MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 08-07-17, 19:56
GM Fox I

Default Matt Paint availability?

It seems you can no longer get matt paint in Ontario because of new regulations prohibiting oil based paint (except for licensed users which means private people are effectively out of luck), and water based paint doesn't come in matt.

Semi gloss water based paints can be colour matched and are fine for some applications but to do a WW2 CMP in the correct chalky matt seems no longer possible, at least here in Ontario.

Does anybody know the details of this ban? Is it really what I am thinking?

If there is a ban, is it only in Ontario or Canada wide?

Is is legal to import oil based paint from the USA or will it be stopped at the border as a 'controlled substance' needing some special permit?

Is there a home made additive that might matt a semi-gloss water based paint?

FINGER PRINTS AND ALL....I WANT MY MATT PAINT!!!
Old 09-07-17, 00:21
carrier mech

I believe it is automotive paint that has to be water based. Equipment paint is still fine. Brian Asbury has the Cdn olive drab and the semi gloss Cdn olive. If you add about 25% red oxide nprimer to the Cdn olive drab, you will get just about the perfect CMP colour: that magic shade that looks Brown, no green, no brown...

I bring the Gillespie stuff thru customs all the time and have never had an issue yet. Don't use the term automotive paint.

I remember talking to one of the vendors at the MVPA convention a few years back, and after our discussion, he was going to delete the word "vehicle" from his cans as he would not be able to export to Canada.
Old 09-07-17, 00:52
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
I believe it is automotive paint that has to be water based. Equipment paint is still fine. Brian Asbury has the Cdn olive drab and the semi gloss Cdn olive. If you add about 25% red oxide nprimer to the Cdn olive drab, you will get just about the perfect CMP colour: that magic shade that looks Brown, no green, no brown...

I bring the Gillespie stuff thru customs all the time and have never had an issue yet. Don't use the term automotive paint.

I remember talking to one of the vendors at the MVPA convention a few years back, and after our discussion, he was going to delete the word "vehicle" from his cans as he would not be able to export to Canada.
Thanks Rob. I think the term you're looking for is either dog turd or baby ka-ka.

I'll need the khaki as well but my immediate need is for No.2 Brown, dead matt and I have good colour swatches to match from. Is there a paint brand in Canada (or even the USA that matter) that will match and sell a decent equipment paint? In the past I used Sherwin Williams industrial paint until it went silly expensive then McDonald White in Windsor who no longer sells oil based paint.
Old 09-07-17, 17:03

Default matt paint

Hello

The Cold War Collection in the Ottawa area uses water based paints exclusively, which are all matt.

I have also been told that the automotive water based paint comes flat and that it is the clear coat on top which makes it shinny.

There is also a flat clear coat which can be applied on top of the matt paint. Do not know if it will work on top of shinny oil based paint.

I will see if I can get a make, source and approx. price.

If you need semi gloss/gloss oil based paints you can still get them from Home Hardware.

They matched my M38A1 CDN2 paint from an original part. There is some dust on top and it is a little shinier than the original but it will dull once outside. This is a very close match to the Aervoe semi-gloss Olive Drab. I will have to look up the can number when I am back with the jeep.

Eric
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0011 (2).jpg  
Old 09-07-17, 19:05

Default Oil....water ..... milk paint.

I need to repaint the floor of my large enclosed deck....... previously painted Grey with special deck/veranda oil based paint. Now I find out that all household paint in Canada is water base ONLY....... and the water base paint will not adhere to oil paint unless the floor is sanded and or primed...... 3 times the work and twice the cost.

Some searching shows that equipment (farm) oil paint is still available from TSC and Canadian Tire........ Tremclade is still available in oil and now in water based but you have to settle for existing color mix. CTC also sells Armour Coat oil based paint as a house brand....... and if you find a large enough CTC and a competent sales clerk....... they can mix Armour Coat to any shade available in the Premier Paint line they sell....comes in light and dark base shade and mixed the traditional way. I am now aware of any flat shades but they do have semigloss.

Years ago when we painted M37 with our own mix of Tremclad we used plain old gasoline as a reducer and it produced a nice semigloss shade that gradually faded to almost flat.

So back to my deck, I need to get 4 gallons of Terracota red which they will mix for me...... but the advice of the CTC paint guy was to bring my wife to select what shade of terracotta she really wants.......

Now milk paint is available from Toronto suppliers but is only suitable for new wooden surfaces but very durable.

I have been told that most of the states have also banned oil based paint for household paint but that Vermont has not enacted the ban YET.....

Most of the military paints available in flat from the States are still available .... the issue is what do you declare at the border crossing and shipping commercially maybe an issue for the future.

We may have to come up with our own mixing formula using basic red, blue, yellow and make sure the red is Red Oxide to get a semi gloss/semi flat finish if the US suppliers dry up.

I am not sure if the automotive water based paint, without the top clear coat, is adequate to seal the metal from water....... current red oxide, also flat grey and black primers will allow surface rust bloom to occur if not sealed with a top coat.

Choice of words is a short term solution to get around legal issues.... for example POR 15 is defined as a "coating" not a paint...... and at least so far, farm equipment oil paint, is still available.

Cheers
Canada
Old 11-07-17, 02:45
GM Fox I

Thanks Bob. No matter how you cut it, it's going to get a lot harder and more expensive to find the right paint...IF you can find the right paint at all.

Now that I'm in a griping mood, I'll mention It's getting equally hard to find linoleum for vehicle floors and table tops, slot headed screws, 9:00x 16 tires, the right weight and shade of canvas, shops that have any idea how to turn drums and reline brake shoes or parts counter staff that will give you the time of day if your vehicle can't be found in their computer system, which odds are it can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
I need to repaint the floor of my large enclosed deck....... previously painted Grey with special deck/veranda oil based paint. Now I find out that all household paint in Canada is water base ONLY....... and the water base paint will not adhere to oil paint unless the floor is sanded and or primed...... 3 times the work and twice the cost.

Some searching shows that equipment (farm) oil paint is still available from TSC and Canadian Tire........ Tremclade is still available in oil and now in water based but you have to settle for existing color mix. CTC also sells Armour Coat oil based paint as a house brand....... and if you find a large enough CTC and a competent sales clerk....... they can mix Armour Coat to any shade available in the Premier Paint line they sell....comes in light and dark base shade and mixed the traditional way. I am now aware of any flat shades but they do have semigloss.

Years ago when we painted M37 with our own mix of Tremclad we used plain old gasoline as a reducer and it produced a nice semigloss shade that gradually faded to almost flat.

So back to my deck, I need to get 4 gallons of Terracota red which they will mix for me...... but the advice of the CTC paint guy was to bring my wife to select what shade of terracotta she really wants.......

Now milk paint is available from Toronto suppliers but is only suitable for new wooden surfaces but very durable.

I have been told that most of the states have also banned oil based paint for household paint but that Vermont has not enacted the ban YET.....

Most of the military paints available in flat from the States are still available .... the issue is what do you declare at the border crossing and shipping commercially maybe an issue for the future.

We may have to come up with our own mixing formula using basic red, blue, yellow and make sure the red is Red Oxide to get a semi gloss/semi flat finish if the US suppliers dry up.

I am not sure if the automotive water based paint, without the top clear coat, is adequate to seal the metal from water....... current red oxide, also flat grey and black primers will allow surface rust bloom to occur if not sealed with a top coat.

Choice of words is a short term solution to get around legal issues.... for example POR 15 is defined as a "coating" not a paint...... and at least so far, farm equipment oil paint, is still available.

Cheers
Old 11-07-17, 03:55

Default That makes us a dying breed......

....or old Foggies......

There is a USA based company that occasionally advertises in the Military magazine and they now have a full array of flat paint, historically accurate shades, in a water based paint / acrylic...... but can't seem to put my hand on a copy that has the advertising. Not sure of the final results and durability or ease of surface preparation but they claim museum quality. Will keep looking.

Cheers
Canada
Old 11-07-17, 05:15
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Parker View Post
, slot headed screws,
These are the guys I use for the old stuff.

http://www.blacksmithbolt.com/

They have a few basic rules:

Of course, since we specialize in old-fashioned fasteners, you can also assume several additional rules, including but not limited to: No Pop-Rivets, No Torx, No Metric, and No Combo
Old 11-07-17, 08:16

Default I need my head examined!!!

Okay....I'm going to wade into thing paint "thing" one last time. I am a commercial painting contractor in Vancouver and I deal with all the major Suppliers and Manufacturers across Canada. I have been in the "game" for over 35 years, have created paint that was never invented before and even had my own line of paint in the film and theatre industry....the best in North America! AND it still being sold and used today throughout Canada, and God knows, the rest of the world.
So that said....I do have a wee bit of experience in the paint game.
Now, I will attempt to see what I can come up with for the "Matt Man" and the infamous "Terracotta Warrior" of the outer reaches of the planet "Hammond Barn". The one thing that all should pay heed to was the advise given to the Hammond Barn Wizard by the CTC Soldier was: "bring your wife in to select what shade of Terracotta....SHE REALLY WANTS! The best advice ever! Saved many a marriage!
And as far as water based products going over oil based products, they have remedied that with waterborne enamels and water/oil based paint bases. And like any project to be painted ...some sanding HAS to be done. Be it decks or vehicles. Sorry Bob!
AND on top of that now....I'll see if I can get you wholesale prices, although not CTC.

Robert

PS: Now speaking of paint.....I still have just over 4500 spray cans/rattle cans of paint to sell. 3 for 10 bucks plus shipping. You can check Craig's List Vancouver and type in 'Spray Paint Cans" and check out the entry of "Spray Paint Blowout" to see whats in stock.

Cheers ....Robert
Old 11-07-17, 14:57

Here in the States Martin -Senor sells pint cans of flattening agent. This is added to their gloss automotive paints. You have to do trial and error though to get the amount right.

We used this on the Humber A/C a few years ago. We didn't want dead flat. A very slight gloss to make a good water seal.
http://www.martinsenour-autopaint.com/products/
Old 11-07-17, 20:16

This is the McDonald and White SCC2 paint. It's labeled as an industrial enamel. But the label with the paint code says it's acrylic enamel. It is dead flat, dries quickly and covers well. It does need a good primer under it otherwise water will wick through it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3107.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 12-07-17, 00:20
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Baker View Post
This is the McDonald and White SCC2 paint. It's labeled as an industrial enamel. But the label with the paint code says it's acrylic enamel. It is dead flat, dries quickly and covers well. It does need a good primer under it otherwise water will wick through it.
I hope you stocked up. I was in Windsor last weekend only to discover McDonald & White no longer sells that paint (new government regulations) and why I started this thread. It's disappointing...Geoff Bottoms had them match it from one of my original SCC2 parts and it was a great matt paint in the right colour for the right price.
Old 12-07-17, 00:29

Yup I stocked up a number of years ago with KG#3 and SCC2.

I'm wondering if we would be able to convince the people who make the jeep colours to make some Cnd colours?
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 12-07-17, 00:40
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Baker View Post

I'm wondering if we would be able to convince the people who make the jeep colours to make some Cnd colours?
I talked with Mark from Rapcoparts at one of the conventions about this. He said that with a minimum 50 gallon order, he would make up whatever colour in the Gillespie paint that we wanted.

Wouldn't it be nice if POR-15 company figured out there are 10,000 collectors who would use their product as a base coat if they made it in either khaki or semi gloss olive green.
Old 12-07-17, 07:34

Default check mate Rob.....

Rob....It's not the problem of getting the paint made....it's deciding on what all of us agree on is the right shade of "olive drab green"!

My 2 cents! Robert