MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 23-04-17, 07:03
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Anzacs

Hi Guys

This is so appropriate for ANZAC Day on 25th April highlighting the Anzacs Spirit

Watch the integration of old and modern day footage. This is an incredibly special music video for'Spirit of the Anzacs' Featuring many Australian artists.

This is what we need to live up to and to be proud of who we are.One of my many memories was being invited to attend the internment of the tomb of the unknown soldier in the Australia War Memorial in Canberra and place a Poppy on the coffin before the tomb was sealed and sign my name in the book, I represented SA National Servicemen.

Enjoy The film clip, it may not mean much to most countries but it very sacred to Australian and new Zealand Servicemen who served in all theaters of war. Unfortunately I will not be marching this year, not until after my knee replacement.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/NfFFzFiiVYM?rel=0

Cheers

Tony
Old 23-04-17, 16:36

Default Anzac in Canada

And to further commemorate the efforts of ANZAC troops in Canada, a town in Northern Alberta is named after them, bravo!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anzac,_Alberta
1951 PE-95K Gen Set
MVPA
Cdn Forces 1986-2006

Last edited by Peter Phillips; 23-04-17 at 16:42.
Old 23-04-17, 18:14

Now that's a curious piece of information ..... never knew there were ANZAC surveyors in Canada in WW1. Makes me wonder what actual units we are talking about, how they got there, how they got back to Oz and LOTLWC as the Australia and New Zealand Army Corps was formed in Egypt in December 1914, from elements of the AIF and the 1st NZ Expeditionary Force, for service in the Middle East and the Gallipoli Peninsula.

The town's website states:

" Anzac was established in 1917 as a stopping point on the Alberta Great Waterways Railway Line and was named after the Australia and New Zealand Army Corps that surveyed the area during World War I."

This deserves some investigating... anyone have any details on this I could follow up on, please?

Mike

Last edited by Mike Cecil; 23-04-17 at 20:53.
Old 23-04-17, 20:51
Tony Baker

Spirit of The ANZACS is one of the best compilations of modern ANZAC and Australian military tribute music.

My favorite songs are Spirit of The ANZACs, Oh Passchendaele, Forever 18, We'll Take Beersheba, and last but not least Lest We Forget. I bought this albumn when it first came out, and played it to death on my trip down to Bandana to deliver my Sons car in 2016. If ANZAC Day brings a lump to your throat, this CD will have you bawling.

The piece entitled Forever 18, tells the story of a young sailor by the name of Teddy Sheehan, who continued to fire his deck gun during a japanese air attack on his ship. The ship was ultimately sunk. He went down with the ship, still firing his gun to protect his comrades. After hearing this song, I did some light internet research, and read about this fellow. My overwhelming thought was WHY have I not heard about this guy before now! His family have been pushing for a posthumous award, but so far it has been in vane. Imagine making the decision to knowingly end your own life for your mates, and knowing that life will end in the next few minutes for certain.

If you don't have this CD, please consider getting it. You won't regret doing so!
Attached Thumbnails
images (2).jpg  
Old 24-04-17, 20:41

Default Anzac, AB

I've been in touch with the municipality and the local historical society and was grateful to receive a very detailed reply from the latter.

In short, the statement on the municipal website is not correct: the most likely origin of the naming of the hamlet as 'Anzac' was by returning Canadian soldiers who had fought alongside Australians & NZs on the Western Front and after demob, worked on the railway in the post-WW1 period. Up until post WW1, the hamlet was known as Willow Lake - it was only renamed once the railway arrived circa 1921.

There were certainly no 'ANZAC' units working in the far reaches of Alberta, Canada (or anywhere else in Canada) during the First World War, as is indicated by the statement on the municipal website.

The historical society will be approaching the municipality to have the website statement amended.

As an aside, there is also a locality called Anzac on the Parsnip River in the back blocks of British Columbia. So both places are probably named to commemorate ANZAC troops, but for their efforts on the Western Front rather than in Canada. An interesting little aspect of history - thanks, Peter for posting the link.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Cecil; 24-04-17 at 21:14.
Old 24-04-17, 22:07
Tony Baker

Thank you for that information, Mike. I say it's an extrordinary gesture on behalf of our Canadian friends, regardless of field of battle. I'm sure you agree.
Old 25-04-17, 11:51
WO8 C15A 142736

Wow, thanks for the link Tony. Finally have a decent amount of download and now can watch links to video.
Old 25-04-17, 15:09
Tony VAN RHODA

Default Pleasure

Hi Guys

Thanks for your comments and input. It was a pleasure to post the video. I am glad it was appreciated and I knew I just had to share it seeing it was appropriate for ANZAC DAY.

Cheers

Tony