MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 22-03-18, 15:04

Default Canadian Dodge Tippers, Normandy to Berlin

Hello, from a new face here. I found you while doing a quick google search for Canadian Dodge trucks.
Below is a photo of my Great Uncle Walter, who picked up a new Canadian Dodge tipper truck from Liverpool Docks. He then drove it down to Tilbury Docks where he waterproofed it before loading it on a ship bound for Gold Beach. He drove it onto the beach a couple of weeks after D-Day, and was initially involved in helping build forward airstrips, before helping with the clear up of Caen after it fell.
They were then some of the first into Antwerp after it fell, and were used in the clear up of the tunnels under the river Scheldt.
Walter ended up in Berlin at the end of the war. The trucks were worn out by then! They got a coat of fresh paint and white bumpers though.

I've attached a few shots here, but if you follow the flickr link there are many more photos there, along with Walters recollections of his time in the RASC as a tipper driver.

From a little research on here, I think they are D60S? They don't look like they have dual wheels on the rear axles though.

I'd love to make a scale model of one of these trucks, but struggling to find anythng out there!

Mike.

Walter and Estelle by Mike, on Flickr

Walter and Stan Ruck working on a Dodge. by Mike, on Flickr

Walter on his Dodge tipper by Mike, on Flickr

Stuck in the mud by Mike, on Flickr

Uncle Walter in Berlin by Mike, on Flickr

Uncle Walter with some souvenirs by Mike, on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/290515...57622440107045
Old 23-03-18, 00:16

Mike,

Thanks for sharing these pictures. I just love the D60S with the fat single wheels and love to own one, one day.

When it comes to scale models. Millicast did a resin series of Canadian Dodge trucks in 1/76 scale. Roy models/Wespe models had a Dodge D15 in 1/35 scale...no D60S I'm afraid.

regards,
Alex
Old 23-03-18, 13:08

Thanks Alex. Yes, I've just found the Wespe link. 1:35 works well for me. Not cheap, but not too expensive either. I've not scratch built before, but the D15 looks like the best base to start from?

https://www.wespemodels.com/military...5cwt_wes_35001
Old 23-03-18, 16:18
MLU Administrator

Hello Mike,

Thanks for joining and sharing the pictures of your great uncle!

There a number of threads on Dodges here on the forum which might interest you, e.g.:HTH,
Hanno
Old 24-03-18, 01:01

Quote:
but the D15 looks like the best base to start from?
Mike, actually I think it's the only option for a Canadian Dodge in 1/35, apart from fully scratchbuilding the whole thing of course. The Wespe kit is in resin. You would have to build the tipper body for it from scratch.

At one time in the 70's, Esci announced a series of Canadian Dodge kits in plastic......they were even displayed on a flyer, but sadly they were never released.

Another option would be to look for available Dodge die-cast models and convert one of those.....there might be something available in 1/25 or 1/18 (?)

Alex