MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 29-06-17, 17:34

Default cross reference resource for Mazda bulbs?

Looking to find 6v LED bulb replacements for the C-15TA. Something that simply plugs into the original wiring.

Have the Mazda numbers from the parts manuals, but seem to have missed a cross over for part numbers before the current one.

Does anyone have a reference for wartime Mazda bulbs to modern numbers?

Thanks!!
Old 29-06-17, 20:46

Default Several different blubs used

Hi Jim

Do you have an old blub? A pictures of that showing the base end on and sideways may help somebody ID a modern number.

The reason is that each one of my Chevy CMPs had different bulbs with slightly different base depths and rotation of the contacts in relation to 3 holes in the mounting base. On several occasions over the last 39 years as I've needed to replace a bulb I've ended up carefully unsoldering the ring resetting the depth and rotation.

Oh yes bye the way the black out headlight units use a slightly different blub.

I've got to replace on headlight one of mine soon so will be getting out my collection of old bulbs soon.

Just for laughs there is a standard seal beam headlight that fits in to the CMP Chevy headlight ring.

There is a halogen replacement for the MAZDA bulb will try and find the number and source. Company that sells them even asks which you have generator or alternator so the bulbs will last.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 29-06-17, 20:57
Bluebell

Phil, Re your last comment:
One of the concerns is that the higher wattage of the halogen bulbs might be too high for the generator output, and that over long night time use, the battery runs down.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 29-06-17, 21:43

Default Bulb Source

Hi

Here is the source I used a number of years ago to replace the Mazda bulbs in my CMP http://classicandvintagebulbs.com/. Now they seem to only to be doing LED and Halogen. Though the home base for the company is Australia they have dealers covering US, Canada, United Kingdom and Europe.

I have one bulb left but am not sure which truck it fits. But as I said have to replace one headlight bulb this week so will see if it happens to be the one I need if so I can give you the number and which bulb base it is.

Looking at the C15TA it looks like they used the standard headlight unit from Patter 11 and 12 but hard to tell from photos.

Cheers Phil

PS Lynn, all three of my CMPs came with the big generators so they put out up to just shy of 50 AMPs on high charge then tapper down. So running the 6 volt halogen bulbs did matter. But you are very correct you don't want the headlights on for long with the engine not running above idle speed.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com

Last edited by Phil Waterman; 29-06-17 at 21:48. Reason: Add information
Old 30-06-17, 14:43

In the basement I have a bunch of Mazda bulbs in their boxes
Old 30-06-17, 16:15

Thanks for the info Phil.
I am intrigued by the advances in LED bulbs. I had occasion to drive the TA about midnight from my driveway onto the main road for about 100 yards to a cross road to load on the semi the next day. I was impressed that all the lamps work on the old girl,but had forgotten just how dim 5v bulbs are.

So I thought to keep 6v, but swap to LEDs for brightness. Of course I will keep the old bulbs as part of the "historic kit" to go back on the vehicle. (or sold to a new owner when the time comes)

Looks like matching the bases and contacts, with the expected lumens seems to be the thing.

I will take out one of each bulb, mark it, photo it, and then see about ordering a set.

My intentions will be to add a list of the bulbs and new part numbers for the MLU community.