MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 02-01-08, 10:13
Vets Dottir 2nd

Default Transit fares there?

Hi Folks,

I just read this news article about a transit hike in Vancouver (no way could I afford to spring $5 ($2.50 per way) for one zone back and forth ride (more to cross zones) ... (in my case, on disability, I am entitled to a special annual bus pass for and extremely low cost, which I don't buy as this community has all (most) of what I need within short walking, and a LARGE part of why I chose small community to live in and my apartment location in it. Seniors and kids get special transit rates too)

I know a lot of people that commute by public transit to work/etc (like Master Sunray ) rather than trying to find parking and/or to avoid astronomical parking downtown costs, or just to avoid traffic crunches, or don't have a vehicle.

I think, if I remember correctly, the fares here are $1.75 each way.

How much does it cost you to ride the public transit where you live? (sorry ... the transit vehicles look nothing like Blitzes and such )

Quote:
With the arrival of 2008, people in Metro Vancouver are paying more for public transit.

Prices are going up for all Translink services —buses, Seabuses, Skytrains, Handydarts and the West Coast Express — across the Lower Mainland.

Regular one-zone fares and discount fares rise 25¢ to $2.50.
Regular two-zone and three-zone fares rise 50¢ to $3.75 and $5.
Concession fares rise to $1.75, $2.50, and $3.50.
Faresaver books of 10 tickets rise to $19, $28, and $38.
Monthly passes rise to $73, $99, and $136
Local Monthly passes cover unlimited rides. If you cross zones and your pass isn't one that covers those other zones though, you have to pay the extra when boarding the transit.

Special ANNUAL passes for seniors and disabilty people are good all across BC in any city/town (not just local)
Old 02-01-08, 21:05

For me a 4k trip to town in an accessable Taxi costs in total around $9.00 each way with the government giving a 50% rebate. So a trip to town and back costs me $9.00 give or take a few cents. The maximum rebate on any one fare is $25.00 and up here it does not take very long on an out of town trip to clock up $50.00.

The bus fare for the same trip one way is about $2.50 as well without the comvieniance of the Taxi. During fine weather I walk both ways but during our wet season ( late December to end March) I have to take the taxi so I resrict going out to a minimum.

Cheers
Cliff

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 02-01-08, 21:14
Vets Dottir 2nd

Hi Cliff,

Ouch. Expensive to get around and take care of biz. I think your dollar not much different than ours? Making the fares about the same then.

If I had to go to the laundromat it would cost me about $11.00 each way ($22.00) ... ouch.

Do you have wheelchair accessible buses there too? We have some, but many buses still older ones. Also really neat trick how the buses lower for people to be able to get on ... drivers will often lower the bus for me when they see me having a hard time walking or navigating. Often hard for me to step up to the lowest step and hands usually can't grip ot take the "pull" me up, so yes, a delight when a driver has a bus that can be lowered

Buses also often have a "rack" on the fronts for passengers to hang their bicycle (only room for one at a time I think )

Ma
Old 02-01-08, 21:27

The whole of the Gympie 'round town' fleet is wheelchair accessable but the problems begin if you want to go out of town as none of the long haul buses to my knowledge are wheelchair assessable. Most are the 'two story type where you enter by climbing up steps and sit on top of the luggage compartment.

The Tilt train service is good (pensioners $38.00 return to Brisbane) but it is an $18.00 Taxi trip to get to the station which is just out of town and an $18.00 return Journey when you get home so with the rebate you pay $18.00 return. Plus you can only access places that have train stations and are situated on the main trunk rail lines so anything on the coast is not possible to get to without another expensive cab trip from that nearest station.

Cheers
Cliff

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
Old 02-01-08, 21:55
Vets Dottir 2nd

Same for long haul buses here too - "Go Greyhound ... and leave the driving to us!" ( their jingle )

Cities and towns usually have a special service "bus" (usually an adapted Van type thing also built for wheelchair accessible and the drivers physically help riders in and out when necessary) for disabled and seniors. You call them ahead of time to book a pickup and drop off time, and still pay, but the fares are much/very lower than taxi ... I think they run around the same or slightly more than local regular busfare. They pick up and deliver door to door People generally use it for shopping, appointments, etc. Here it's usually called something like "Handy Dart"

Outlaying small communities that need to go to bigger communities to access medical services like docs, labs, and hospitals etc, often have a sort of "shuttle service". What kind of vehicle used depends on whats available I guess. I've seen buses, vans, station wagons, etc. Fee's usually reasonable I think as they can take more than one passenger so it pays off and supports running the service. Taxi companies often provide this shuttle service I believe.

Good that you get at least some rebate but if someones income isn't enough to support as many trips as needed, that's rough. Ouch

On the other hand, thank goodness we have some accessible services and stuff because was a time we had zip and I musn't forget that
Old 02-01-08, 23:02

We have a community bus service which is manned by volunteer drivers and have small busses and vans with wheelchair lifts. These will pick you up and take you to a medical only appointment within Gympie but NOT out of town and only operate Monday to Friday. Cost is normally $5.00 return but again I stress it is Doctors/hospital type appointments only and within Gympie. Most of the rest homes and respite centres have wheelchair lift vehicles as well for their residents or clients.

Some of the outlaying towns have the same type of service but do long runs to medical appointments as long as you prebook. The local bus Company which is Queensland wide has a couple of wheelchair friendly buses for charter as long as you book in advance. Once a booking is made they bring the vehicle up from Brisbane for your charter. This is good for group outtings.

Cheers
Cliff

Old 04-01-08, 08:59
Vets Dottir 2nd

Sounds like things there much like here

For communities that don't have shuttle services, if they are on a Greyhound (longhaul Canadian regular buses) bus route, they can catch that. But I have never seen a wheelchair accessible Greyhound bus. Some might exist, but I would have to find out and verify.

(actually, I think Greyhoud travels in the United States too, but also would have to check and verify. I've only ever travelled in canada on it)