MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 11-07-17, 03:40

Default The "C" can is mine.....

So I can cut holes ....... I am planning the door to be used only for egress/access from the truck so the bottom will be even with the running board and even with the top but wide enough to allow the cab door to completely swing open to the outside. This will necessitate some wooden staircase as the container is already raised from the ground.

Will design or copy a good strong latch system for locking solidly.

Photos will follow.

Cheers
Canada
Old 11-07-17, 17:03

Excellent work as usual, Phil!
The left side panel on my C8 is also missing, so I will also have to fabricate one just like you in due time....although I am sure the C8 panel will be somewhat different from C15/30/60 as usual.
I repaired the right side panel a few months ago....it was rusty, but pretty easily repairable. I think I am just missing small panel that curves around the steering tube (.I think it's just a flat piece that attached with two or 3 bolts?)

Bob...what about fitting a towing eye on the far end of the container (inside) and hand-winching the truck into the container? ....or did I see this in a previous Hammond barn thread.....sorry....i can't remember

Alex
Old 11-07-17, 19:01

Bob. I hear yoga can help
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 11-07-17, 23:11

Default Yoga??? I hate yogurt......

Hi Jordan

Been following your progress with great interest as I will need to rebuild or fabricate my 2B1 box.

Alex...... you are referring to the winching device Ron created to pull the HUP backwards into his container.

In my case I drive into the container them crawl over the cargo box to get out..... great yoga exercise BUT once my top gets finished and install I will not be able to get out of the cab.

Plans are to cut a wide side door ......inline with the drives door..... so it will be quicker and easier to use the truck.
Will frame with 2 inch square tubing..... make a door also of 2 in. Square tubing and reuse the container skin to cover the door frame. Lots of plasma cutting and Mig welding.

I will be more inclined to take my truck out for an evening spin if I can get into the cab easier and just drive out.

As you know Alex the cab 11 has rigid mirror arm that will not fit in the container BUT on the cab 12 they did have a retro fit that bolts on and utilizes the flex/adjustable mirror arm....... I plan on salvaging a set of the bracket for
Canada
Old 11-07-17, 23:18

Default Ooops system froze

I plan on salvaging a set of cab 12 flex mirror backer so I can just fold the mirrors to drive in the sea can. The installation will bolt on and off so I may rest to the original cab 11 cab for special show. So my flex arm will carry a round larger mirror for safer driving and keep the smaller original and expensive cab 11 arms and mirrors for special events.

Cheers
Canada
Old 12-07-17, 00:15

Quote:
As you know Alex the cab 11 has rigid mirror arm that will not fit in the container BUT on the cab 12 they did have a retro fit that bolts on and utilizes the flex/adjustable mirror arm
Good point....I am thinking of welding some captive nuts on the inside of the nose frame...so I can unbolt the mirror arms if necessary, without having to disassemble part of the nose panelling....but ....that's still much more labour intensive when compared to folding cab 12/13 mirror arms.

Quote:
I will be more inclined to take my truck out for an evening spin if I can get into the cab easier and just drive out.
Even better point ....Let's cut that sea can!

Alex