MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 17-07-17, 23:39

Default Dodge T110

Hi all, haven't posted on here before, have just been lurking!
I have recently purchased a dodge but am a bit confused as to its identity and it would be nice to know a bit more about it if anybody can help. It may be an American built truck as is left hand drive
It is missing the serial plate, but have found the engine and serial no as
T110L7 5244C
Any info much appreciated!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1545.jpg  
Old 18-07-17, 09:55
MLU Administrator

Tom,

Good to see you come out of hiding! That's a great truck, don't know much about Dodges but LHD versions were built in Canada as well.

This thread may have some more info for you: Dodge D-15 and D-60 info

HTH,
Hanno
Old 18-07-17, 23:43

Thanks, some interesting reading in there!
Old 19-07-17, 08:55

one thing to note is that the headlights are wrong for this model Dodge.

Beautiful truck though

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 20-07-17, 11:27

Tom,

Lovely truck! Please share some more pictures. It's hard to see, but it looks like is has a British body and that it does not have a seam above the windshield (?).

I think your truck is very similar to the one for sale at the ASPHM foundation in France.....and I have seen more for sale in France over the past few years. Just as Hanno said....Canadian production, but left hand drive, and possibly just post-war...also lacking the Canadian style marker lights in the front of the fenders.
http://www.asphm.fr/ventes/dodge_can...nada_t110.html

Just speculation, but I wonder if Chrysler Canada switched from RHD to LHD in 1945-1946???

regards,
Alex

Last edited by Alex van de Wetering; 20-07-17 at 12:00.
Old 22-07-17, 02:07
Brian Asbury

Tom,
I did some digging through my Dodge parts manuals: most of the Canadian-made 3-ton Dodges had orange covered manuals and specify "built for the British War Department". These trucks include to D60 etc. However based on your T110L-7 serial number this would indicate a model DD6-S, symbol T110L-7 (the DD4-S has symbol T110L-8). I have 3 versions of the parts book, all with blue covers and no mention of "for the British War Department": WM-4168, WM-4099 and WM-4168, all dated between May 1943 and August 1945. There were both LHD and RHD versions (based on the part number for the steering gears and certain light arrangements). So no problem that your truck is LHD and it was made during WW2 in Canada...... Brian
Old 22-07-17, 15:42
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCA View Post
Tom,
I did some digging through my Dodge parts manuals: most of the Canadian-made 3-ton Dodges had orange covered manuals and specify "built for the British War Department"....... Brian
Example: T110L-5 "For British Army"

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WW2-MILIT...8AAOSwepJXZKdh
Attached Thumbnails
T110L5.jpg  
Old 23-07-17, 23:22

Thank you very much, that has cleared up some of my questions nicely!!
Here are some more piccys of the truck, interestingly it has a single fuel tank under the cab and an American civvy dash, although the speedo has been changed at some point in life,
Also has anybody got a picture of the tow bar setup as mine is missing?
Thanks again!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1706.jpg   IMG_1705.jpg  
Old 24-07-17, 11:02

Default Guessing

T110's were produced mostly for the Commonwealth Forces, but also for use in Canada.

It looks like this was made for use in Canada, and maybe shipped overseas as aid post war. Your tow bar may not be missing - it may never have had one. Things like the LHD setup, cab fuel tank, and US pattern wheels / axles all point to a vanilla truck rather than the Commonwealth Forces version, but that would actually make it rarer.

It is possible that it is a standard Commonwealth Forces truck that has been re-cabbed and extensively altered, but there is just too much that suggests a truck made for the home front. Since it would probably have been produced at the same time at the Commonwealth T110 L7 trucks it would have been for military or essential civilan use though.