MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 23-05-17, 20:12

Default Info on Canadian unit designation

My father stayed on after his Regiment was sent home in 1945. He served first at Deelen vehicle Dump with the 1st Canadian Demob depot, but was transferred in July of 1946 to the 2nd Can Disc unit. I can find no explanation of what Disc unit means. Can anyone help. He did tell me he was tasked to bring in deserters, ( a job he did not like ) . I guess his job during hostilities was the Intelligence Sargent for the 28th Canadian Armour Regiment ( BCR) may be why he was picked . Any help would be appreciated
Old 23-05-17, 20:27

Just a guess - disciplinary?
Old 24-05-17, 02:18
Terry Warner

I would agree. There were any number of deserters and stragglers left behind in Europe after the war. They were, and I supposed still are, subject to the code of service discipline. Once found, they'd be arrested and returned to proper authorities.

Wars have a way of losing people. Even though Kandahar Airfield was isolated and in the middle of bad guy country, there were dozens or hundreds of contract workers who had not left. The soldiers were tightly controlled and mostly happy to leave, but the camp was home to thousands of civilians too. These were cleaners, construction workers, kitchen and retail staff. The money was good and the circumstances probably not unpleasant. I was talking to the pop-up Masonic Lodge people, trying to decide if I had enough spare time to try my hand at joining. There is a women's section, and one lady at the information session said she had been on KAF for three years.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 24-05-17, 02:25
carrier mech

Terry: I was in KAF when they tried to do a big roundup of the illegals. The MPs would be at the DFACs (Dining Facilities), especially at breakfast time, checking for valid IDs. You would see a company bus pull up around the corner, and two little guys come around the corner to check. If there were no MPs, then they would let the bus know and everyone would come in for breakfast. If the MPs were there, then they got back on the bus and would try another DFAC.

They would get onto the camp awaiting their security clearances. When the security clearance would fail to materialize, they would just go underground rather than leave.

My 20 months in KAF were some of the best and most meaningful in my life. I would go again in a heartbeat if the opportunity presented itself.