MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 10-02-03, 22:46

Default "Anti-Squeak" compound....what to use?

Hello All,

I'm starting to re-assemble my Cab 13 and was wondering what everyone uses for the "anti-squeak" compound that is called for? I'm guessing by what I chipped off my frame that it is a rubber strip, I was going to look for some rubber weatherstripping and use that, anyone have any other comments/ideas on products that I could use? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Tim
Old 11-02-03, 00:41

Default Anti squeak

I used some plyable material I got from a glass shop, about 2 1/2 inches wide, 1/8 thick black, I first used it to put under the gas tank straps, I then cut it and punched the bolt holes with sharpened used 303 rounds. I used the same material for the back of the cab to the floor, and betwwen the roof and the back and front roof to the firewall/windshield, I will be also putting it under the windshield mounting frame. I also found this material at Kenworth, but they didn't have much so I got a 50' role at a glass shop.
Old 11-02-03, 00:41

Tim; In re-assembling my 13 cab, I used canvas strips folded over 5/16" nylon rope and sewn to keep the rope in the fold for the fender-to-cab anti squeak,only because it shows; and where it doesn't-ie cab back to floor and cab roof to cab back and cab roof to windshield I used black silicone sealant. The nose piece to cab I used rubber strip used to re-assemble wind shield frames purchased from my local auto glass supplier. Buy a hole punch(3/8") chisel from a tool supplier for the holes. A small amount of silicone sealant will ensure that the strips stay in place during assy(and also give a better water-tight seal). Hope this helps.
Cheers, Bill
Old 11-02-03, 17:46

Default Thanks Gents...

I figured that I'd be able to use some black rubber stripping, now all I'll have to do is try to find some the next time I'm out.

More questions to follow....

Tim
Old 11-02-03, 20:20
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Rubber vs Canvas

We've used both in yesteryear... but the problem with canvas - no matter how tightly compressed - is that it will absorb water over time and lead to rusting around the seams. Best find some closed cell rubber and figure out a way to seal it chemically, especially in OUR climate (we don't want to do this twice)...

If you find a good source, let the rest of us know!