MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 16-11-10, 04:52

I replaced my headlights with new (modern) ones, made sure that they had the bulb socket for a parking lamp inbuilt: this freed up the side lights on the mudgaurds, which, with some amber glass have become the front indicators.
Rich.
Old 22-11-10, 13:03
Tony Baker

Default Bought a F60L over the weekend!

On Saturday I went to look at an F60L which I had been told about. The gentleman was interested in selling, and the vehicle, while not assembled, was complete. It even included a very good tyre carrier / toolbox, pintle and mounting hardware, windscreen frames and even the ORIGINAL door curtains. These are the only curtains I have seen outside of photographs. Their construction was quite different to the ones I have seen photos of, as he frame was made out of round steel as opposed to flat steel rod. I do not believe they are reproduction, as the canvas is showing signs of applicable age and carries the D of D stamp.
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB210024.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	38526 Click image for larger version

Name:	PB210025.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	38527 Click image for larger version

Name:	PB210026.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	38528 Click image for larger version

Name:	PB210027.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	38529

Majority of parts removed from the truck have been stored in shipping containers and are not suffering the deterioration of other Blitz's I have looked at. There are numerous NOS spares, including generator armatures, exhaust pipes and many small parts are still in boxes wrapped with cosmolene (hope that's homw it's spelt).

Even the crank handle and the wheel hub removal tool are included with the sale. I won't be getting the truck until early January 2011.

Re: Headlight reflectors for the 'F15 ', I have ordered reproductions from the U.S at far cheaper cost than resilvering here. They are chromed, but thats OK. The money saved will go into the kitty to pay for the F60.

New shed is now more urgent than ever before.

Tony
Old 22-11-10, 19:18
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Well done!

Sounds like a dream find Tony, congratulations!

Look forward to seeing more pics.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 27-11-10, 02:58
C8AX

Default Queensland CMP's

Hi Tony,

I did a trip up through Qld in my old truck few months Back ending in Alice Springs for a show. Was amazed at the amount of WW2 vehicles still around the place.

If you ever get over to Cunnamulla take a right at the Roadhouse and go 200 metres down the Charleville road and there are four Blitz trucks sitting there in a paddock on the left.

Roma had a crane Blitz at the first big shed on the left.

Augathella was amazing, two streets behind the Pub on right are several owned by an old chap in his back yard as well as a willys jeep in the back yard of a house on the top of the hill.

Tambo, well drive around town or see an old dozer driver called Doug, he found a new 6volt generator for me when mine broke down, but lots of Blitzs there to restore. The last ones I spotted in Qld was a cab 12 outside Longreach and a cab 13 near Boulia.

My truck (C8AX) is fully restored so while I loved looking at all the old ones I spotted, my bank manager would shoot me if I took time/money and started another, hehe.

Mick
Old 27-11-10, 13:31
Tony Baker

Default Thanks Mick, and hello to all. Status update and then to bed, to recover.

Cheers Mick, and hello to all,

The places you spoke about are all familiar to me. Not because of Blitz hunting or personal travel, but as Dad was from Barcaldine and the places you have mentioned, he would talk about, as with many others such as Alpha, Aramac, Jericho, Blackall (where he was born), etc. Funny thing about Dad was that he could tell a yarn in such a way that when you actually saw the place (decades later sometimes), you actually felt like you already knew the place. Must tell you all sometime about the time in 30s when Dad lost a wheel from his Chev truck, and got it going again without the wheel on. True Story!.

I am still amazed how many Blitz trucks are still to be found. For example, today I have returned from a 200km round trip, where I had arranged to buy a Ford V8 engine and gearbox for $100.00. The shame of it was that the engine, which was in a 'Monkeyface', made us feel like a pair of monkey faces too, beacuse it would NOT bloody well come out. We know that the problem rested with exhausts and a clearence problem, but had to call stumps at 1815hrs due to poor light and two silly, tired, and generally stuffed buggers past their prime.

The owner of the Blitz is a dear old guy who has around 6 part trucks (Chev & Ford) which I can pick bits from. None are in too good of condition, but I need lots of the small stuff which he has plenty of, and look forward to a good chat with him anyway, so who really cares if it takes 3.5 hours to NOT get the engine out. Really wanted it brought back today, but did bring a consolation prize of perfect seat, radiator (no idea they were so heavy until today), carburetor, fan blades, air filter and generator. Basically, all the bits we had to remove to start hoisting engine. Oh, the seat had to be removed because I kept having to lean over it and it really S%&T me!

I won't be able to retry removing engine until after newyear now. We'll get it the next time though, just need more sunshine, a grinding wheel and energy from me!

My good lady wife is trying very hard to tolerate all the scavenging trips and incessent truck talk, though you can tell when the novelty has worn off. I don't think I will be any more popular when she sees that as consequence of todays' trip, I have deposited rust powder and scale on the rear floor of her 4WD, and grease/dirt on the centre consol fabric.

I had fully intended to photograph all the trucks todays host had around the property, but ran out of day and hands were probably too greasy to push the button anyway. Next time.

One remarkable thing which has only struck me today, is that EVERY bolt I undid for removing the engine, came away without more than a 'tweak' with the spanner, and from then on they were unscrewed with fingers. Only exception was one engine mount bolt, that had 1/3 rusted away. That came easy with a cold chisel and two strikes (Thought it was 3 strikes and you're out!).

Time for bed now. 2 x pain tablets prior, for aches and bruises. Photos in P.M tomorrow.

Tony B.
Old 27-11-10, 21:54
Film maker, CMP addict

Default A good day

Hi Tony

Despite not taking the engine with you it sounds like a thoroughly good day. I enjoyed reading your well-told story and completely understand the lack of photographs!
Just as well you didn't try to get the engine into the rear of her four wheel drive or it may have been your last trip there.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 09-12-10, 08:57
Tony Baker

Default Final post until 23rd December

I will be away from tomorrow until December 23rd.

No progress on workshop construction. Certifier has reported my council requre additional $190.00 for "Fire Assessment" because I live in a 'moderate fire risk' area. This cracked me up then made me angry......there is nothing to burn within at least 40mt in one direction, and 50mt in other. I have emailed them, asking exactly what they fear may happen to a STEEL shed located in a 40mt stretch of neatly mown lawn! Perhaps they are concerned in case of nuclear blast and subsequent firestorm! No option but to pay of course, but I did get partial stress relief from sending very sarcastic letter on the subject.

Excavations and concrete slab will have to wait until we return, or more correctly, when the contractors return from holidays.

I hope to get some good photos of Pearl Harbour, which I will post when back.

As Douglas McArthur said in his farewell to the troops.........................Farwell Troops!
Old 25-12-10, 23:48
Tony Baker

Default Back and waiting for rain to clear.

Now back from holiday, and willing the rain to cease. Nothing useful achieved with workshop construction. Wet weather has stopped the site from being levelled. I can go get a trailer load of bits of my recent purchase of F60, but the parts will need to stay on the trailer until shed is completed. Covered with tarpaulin of course.

Our time in Hawaii was wonderful, and I didn't want to come back. Locals were so easy going and friendly. Took massive amount of raw video footage from USS Arizona memorial and USS Missouri. Both sets have now been cut into a DVD of 60min duration. I have posted a few photos below. Photo quality is average, as video camera has ability to take stills, but with reduced quality.

Name:	PIC_0032.JPG
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	39109 Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0036.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	39110 Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0035.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	39111

Name:	PIC_0098.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	39112 Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0081.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	39113

The last photo shows the minute damage sustained from a Japanese kamikaze attack. The airecraft hit the side rail first and then broke up before it hit the ships deck. They left the damage unrepaired. Pilot was given military burial at sea.
Old 01-01-11, 13:22
Tony Baker

Default A trailer full of parts

Returned home with a box trailer full of Ford Blitz parts. Can't do anything with them just yet, but brought em home.

It never ceases to amaze me how ingenious/rough as guts, some people are. Eg: One of the side steps I just got has one 'made' bracket of box steel welded to the part that bolts onto the chassis. Unfortunately, as it is not the regular curve of correct part, the other (good) bracket has had a block of 2x4 added above it so they are approaching the same (incorrect) height. When I first saw that it really cracked me up! Suddenly I don't feel bad about my standards any more.

Among the bits I got today are two usable seats, but they don't have any of those little twisty 'eyelet' things that the canvas work attaches to. Can anyone enlighten me as to the correct name of these fasteners, please? I want to order them, but don't know what to ask for.

Also looking for a canvas supplier, to obtain correct thickness for seats and side curtains.
Old 04-01-11, 09:34
Tony Baker

Default I do enjoy the hunt for 'new' parts

Just received two Trico wiper motors from U.K.
These are NOS, having never been opened until the seller released one from its 68 year tomb to be photographed for sale. I am reasonably sure they are suitable for Blitz. They certainly are Ford, and part number is C-01-Q-17505.

Name:	P1050055.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	39264 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050056.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	39263 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050057.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	39265
Is anyone able to confirm these are correct type, as per original?

Name:	P1050060.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	39266 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050058.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	39267

Is it just me, or is there a certain kind of beauty in 1940's military packaging!

P.S: Anyone able to tell me what the correct wiper arms are, or have a photo I can see?

Last edited by Private_collector; 04-01-11 at 11:29. Reason: Forgot something
Old 04-01-11, 13:55
V.M.V.C Member

Default wiper arms

Hi Tony,
Give Ross Prince a try as I have got a couple of sets of arms from him with the nuts and blades.
4? C-GT (Aust) #8
44 C-GT (Aust) #9
42 Jeep, Trailer Aust 3
Welbike MK2 complete
Welbike MK2 inconplete under resto
C15A x3
C60S x1 ex ambo
F60L x3
LP2a carrier SAR #4993.
Trailer No27 Limber
Trailer, Cario cargo
Trailer, Pontoon semi
Wiles Cooker 2 wheeled (jnr)
Old 05-01-11, 03:53

Default Common sense fasteners....

http://www.perfectfit.com/15334/Comm...Fasteners.html

Pretty unimaginative name for a little twistie doomajig..... is this what you are looking for...... boat cover suppliers should be able to help you out...

Bob
Canada
Old 05-02-11, 14:52
Tony Baker

Default Internet trolling pays off again

Bought a fairly nice copy of 'Special Pattern Vehicles' for $41.00.
Late nights trolling for goodies pays off eventually.

Name:	Special Pattern Book Cover.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	39979 Click image for larger version

Name:	SPV page a.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	39980 Click image for larger version

Name:	SPV page b.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	39981

Don't have one of these trucks yet, but you never know when I might be posting that I just found one and bought it.........

The new shed has arrived!
Not built mind you, but arrived. Concretor went away for 2 weeks as of last Monday. Typical. Slab won't be started until week after next...at earliest.

I did get the slab base flattened and built up ready for slab. But, and there's always a 'BUT', when the earthmoving fellow had gone I measured the size........and yep......it was the right size for shed....BUT didn't allow enough extra space around for the shed builders to put their ladders on. Last weekend was spent carting blue metal roadbase and extending size by roughly 3 feet. If you want something done properly, FORGET IT, and expect the worst. Never disappointed that way.
Old 13-04-11, 12:56
Tony Baker

Default Back on track again

Finally back on track after long period of silence.

Workshop was completed weeks ago, and now stores majority of the spares on two sets of pallet racking. Bought two bays of 3m each, and this keeps everything quite neat and easy to access when needed. Now looking for another two uprights and two 3m spans, to make a work bench. Unfortunately, my source has run out, and at $150 for a complete set with 4 cross pieces it is hardly surprising!

I have been keeping busy restoring/rebuilding small items such as fuel pumps, intake manifolds, air filters ect. The long awaited arrival of rolling chassis is yet to occur. Ground too wet where it is coming from to have it towed to a location where tilt tray can load it. The ground there was quite like a peat bog last time I was there, around 3-4 weeks ago.

There have been several incidents over past 2 months that have had things come to a halt. Several bouts of ill health (with short stay in hospital once), work commitments, and a couple of trips away for sourcing parts. Also had nasty computer virus which kept me busy for aroud 2 weeks until I finally remedied the situation. As a result of that, I suspect there may have been emails sent to me around that time which I did not get. If any of you have emailed and not been responded to, PLEASE re-send!

A gentleman I met following a parts purchase on ebay some time ago, tipped me off that he was travelling to a rural town approx 90min from me, and I met him there to pick up a rear axle and two 20" wheels with old tyres. The tyres were rock hard yet crumbly on outside. When I attempted removal, these tyres just laughed at sledge hammer and crowbar. I even resorted to trying to cut a hole with an angle grinder, with result of worst rubber smell that I have experienced since Dad made two rubber 'swans' from car tyres when I was a child. Incidently, the grinder wheel wore out well before desired result, and I had to concede defeat. Took the wheels/tyres to a local truck tyre service centre. It cost me $20 each but was well worth it. They told me it took around 45min for each removal and they were the hardest removals they had EVER experienced. I don't doubt that. The bloody axle is STILL ON THE TRAILER (retrieved it 4 weeks ago++). It was loaded onto trailer by the farmers excavator....but.....I don't have an excavator to get the damn thing off. I have been taking that bloody thing with me everywhere I had to use the trailer since then. But, ha ha, I will have the last laugh. I am nearing completion of a gantry crane outside the workshop entrance. Figured the axle problem was a 'sign' of future needs for hoisting heavy stuff.

Remember the engine I once failed to get out of a cab11? Once crane is finished and proved itself, I will be going back to get it ASAP. The guy I mentioned earlier also gave me a treasure map to a farm that has a 'good' flathead v8, and he feels I may get this for a song. He had declined to take it while taking other more substantial parts. The farm is less than 1/2hr from my place, classic! Proves you just have to know which rocks to turn over, to find the gold.

Will post some workshop photos etc, this weekend.

Tony
Old 18-04-11, 10:56
Tony Baker

Default As Promised - belated photos

As promised. These are some photos of the new workshop, taken several weeks ago now. I had intended to get more photos last weekend, but was working on rebuilding carburetor and lost track of the time! Photos of inside and pallet racking to come when I can.

Name:	P3140109.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	41174 Click image for larger version

Name:	P3020103.jpg
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	41173

And a shot of the rear axle and wheels I acquired around a month ago. The axle is still on this trailer (until I finish the crane / hoist being built at the opening to workshop). The wheels went to local truck tyre place, and after a total of 1.5hrs, both tyres were off, and wheels ready for blasting.

Name:	P3140107.jpg
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	41175

This is what has occupied my time Sunday. This carb arrived from U.S.A on Friday, and had some damage to be repaired prior to me deciding it would be O.K to rebuild. Ordered overhaul kit from Macsauto in the states (Love Macsauto!). The fuel pump was rebuilt last weekend....and the weekend before. Oil breather and air filter (not pictured) cleaned up at same time. The main body of air filter is presently with local engineering co. having some pin-holes brazed up.

Name:	P4190114.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	41176 Click image for larger version

Name:	P4190113.jpg
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	41177

Last edited by Private_collector; 18-04-11 at 10:58. Reason: I stuffed up
Old 19-04-11, 09:21
Tony Baker

Default Inside the Workshop

Some of the parts racks are in place and being filled with goodies. Other racks yet to be installed.

Name:	P4200115.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	41191 Click image for larger version

Name:	P4200117.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	41192 Click image for larger version

Name:	P4200118.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	41193
Old 19-04-11, 09:46
Tony Baker

Default Inside the Workshop II

Some bits and pieces, waiting to be restored.

Name:	P4200119.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	41195 Click image for larger version

Name:	P4200124.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	41199 Click image for larger version

Name:	P4200125.jpg
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	41200
Attached Thumbnails
P4200116.jpg   P4200126.jpg  

Last edited by Private_collector; 19-04-11 at 09:52. Reason: I stuffed up
Old 19-04-11, 10:10
Tony Baker

Default Inside the Workshop III

More bits

Name:	P4200139.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	41203 Click image for larger version

Name:	P4200136.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	41202 Click image for larger version

Name:	P4200138.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	41204
Old 27-04-11, 11:29
Tony Baker

Default Another book for the collection

Just bought a F60L parts manual for NZ$109. Thats less than $90 aussie, including postage.

Name:  167206032.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  13.4 KB Name:  167206039.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  9.7 KB Name:  167206046.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  17.8 KB Name:  167206049.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  12.8 KB Name:  167206058.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  1.3 KB
Old 02-05-11, 10:25
Tony Baker

Default Lifting Crane Finished - let loose the pigeons!!!!!!!

Finished the gantry crane this afternoon. That is if you don't count another coat of paint next weekend. Depending on how the first lifts go, I may add stabilising struts. I worked the attachment points into existing design, but shouldn't really need them as steel is thickest available.

Name:	P5030152.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	41445 Click image for larger version

Name:	P5030149.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	41446

The one thing that is guaranteed to fatigue me to feel terribly unwell is working with arms above head height for an extended time. Thats exactly what I spent today doing and am now paying for it. The headache is not so bad but the nausea is hard to take.

Going to Brisbane next weekend to pickup pallet racking for cutting down to bench size, and buy a new block & tackle.

As a consolation prize, here are some Jeep photos from ANZAC Day that I had forgotten about.

Photos......not ANZAC Day!

Name:	P4260148.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	41447 Click image for larger version

Name:	P4260146.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	41448 Click image for larger version

Name:	P4260144.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	41449
Old 02-05-11, 11:49
RIP

Default Gantry

Hi Tony - I would strongly advise stabilising bars as you have no lateral support for a swinging load, and your loads will swing. I am in the process of building a gantry out of 100mm 5g box section all bolted together with 5/8th threaded rod. Images will be posted when finished.

Bob
Website owner - salesmanbob.com
Old 02-05-11, 11:54
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private_collector View Post
Took massive amount of raw video footage from USS Arizona memorial and USS Missouri.
Attachment 39109 Attachment 39110 Attachment 39111

Attachment 39112 Attachment 39113
While in Tassie in 1991? I made a drive down to Hobart to see the Missouri. It was on it's way home from the first gulf war. US sailors were see around Hobart, most of them looked about 18 years old. Not sure if that was before the terrible accident when the turret exploded.

Mike
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 02-05-11, 12:18

Default It all take time

I have been doing my C15 for year now .
But its all good fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Blitz L-Side.jpg   100_0772 (Small).JPG  
Old 05-05-11, 12:47
Tony Baker

Default Mike / Bob / Y.M.E

Mike,

That would have been the last time it was in our waters, i believe.
I used the footage I shot to make a 70 min DVD, covering Arizona memorial, Missouri and the Ford island museum of flight. Oh....nearly forgot....ARSE....GIRLS....FECK!

Bob,

I have already made decision to put two stays on the frame. Picking up the tubes this weekend, and my father in law is going to weld brackets. He doesn't know yet though! The box steel for the uprights are sleeved for added strength and are set 700mm into concrete base.

Y.M.E,

Nice truck! Everything i'm doing right now is just filling in time until I get a F60 rolling chassis back home from Brisbane. That's the one I want to start on.

Last edited by Private_collector; 05-05-11 at 12:52. Reason: Forgot something
Old 03-07-11, 10:59
Tony Baker

Default Getting nearer, but still not quite here.

Today I made the last trip to my Ford chassis, in readyness for the trip home via tilt-tray, later in the week. Former owner got it to front of his property, and the rope he had used to 'hold' rear axle on reportedly snapped in transit, so he re-roped the axle.

I'm not quite as brave ??? as he is, so I removed rope and chained all together. It only has to last one load/unload on the truck transporting it home, so I am confident it will be OK.

I'm begining to have second thoughts about using this particular chassis, due to former owners efforts in shortening the length. I'm not at all convinced that all the cross members can be reinstalled for a satisfactory appearance. Time will tell and I will take a better look once home.

I may try to find a better chassis, so if anyone knows of a suitable substitute for sale in south east QLD, let me know!

Name:  Greenbank Ford 1.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  35.8 KB Name:  Greenbank Ford 2.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  33.3 KB Name:  Greenbank Ford 3.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  33.7 KB

Could you imagine a couple of bits of rope holding the rear axle in place? Neither could I. I must give credit to Matt Baker from Ipswich, QLD, who educated me on use of a "dog" for securing chains tightly in place. First truck I bought was from him & Suzann, and the day I arrived to trailer it home, he asked me if I had any 'dogs. I thought it was a bit odd that he would want to know about our chocolate Labrador! Now know better.

Truck expected to be home here by the end of the week.

P.S Anyone wanting a rather heavy boat anchor, I can provide you with a VERY rusty & buggered Ford flathead block. You'll see what I mean if you look closely at the pics with this posting :-) I appologise for image size. Not yet got hang of resizing images to upload.

Last edited by Private_collector; 03-07-11 at 11:06. Reason: More to add!
Old 03-07-11, 12:32
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Drink drink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private_collector View Post
Mike,

Oh....nearly forgot....ARSE....GIRLS....FECK!

YOU FORGOT ..DRINK DRINK DRINK
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 07-07-11, 10:09
Tony Baker

Default It's arrived at last !!!!!!!!!

The chassis is finally in it's new home. Under cover for the first time in over 15 years. This is the day I have been waiting for 8 months to see.

I was going to use a particular tilt-tray hire company, costing me $385.00 for a journey of approx 250km. Considering I had quotes for up to $900.00, that's quite reasonable, I think. They were to do the job tomorrow, BUT another company I had enquired of phoned me this morning and said they could retrieve the truck for me today, and I gave them the go-ahead. The cost was $350.00 only. Let me tell you, it's not often that things fall into place to my financial advantage.

The money wasn't an issue, as I have enough $$$ to last the rest of my life......provided i'm dead by Monday lunchtime!

I met a very nice gentleman at Hervey Bay yesterday, who specialises in WWII vehicle parts. I wasn't expected, and just dropped in on way back from somewhere else. Despite lack of notice, he was very gracious and showed me some of his stock. My god, what an inventory he has. In one location, while looking for windscreen frames, he walked past a number of tyres standing in a row. Amongst other sizes, he had five 11.00 x 20" and they were for sale at $250.00 each. These are exactly what I need, and I have since phoned him to say I will arrive tomorrow and take all five. They are not brand new but not very far from it!

I have named the Blitz "P.O.B", which is for "Poor Old B@#$@%D".

Name:	P7070010.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	42569 Click image for larger version

Name:	P7070022.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	42570 Click image for larger version

Name:	P7070011.jpg
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	42571 Click image for larger version

Name:	P7070015.jpg
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	42572

See anything wrong with this wheel?

Name:	P7070012.jpg
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	42573
Just one example of bodging, I will need to undo.
I couldn't resist trying the wheel nuts (not split rim ones), and only two wouldn't turn with simple knock to unstick. They are holding fast, despite heating with the gas. A good lick of diesel over coming days, and further gas should do the trick. Wonder what a breaker bar is worth!
Old 07-07-11, 10:35
Graeme Jamieson

Default Rusty nuts

Tony read this before you fire up the gas axe.
http://www.mirmgate.com/index.php?pa...&tyregateId=44
Graeme
Old 07-07-11, 11:02
Tony Baker

Default I guess boom = bad

Graeme,

Have just read the link you provided. Thanks. I'm not sure about some of the terminology they used, but I undertsand that 'Pyrolysis' is bad, as is using flammable sealant. My piddly little butane torch wouldn't even get a color change to the nut when I tried it earlier. I would much rather use a good breaker or geared nut wrench. That was even before your posting, and more inclined to after seeing it. I am always nervous using gas torch, circular saw, etc. I saw my father lose the top of a finger from a moments lapse in concentration while using an electric planer. With his usual sense of humor (after a paragraph of expletives) he told me if I could find the finger piece, I could keep the 'tip'! True story.

Do you think I could use a nut splitter? I have been wanting to try using one just to see how good they are.
Old 07-07-11, 13:02
Bluebell

Default Tony / Graeme

Pyrolysis is covered also in a U tube video clip under a title something like "wheels of fire", maybe Bridgestone. Every person that ever gets involved in these sort of projects should be aware. Pyrolysis is a sneaky but real killer.
There doesn't have to be a fire inside the tyre, it is just a reaction of heat and pressure. there is no visible evidence of it happening prior to the explosion.

Tony, new sheds look great dont they. They're only like it once. Clean walls, No sh*t hanging every where.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....