MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 21-07-17, 13:57

Default Deep Bronze Green

A friend asked me about having this paint made up. He has not posted here so I thought I would in case the answer is under our nose.

Before we re-invent the wheel, is there anyone who has had this colour made up and has cross references that the modern suppliers recognise? I know there is BS reference number

Home of the Maple Leaf Adapter
2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
Kawasaki KLR250 CFR 95-10908 ex PPCLI
Canadair CL70 CFR 58-91588
Armstrong MT500 serial CFR 86-78530
Two Canam 250s
Land Rover S3 Commanders Caravan Carawagon 16 GN 07
Trailer Cargo 3/4 T 2WHD 38 GJ 62
Old 21-07-17, 16:49
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

I would be surprised if a Canadian paint supplier could not make it up using the BS381c reference, Colour 224.

In Australia, it is also a standard colour under the Australian Standard AS2700 as Colour G63, and as a Standard colour it is available in a staggering array of paint types, even house paint and powdercoat.

But AS2700 didn't come into force until 1996. Some inquisitive restorers before this date discovered that PPG (Aust) had a colour in their references called "Ford Army Fleet Green" (we used Ford D Series trucks in the 60's/70's that were still DBG after the rest of the green fleet went OD. There was a reference number as well, I'll see if I can find that, although I can't be certain that the same number will be used by PPG in North America as well.

The Ford Australia paint code for DBG was F196. Could that have an NA equivalent?
Attached Thumbnails
gc4813692620088345000.jpg  
Old 21-07-17, 21:24

Civilian market Land Rovers back in 1960's/70's were painted in DBG as an option and I remember Massey Ferguson at that time, had a range of agricultural machinery paints and one shade was Land Rover Green (DBG), so there must be a US paint code for the older Land Rovers, unless this colour was not used on US Market models.
I used this paint on my ex-army BSA B40 motorcycle in early 70's and it was a perfect match.

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 22-07-17, 01:59

How close of a match is DBG to the factory original green Plessey used on the C-42 Set equipment?

David
Old 23-07-17, 00:19
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
How close of a match is DBG to the factory original green Plessey used on the C-42 Set equipment?

David
I'm not sure. I'm sure I've seen kit refinished using DBG, but am no longer certain about it's general application to things. (I also remember a long discussion in one of the Land Rover magazines about DBG changing colour over time, which may be yet another problem if you're trying to match colours.)

On the C42 front, I am advised:

The colour for Larkspur _sets_ is BS381c colour 298 Olive Drab gloss. This includes things like harness boxes and most accessories and general radio parts. Often, OD semi-matt seems also to have been used on some items.

Vehicle radio fittings are not so clearly defined. Many trays and metalwork bits seem to be in both OD and DBG and I haven't established a definite rule, but it could even be due to different manufacturer or maybe subsequent re-finishing.

(Hat tip to Andy Jackson for that information.)

Chris.