor.The front of the white spats they wear have an i V cut into the toe part of the spats.This symbolism is to remind the regiment of Waterloo,whereby,they were the only regiment there to have thier square(a defensive formation against cavalry) broken by the french during their charge
Old 06-04-05, 18:46
Vets Dottir

Default Re: The Red Hackle/Cap Badge

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Shipton
Karmen,I'll ask aroud here in Montreal.A lot of my friends in various pipe bands I've been in, are ex Watch.Saw a bunch of them at Robbie Burns nite.As a matter of fact I'll call my buddy Joe Hayes today who's in the Black Wath Associationabout a badge.
The Hackle is a red tuft of feathers formed in a ball type shape worn on the left side of the black balmoral,It represents a battle honor(not sure which one-can't remember at the moment,whereby the regiment defeated the french.The red tuft(hackle) was worn at the top front of the Shako helmet from the french regiment they defeated.
Black Watch Badge-This metal badge is only worn when wearing the glengarry hat.In the summer when the pipe band wears white doublets(jackets)they wear the glen.I have seen officers on parade wearing the glen with the badge and wearing black Watch trews(pants).
Black Watch Dishonor.The front of the white spats they wear have an i V cut into the toe part of the spats.This symbolism is to remind the regiment of Waterloo,whereby,they were the only regiment there to have thier square(a defensive formation against cavalry) broken by the french during their charge
Hey Master GARRY ... thanks a bunch for all this interesting information. I love it when someone answers to my little questions with telling all sorts of other interesting and neat stuff Pooling everyones bits of information and knowledge in here is sure a good education, hey?

I really appreciate your asking your "Watch" friends about the badge. Tell them thank you for me

Karmen
Old 06-04-05, 20:16
Vets Dottir

Default Wondering ...

Does anyone know if Blair and the others ever received, or were entitled to receive, any sorts of service medals or some such, just to symbolize their service time with the Black Watch, even though they may never have been "deployed/seen active conflict duty" ?

I've been searching on this to find out, but as ever, my searching brings me no information as yet. (I checked the Black Watch sites)

Thanks,

Karmen
Old 06-04-05, 21:22
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Wondering ...

Quote:
Does anyone know if Blair and the others ever received, or were entitled to receive, any sorts of service medals or some such
If he served from 1953 to 1959 - No, nothing, he only served 3 years.

Cheers
Old 06-04-05, 22:49
RIP

Default Re: Re: The Red Hackle/Cap Badge

Quote:
Hey Master GARRY ... thanks a bunch for all this interesting information. I love it when someone answers to my little questions with telling all sorts of other interesting and neat stuff Pooling everyones bits of information and knowledge in here is sure a good education, hey?

I really appreciate your asking your "Watch" friends about the badge. Tell them thank you for me

Karmen
Just spoke with Joe,gave him your thanks..He tells me that the Watch pipe Band are now wearing Glengarrys'.Therefore hat badges.Then he says "Why don't you call Cliffy Stavely(late of my air force band,now Lead drummer in the Watch pipe band.I forgot about Cliffy.Gonna e-mail him now!!
Old 06-04-05, 23:28
Richard Notton

Default Re: Red Hackle?

Quote:
Originally posted by charlie fitton
. . . . . . in Glasgow that would express as "try it and I'll do ya.
Otherwise:
Is yer mother a seamstress?

Stitch this. . . . . . .

R.
Old 07-04-05, 06:17
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Wondering ...

Quote:
If he served from 1953 to 1959 - No, nothing, he only served 3 years.

Cheers
Thanks Mark. I'd thought that maybe everyone automatically received "somethings" for length of time spent, irregardless of whether they served active or not. Thank you for clearing that up for me.

(By the way all ... the internet connection has been down a few times today. Don't know why.)

Karmen
Old 07-04-05, 06:21
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Re: The Red Hackle/Cap Badge

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Shipton
Just spoke with Joe,gave him your thanks..He tells me that the Watch pipe Band are now wearing Glengarrys'.Therefore hat badges.Then he says "Why don't you call Cliffy Stavely(late of my air force band,now Lead drummer in the Watch pipe band.I forgot about Cliffy.Gonna e-mail him now!!
Hey Garry, thanks

I can see I'm going to have to work harder at learning the differences in hats, caps, bonnets, helmets, and the whens and hows of wearin' 'em and what goes on 'em for who, what, when-n-where, and how, and so on and on and on and on and on ........