MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 30-03-16, 00:06

Default C-5 Charging panel in box

Hello David,

Just a note to show where i temporarily installed the charging panel in my box.

Let's continue the research on this interesting subject because there are many that will benefit from the results.

Tell us more on the 2K2 version of the box. Never heard of it. Picture ?

I think i have the 2K1 version . My box is made of alumunium. 4 windows, one rear door. three ventilators , one powered two passive.

Cheers.

Robert
Attached Thumbnails
C-5 Charging panel in box mars 16.jpg  
94 LSVW
Old 30-03-16, 23:01

Default C-5 Charging panel in box- shadow

Friends,

Here is a picture of the inside of my box before restoration.

In the center between the two windows we see the shadow of the metal control panel box . The wood panels were painted white around it.

At the right below the window i see the shadow of the c-5 charging panel that was there for a long while . The wood panel was painted white behind it but the light , air and humidity changed the colour behind the C-5 charging panel over the years.

At least , that is what i see.

Any other constructive opinions out there ?
Attached Thumbnails
Ombrage du charging panel mars 16.jpg  
94 LSVW
Old 02-04-16, 02:54
GM Fox I

It's been a long time since I worked on my 2K1 body but that was my informed idea based on the evidence I saw at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Bergeron View Post
Friends,

Here is a picture of the inside of my box before restoration.

In the center between the two windows we see the shadow of the metal control panel box . The wood panels were painted white around it.

At the right below the window i see the shadow of the c-5 charging panel that was there for a long while . The wood panel was painted white behind it but the light , air and humidity changed the colour behind the C-5 charging panel over the years.

At least , that is what i see.

Any other constructive opinions out there ?
Old 04-04-16, 03:12

Rodger Bruce.. Thanks.
94 LSVW
Old 08-04-16, 03:06

Default C15A Wireless Van - Radio Table

Here is a period picture of the radio table and a 19 Set, Mk III I believe, in a 15cwt wireless van. c1943.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Truck, 15 cwt, 4x4, Wireless.jpg  
Old 14-09-16, 18:49

Giving life again to this tread as i am nearing completion of the inside of my radio box.
94 LSVW
Old 14-09-16, 21:17

Joe. That is an interesting photo. Thanks for posting it.

If you look closely, there are two sets of Mountings, Carriers No. 1 installed on that Wireless Table. The inner set are the active ones currently supporting the 19-Set and it's Carriers No. 23. The outermost set of Mountings are not in use, but must have been there to support an earlier Wireless Set installation.

The outer edges of the Carriers No. 23 are approx 37 inches apart. With a 1.5 inch width to the Mountings, the outer set must have been supporting a Wireless and related Carrier of about 40 inches in length. Does that match up with any other set we might know of being in use up to and around 1943? No. 9, 11 or 52 perhaps.

Also seems a bit odd if a set of Mounts were already in use on the Wireless Table, that they were not simply moved to accommodate the installation of the 19-Set. It doesn't make sense to keep both as the inner set for the 19 would interfere with installing the larger Carrier in the future.

I wonder if this was a test vehicle of some sort?

David
Old 15-09-16, 05:43

The other interesting thing about that photo Joe posted is that the B Set is connected to the Variometer, not the A Set.

David
Old 15-09-16, 21:03
Junior Password Gnome

WS52 is far too big and heavy for those mountings (as is the WS9 that preceded it). I seem to remember helping to load a WS52 into someone's car after an auction that they won - it took 6 of us to lift the beast!

The mis-connected co-ax is on a par with the aerial lead that goes to the left hand side of the carrier instead of to the variometer mounting plate and the socket on that. I assume the photographer was using his artistic licence.
(More likely that there was nobody present with knowledge of the set.)

Chris.
Old 16-09-16, 01:38

Hi Chris. I just noticed the 120 V terminal to the right of the table is not the standard issue one, which is much chunkier looking with one round terminal in the middle. Also a couple of odd looking brackets stuck on the front wall.

I am beginning to wonder if this photo perhaps originated at Wilson, the maker of these Wireless boxes.

Ford kept an extensive photo documentation file of all sorts of installations, mods, etc related to their UC production. Could be that Wilson ddi a similar thing with their wireless boxes, documenting new equipment, changes, mods etc as production evolved.

David
Old 16-09-16, 02:19

Not sure where my brain is hiding today.

Just realized this same photo shows the battery trays Robert was asking about in his Restoration Thread. And therein is yet another oddity. Only two batteries in the system and no hold down assemblies for either tray. Seems very unlikely this vehicle was an active Wireless Truck. Too many things just don't add up.

David
Old 16-09-16, 03:00
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post

Just realized this same photo shows the battery trays Robert was asking about in his Restoration Thread. And therein is yet another oddity. Only two batteries in the system and no hold down assemblies for either tray. Seems very unlikely this vehicle was an active Wireless Truck. Too many things just don't add up.

David
I bet those two nubs on the left face of the trays at the bottom facing the table are for the hold downs. Web straps perhaps but every radio tray I've seen has posts, threaded rods and a bar at the top to hold things down.
Old 16-09-16, 04:36

Interesting picture indeed ...
94 LSVW
Old 16-09-16, 07:55
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

Quote:

Seems very unlikely this vehicle was an active Wireless Truck. Too many things just don't add up.

David
The seats show some wear and the floor is a bit grotty. The tables legs and other metal work show a lot of paint scratched off. Perhaps this one was withdrawn from service and used for training?
Old 16-09-16, 13:25

Bruce P.

Spot on! Those nubs are indeed the lower fittings of the battery hold down assemblies. They are riveted to the edge of the steel tray: one rivet either side and if memory serves, they are flush rivets. The centre loop held the vertical steel rod but I cannot recall if they were threaded in or welded.

Bruce M.

Hadn't thought of that option, though this particular wireless box looks a bit too incomplete/misrepresentative. Be a bit like a Bren Gun being declared 'DP' with missing and mismatched parts.

David
Old 16-09-16, 21:10

Wow! What a detailed analysis you guys have done. Very impressive. Reaffirms that this is the place to come for my questions.

As for the picture, it is one held by the Military and Communications Museum in Kingston Ontario. The only other detail I can contribute is that I cropped out a "PHOTO.NDHQ" label plate from the bottom left corner. So, not likely a photo of a properly kitted out vehicle although I don't know the specific circumstances of it.
Old 16-09-16, 22:26

The armour cable snaking up from behind the 2x4's supporting the battery box trays is the standard (common to all 2K1's and 2K2's) Grant Battery feed for the optional Onan Generator installation. It will end just in front of the Wireless Operators seat with a slim rectangular electrical box, the cover plate of which should have a central hole with the two (+ & -) wires hanging out. On the floor of the wireless box in that area should be four holes in a large square pattern, where the tray or box for the Grant Batteries was mounted, or if one is lucky, the tray itself. Most seemed to disappear outright, probably because they annoyed the hell out of the Wireless Operator, if they were not being used.

I covered the Grant Batteries in another post somewhere here, but cannot recall which thread.

Joe.

Maybe this was the wartime NDHQ Smoking Shack, and because it was headquarters, they got to keep the radio.

David
Old 16-09-16, 23:34
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Hi Chris. I just noticed the 120 V terminal to the right of the table is not the standard issue one, which is much chunkier looking with one round terminal in the middle. Also a couple of odd looking brackets stuck on the front wall.

I am beginning to wonder if this photo perhaps originated at Wilson, the maker of these Wireless boxes.

Ford kept an extensive photo documentation file of all sorts of installations, mods, etc related to their UC production. Could be that Wilson ddi a similar thing with their wireless boxes, documenting new equipment, changes, mods etc as production evolved.

David
It may well be a demonstration/training or test vehicle. It's certainly not complete in the photograph.

I'm beginning to reconsider my "Not a WS52" statement in the light of those "brackets" on the wall. They're "Shock absorbers, Bridge" as used on the WS19 carrier mounts, and are there to prevent a taller radio from tearing the carrier mounts off during acceleration and braking. The British WS19HP had an 'L' shaped bracket that fitted the top of the RF Amplifier No.2 and then attached to a shock mount on the rear wall. This pair look to be the correct spacing for a single large set and I'm wondering if it was the WS9 or WS52.
If so, the wider clamps take the set carrier - which is different to the WS19 type and has shock absorbers built into it - and it would clear the WS19 clamps fairly easily, I think.

I would NOT like to be the person installing a WS52, unless you were allowed to remove all the units from the case, install the carrier and case as a starting point and then populate it with the electronics. Otherwise you'd need an engine crane to lift the beast.

So, combination WS19 or WS52 depending on requirements.

The clamps for the battery trays are 'J' shaped threaded rods with steel angle strips (with the last inch or so of angle removed to give clearance for the wing nuts). Lower the batteries into place and connect up, place the hold-down strips (with threaded rods) on top, hook the rods into the tray 'nubs' and tighten the wingnuts to clamp the batteries in place. The two trays would take four batteries between them for the WS19, I don't know about the WS52 requirements - may have been one much bigger battery each for that?

Chris.

Last edited by Chris Suslowicz; 25-02-17 at 12:28. Reason: Formatting. Changed 'toa' to 'to a' for readability.
Old 17-09-16, 02:00

Chris.

Thanks so much for confirming those two brackets on the wall are a pair of Bridges. When looking at an enlargement the other night, I thought they looked like them but mounted on the wall threw me completely. I then just chalked it up to my bad eyes and my getting a bit dotty.

Basic complete 52-Set runs in at 255 lbs, plus another 5 or 6 boxes of stuff to fully get one running that easily triples that weight. The set itself would require the standard 4 HD 6V Batteries at 200 amp hr each. The Remote Receiver also needs 4 LD 6V Batteries at 125 amp hr each. Yikes!

David
Old 17-09-16, 02:11
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:

Basic complete 52-Set runs in at 255 lbs...

David
Which is why it took six of us to carry one out of the auction and into someone's car. It was complete with the carrier (which keeps the set case clear of the mounting surface by an inch or two as I recall), and I'm glad the purchaser had an estate car (.uk) with a flat bed and rear door or we'd never have loaded it as a single unit.

Chris.
Old 23-02-17, 04:23
Geoff Truscott

WS52 is actually designed to be dismantled, same as a 19 set, much easier to install in a carrier empty and then insert the component. "Plug and play", WS52 has an internal power bar that all 3 components plug into. If I remember correctly 2 bolts on the sides, 2 bolts on the bottom and out they come, moved it myself so it had to come apart.
Complete WS52 WW2 Ground Station/Truck installation was the standard WS52 Set Kit No.1 and 11 additional kits for a total of twelve kits total. Total weight of all kits was 2,119 lbs.
Have collected pretty much all the 12 kits except for the wireless tent from Manitoba Tent and Awning, the suction cup Lamps Operator and the power plug.

Geoff
Old 24-02-17, 22:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Suslowicz View Post

The radio table with the battery clamp frames on the back is probably for a WS11 because the battery frames look too shallow for an accumulator and are probably for a pair of 250 volt primary battery boxes.

Chris.
It is strange that both of the original bench tops that I have also show witness marks for those two battery clamps across the rear along with the 5 metal strips (each 2/3 the width of the bench) to allow a variety of different sets to be installed.
Im beginning to wonder if those clamps were a standard factory fitting in British vehicles in addition to the five metal strips screwed to the bench-top.
Bedford MWR 47140 / 49RG30
Old 24-02-17, 23:06
Junior Password Gnome

More likely to be sheer inertia in the supply chain. There's a war on, rapid production is essential, and minor modifications that don't really achieve anything useful (they might save a bit of time and a small amount of material over a long run but would stop production while drawings were amended and jigs adjusted) will simply accumulate until there's a major change that needs to happen, at which point all the modifications that are still applicable will be incorporated.

I can easily see a "Standard Wireless Table" being manufactured effectively unchanged for the whole of WW2.

Chris.
Old 25-02-17, 11:32
Dennis Gelean

Default wireless table

re the wireless table, my original the wood was rotted out but it showed were a pullout tray was, any plans pictures or measurements? on the right side back table leg there was a squished ground clamp which I replaced with the oldest one I could find, Bruce P, I asked a friend to take pictures inside so there is still hope. found another crest for you still searching for the 3rd item. due to health I am very slow walker DG