MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 24-06-08, 22:28

Default Personnel Files - SOS/TOS vs SORS/TORS

Anyone familiar with the meaning of the latter pair of acronyms? Working with some Part II Orders from early in the war, and see entries for both SOS/TOS (Struck Off Strength/Taken On Strength) and SORS/TORS (???). I've seen both together (ie. man is SOS and SORS at the same time), but usually SORS entries are alone (man going on leave is a common one).

From the context, it appears SORS/TORS may have to do with rations/allowances, etc., so perhaps when a man was SORS, he was still officially on strength but not eligible for rations, etc. (someone else was presumably responsible for feeding him), but confirmation of the meaning of these acronyms from anyone who knows would be nice. Critical to my project to know if a man who was SORS was still on strength of the unit or not.

Any ideas appreciated.
Old 25-06-08, 04:16
Senior Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klambie View Post
Anyone familiar with the meaning of the latter pair of acronyms? Working with some Part II Orders from early in the war, and see entries for both SOS/TOS (Struck Off Strength/Taken On Strength) and SORS/TORS (???). I've seen both together (ie. man is SOS and SORS at the same time), but usually SORS entries are alone (man going on leave is a common one).

From the context, it appears SORS/TORS may have to do with rations/allowances, etc., so perhaps when a man was SORS, he was still officially on strength but not eligible for rations, etc. (someone else was presumably responsible for feeding him), but confirmation of the meaning of these acronyms from anyone who knows would be nice. Critical to my project to know if a man who was SORS was still on strength of the unit or not.

Any ideas appreciated.
SORS - 'Struck Off Ration Strength'
TORS - 'Taken On Ration Strength'

a soldier who was only held against 'Ration Strength' was not 'On Strength' of the unit ...

Example: when No. 1 Canadian Base Ordnance Workshop, R.C.O.C. started arriving in the UK in approx. Mar 42, the personnel of the unit were 'Taken On Ration Strength' of 2nd Canadian Divisional Infantry Reinforcement Unit (Witley, Surrey) until their own 'Unit Lines' at Bordon, Hampshire were ready for occupation in approx. May 42. Some personnel of No. 1 Canadian Base Ordnance Workshop, R.C.O.C. were also 'Taken On Ration Strength' of the 4th Battalion, R.C.E. (Bordon, Hampshire) in May 42 while working with the 4th Bn, RCE in preparing the 'Unit Lines' for occupation.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Old 25-06-08, 22:41

Thanks Mark, exactly what I needed.
Old 25-06-08, 23:50
Senior Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by klambie View Post
Thanks Mark, exactly what I needed.
Cheers Kevin