MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 17-12-07, 23:08

Default Lt. General Moncel Funeral

Just wanted to pass on some photos from todays funeral of Lieutenant-General Robert W Moncel, O.C., D.S.O., O.B.E., CD, LL.D.

Upon Arrival at CFB Stadacona building S-14 Drill Hall...

Forming Up...

A bit of a problem arose as to where to carry his remains, medals and Beret. The decision was made to carry in the rear of the carrier. Everything fit perfect.

Padre with the Lt. Generals remains and Medals prior to the parade.

8CH formed up and ready to march off.

Part of the Parade route...

At the chappel

Old 17-12-07, 23:21

Default More...

Standing in carrier is a member of the 8CH in their traditional Hussar Ceremonial uniform.

I'm on the left...PLUS... MLU's very own Darryl Zinck is on the right. (sorry Darryl, had to post it)

The service was approx 50mins, during which time we waited outside, the carrier escourted by two of the 8CH Recce G-Wagens...(Notice the C-6 on the roof mount facing forward, the rear G-Wagon had their C-6 facing to the rear.

Formed up again for the return to the Drill Shed

Old 17-12-07, 23:32

Default Last Post...

Service over, remains being placed again into the carrier...(notice the ice in the forground of the photo)

I don't know how good this photo will come out, but you can see General Rick Hillier (Cheif of Defence Staff ) and his Vice Chief is there as well, saluting as we drive off.

We are in the background on our way back... The 8CH are about to be reviewed by Gen. Hillier

Back safe and sound...

I would like to thank Wayne McGee who came with me for the trip to Halifax and took many of the photos.

Out
Old 18-12-07, 00:34
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Take a bow....

Brad..
Fine job...the General went out in style..
Great pix and it never hurts to have Hillier that close to some fancy WW2 iron...It will make future event much easier to have our ROTters across Canada attend such Military functions with their pride and joy..
Well done.
Old 19-12-07, 01:20

Hi Brad

Yup, a very nice send-off for Gen Moncel. You guys played a large part in that and I thank you for helping out. I hope you had a good trip back. Mine was somewhat quick. Sorry if I seemed a bit run around yesterday but ......I was. The family was suitably impressed too.

I also know the troops were right chuffed at CDS and Vice walking the guard. Nice to see.

What we got in our p O was that 2RNBR would provide a running carrier but that fell through. I didn't even know they had one. When I heard your name and a Carrier together, I just waited for you to come in. You added so much to the G-Wagen Hearse alternative. If there arise any compensation issues with you and LFAA, please let me know. ( After Xmas break tho' )

Thanks again.

regards
Darrell

Last edited by Darrell Zinck; 19-12-07 at 01:31.
Old 19-12-07, 03:21

Darrell,

Glad to hear the family was impressed. Even without the carrier I thought everything was very impressive.

Everyone involved made it a special day for the Family, and personally I was very proud of the way the 8CH and the Military pulled it together with professionalism, honour, respect and dignity for Moncel. After doing some reading about him, he well deserved every bit of it.

No worries about compensation issues, I could't accept anything for doing that and told Maj. Debbie Craig that when she first called me about it.

Brigadier R.W. Moncel (left) and Major-General Christopher Vokes, General Officer Commanding 4th Canadian Armoured Division,observing a German counter-attack, Sogel, Germany, 10 April 1945

Old 19-12-07, 03:39
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Very, very well done, Brad. I commend you, sir.

Thanks for making this stuff just that much more significant.

Old 19-12-07, 04:06
Prep for STAB...STAB ON!!

Nice job indeed for my old unit.

Darrell good to see you. Probably going to come down to Moncton in the summer prior to launching to KAF again with the tank Sqn.

May have to get together and hoist a few.

Regards
Old 19-12-07, 09:20

Default Congrats....

....to all involved. The young troopers looked right sharp in spite of the cold temps and biting wind. Hats off to the Guard SM and the rest of the leadership for their obvious prep work.
Also to the people behind the scenes, like our very own favorite zipperhead, WO Zinck, who literally make the wheels turn.
To the Padre, who was flexible, easy going, (the way that only Padres can be), even after being told a dozen times by half a dozen people "don't step on the exhaust guard when you mount up!"
Thanks to Brad for the invite to ride shotgun. I know that the decision to make the road move in spite of an "iffy" weather forecast was a tough call, but you did the right thing and I was proud to play my small, very small part.
My sincere condolences to the Moncel family on the loss of this man who was nothing less than a National Treasure

Cheers