MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 15-08-07, 23:57
British Indian Army

Default The Book

Thanks everyone for the great responses. It is always very difficult as those of you who pen your work, to know exactly how to pitch a book, especially one which is likely to reach a wide audience. I was determined to try and put as much of what I discovered down on paper for all those interested. 304 pages could be used to cover one type of carrier alone! but compromises had to be made.

I hope that these books will kick up more information about these vehicles too, but rest assured I haven't ordered an anorak yet!!!!

I would like to thank all of you on MLU whom I have acknowledged in the book, because you all have come up with some brilliant information which has helped me, so thanks for that.

When you research a subject from different angles and archives in different places you keep discovering links between photographs and information which give you the wow factor, if you know what I mean. One such link I would like to share was a veterans report to me (featured in vol 3) in which he tells the story of his carriers driving up through syria in 1941, aquiring an extra carrier there! , and their commanding officer not discovering they had one extra. He mentioned their carriers were called Chelmsford and Colchester (the extra one was Southend-on-Sea). When this report came in to me I was sorting out photographs and had just looked out the one on page 86. This shows a bren carrier coming through a colonnade at speed, the name on the side, Chelmsford!
That is scary.

Anyway thanks again for your support and information.
Nigel

1942 Ford Utility 11YF
1942 10cwt GS Trailer
Old 21-08-07, 01:29
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default A copy for the Swords and Ploughshares Museum

Hi Nigel:

Your book looks great! I am just sorting out a UK address for you to post it to then I will go to your website to buy one on VISA.

The site has no way to allow for a billing address in Canada with a shipping address in the UK so I'd like to make those arrangements directly with you.

I will be passing through the UK on my way to Africa on 27 September and I would love to take the book with me as there will be long nights when I'm not teaching military staff courses.

I have a friend in London and I am just confirming that she would be willing to act as my Post Mistress.

Hope I'm not complicating your life!

Mike

www.calnan.com/swords
Old 21-08-07, 11:37
British Indian Army

Default Book for SA

Hi Mike

Once you know the address in the UK then just order it in the normal way. There is a "notes to me" box during the process where folk have written the text for their signed copy, use this and put the UK address in there with dates so I will know when and where to send it. I do all the packaging and mailing out myself from my own post office (spare bedroom!).

Thanks
Nigel

1942 Ford Utility 11YF
1942 10cwt GS Trailer
Old 21-08-07, 22:54

Default Canada/Scotland cooperation

Ta much, Nigel.

Slainte!

Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 26-09-07, 17:50

Default Canada/Scotland Cooperation!

Hi Nigel:

I sent in the order on your site. Please let me know on here if you got it all OK. The mailing address in Shepton Mallet is to a friend who will be joining our team in Nairobi and will bring the book to me.

I leave for London this afternoon and fly on to Nairobi Friday midday.

I will call from London to say thanks for sorting this out for me!

Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 26-09-07, 18:08
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Canada/Scotland Cooperation!

Quote:
Originally posted by Gunner
Then godbless & godspeed, sir! Keep in touch as you can, and try to stay out of the cathouses over there!

Old 26-09-07, 18:41
British Indian Army

Default Re: Canada/Scotland Cooperation!

Mike received order today 26th. Book in post to Shepton Mallet tomorrow as per instructions. Thanks and good luck in africa, give my regards to Thomsons Falls.
Nigel
Quote:
Originally posted by Gunner
Hi Nigel:

I sent in the order on your site. Please let me know on here if you got it all OK. The mailing address in Shepton Mallet is to a friend who will be joining our team in Nairobi and will bring the book to me.

I will call from London to say thanks for sorting this out for me!

Mike

1942 Ford Utility 11YF
1942 10cwt GS Trailer
Old 27-09-07, 01:59

Default Use of pictures

Hi Nigel,
Just ordered Volume 1. I am sure I will love it!

Don't know what your plans are for Volume 3 to any great detail, but if you could use any of the pics of 15 Recce's carriers to illustrate ANYTHING, just ask.

If there is anything you might be looking for, drop me a line and I will see what I have. If I shot it, no worries on rights. If I have something from someone else, I'll trak them down for contact.

Keep up the great work!
Cheers,
Jim Burrill
15 Recce LHA
Old 24-07-08, 22:36

Default Volume 2

Hello Nigel, recieved Volume 2 from your book yesteday, looks great ,thank you.

Green Greetings

Hendrik van Oorspronk
Willys MB
Austin K2 ATV
Welbike MK I
Volvo L475
Old 25-07-08, 01:21
Taisto Hako-oja

Nigel is book #2 out already? if so let me know so I can order one. Thank's Ty.
C.D. 2609.
BUILT MAR. 25, 1944.
CT 266677
Former WASP
Old 25-07-08, 17:19
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledsel View Post
Nigel is book #2 out already?
Oh, yes it is! See universalcarrierbook.co.uk
(*Anxiously accosts postman *)
Old 25-07-08, 19:49

Thumbs up

Bought mine at Beltring
Well done Nigel!
Old 25-07-08, 20:39

Default picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Smith View Post
Oh, yes it is! See universalcarrierbook.co.uk
(*Anxiously accosts postman *)

Hello tony, you want the picture?

Hendrik
Attached Images

Willys MB
Austin K2 ATV
Welbike MK I
Volvo L475
Old 04-08-08, 23:52

Well today is going to be a long day before its over and I will be at home again.
Why?
Well as we were about to leave the house this morning my son asked me if I knew a Nigel Watson, ...My ears pricked up, ....I woke up another notch and here was my son holding the box I have been patiently (well sort of) waiting for.
Again a well packaged book, it lasted the trip from the UK to NZ but the packaging was destroyed in a sub second to reveal ....The Second Book. Sitting on the front step at home, a quick flick through the pages made me want to ignore that early meeting with our biggest customer and read from cover to cover, then I was brought back to reality with "I'll be late for school", so roll on the end of the day.
In the short couple of minutes the book looks every thing we thought it would be.
Again Nigel you must be applauded for your work!!!

Many Thanks
Kev
Old 10-08-08, 01:45
Steve

These sound like terrific books and I'm passing on Nigel's book website to my wife and father in law as a Christmas present hint . I notice on the website it mentions Volume Two covers Local Pattern carriers, would this imply Australian and New Zealand-built vehicles? And I guess my second question is a complete long shot, but my main interest is the Australian 1-ton tracked truck GS (for which I am steadily working on 4-view CAD plans), is anything about these prototypes covered?

Steve.
Old 10-08-08, 11:15
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

The Aust LP carriers and Tracked Truck are featured, but Mike Cecil's booklet has more comprehensive coverage of the subject. Unfortunately, Mike and Nigel's books repeat the errors on the TT engine numbers originally made in the ARN register book, without trying to explain them.

Steve, would your surname start with "M", perhaps explaining your interest in 1 ton TT's?
Old 11-08-08, 02:35

Smile

[Bprobando ya que no entiendo como se hace, yo tengo un ford carrier t16 n 13588 march 1945[/B]
Old 14-08-08, 00:57
Steve

Thanks Tony,
Yes I am that Steve M, I love tracked cargo carriers of all sorts. I'm not expecting vast reams of info on the tracked truck, just nice to see it was mentioned. I have Mike Cecil's book and a few photos from the AWM website and am considering ordering the film footage of testing. I spent about three hours measuring up and photographing the tracked truck when I was last at the museum... and I still missed a few things. Luckily I've managed to synthesise a number of dimensions from my photos.

I've passed on Nigel's book site to the powers-that-be... I'm pretty confident my Chrissie prez' isn't going to be a pair of socks

Steve.
Old 14-08-08, 16:51
British Indian Army

Default UC Vol2 thanks

Thanks everyone for the great response to volume 2 of my book, it makes the hours of research worthwhile particularly as this book project grew from the need I had for details of my carrier.
The biase has had to be towards the English, Canadian and American carriers as I was unable to get over to Australia to undertake research on their carriers. The Australian and New Zealand pattern carriers I had to deal with from the English perspective as I don't believe one should write a factual book if one hasn't visited the country these vehicles were manufactured in.
I hope you find some new information about the Tracked Truck Steve, even if its a different view of a particular part.
I would also be interested Tony in the error of the engine number details as I would like to amend all errors in my last volume including the one on page 66 and 67!!

Beltring was great with a really successful book launch and Living History Display, as always it was great to meet everyone.

I will be puting out an official request for details and photos of every carrier owner soon for inclusion in a worldwide register. If someone else has started a register of carriers that exist today then please ask him/her to get in touch.

Thanks again everyone and I continue to read with great interest your carrier observations and discoveries.

Nigel

Nigel

1942 Ford Utility 11YF
1942 10cwt GS Trailer
Old 15-08-08, 17:40

Default Nige's book in Ottawa

Jiff:

Please bring the book to Ottawa for BBB3 so we can drool and dream about our copies!

Nigel: I'll be making my order shortly!

Cheers and Ubique! Mike- deeply buried in the bowels of a Windsor carrier!

www.calnan.com/swords
Old 17-08-08, 17:18
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Smith View Post
Unfortunately, Mike and Nigel's books repeat the errors on the TT engine numbers originally made in the ARN register book, without trying to explain them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Watson
I would also be interested Tony in the error of the engine number details as I would like to amend all errors..
The Australian Tracked Trucks were fitted with 239ci, 95hp 1942 mercury engines of the same type fitted to the CMP (C29QF 6097 A). These had an engine number in the form of 3GxxxxF. Some Australian CMPs, notably F15A's, had US sourced Mercury engines with numbers in the range 99TF56xxxx. Ford Australia only created new engine numbers for full factory reconditioned engines, and these numbers were in the form AV1Rxxxx, AV2Rxxxx, etc.

We see from the AWM register that TT 129991 (pilot model) was listed at a separate time to the "Production" vehicles. It would seem that the recorded engine number 3G50334F is correct.

The 11 (?) "Production" vehicles received the ARNs 149341 to 149351, a block of numbers between a large series of DUKWs. Chev/GM vehicles tended to record both a chassis number and an engine number. Ford vehicles usually only used the engine number . In Australian Army usage the Chev/GM Chassis number was stamped on the chassis rail, while Aust Fords stamped the Engine Number on the chassis, and this number is used as a vehicle "chassis" number. Comparing the records for the DUKWs and the Tracked Trucks, the recorded numbers are in "Engine Number" column of the register. For 149341, we see an interesting number recorded, C81T 6049. This is not the usual format for a Ford engine number, what is it? The design of the TT featured a Butterfly engine cover, with acces to the engine from the right hand side of the vehicle. If an inexperienced (or time-poor) person was sent out to find the engine number, upon opening the engine cover the first number he would spot is the part number for the right hand cylinder head cast into the head, C81T 6049. This number has been recorded as the engine number for 149341, but it is certainly NOT the engine number.

We could probably imagine the scene as the harried Office Boy returned to the office with his note pad proudly bearing a cylinder head part number.
"You clown! What's this?"
"It was the only number I could find on the engine!"
"If you can't find the Ford number on the Block, it will also be stamped on the Chassis. Now get going!"

Unfortunately, the Tracked Truck wasn't built by Ford Australia, but only used a Ford V8 supplied through Ford Aust. The manufacturer has used a simple SERIAL chassis number with a build date.Thus, we see that:
149344 has Chassis X901, built Aug '44.
149345 " Chassis X902, " Sep '44.
149346 " Chassis X903, " Sep '44.
149347 " Chassis X904, " Oct '44.
149348 " Chassis X905, " Oct '44.
149349 " Chassis X906, " Nov '44.
149350 Not recorded.
149351 " Chassis X908, " Feb '45.
149341 Not recorded.
149342 " Chassis X916, " Jul '45.
149343 Not recorded.

Note that -341, -343 and -350 have no chassis numbers recorded. Also of interest is that -342 is clearly shown as Chassis X916! There were apparently only 11 "Production" models made, so has the Office Boy poorly written X910 in a shaky copperplate script that has been transcribed as X916, or were there 16 made? See that from the build date of X908 to X916/910, 5 months has elapsed, a long time to make just 2 chassis. Or is it really that only 11 were made and -341, -343 and -350 are some combination of X907, X909 and X911?

Also note that Both 149345 and 149350 are shown as going to the United Kingdom.
Attached Thumbnails
TrackTruckARN.jpg   IMG_5312.JPG  
Old 17-08-08, 17:48
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

I have had a good look over the Tracked Truck at Puckapunyal (which is somewhat incomplete), and my surreptitious, furtive and even overt checking for any number stamped in the chassis or body failed to find anything in over 1/2 an hour of searching. Where was the Office Boy looking? Perhaps there was a Builder's Plate that has been souveniered? As far as I am aware, the identity of the Pucka TT has not been ascertained.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1237-1.JPG   TT Engine Bay.JPG   TT Underfloor.JPG   TT Underfloor 2.JPG   TT Towing Attach.JPG  

Old 17-08-08, 17:53
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

149344 still exists, and although in original paint, more components are missing and corrosion is somewhat worse. Despite knowing to look for the numbers X901 or 844, nothing could be found on the chassis.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0714.jpg   DSCN0715.jpg   DSCN0716.jpg  
Old 18-08-08, 04:39
Steve

Tony, thanks for the extremely interesting information. Yours are the first photos I've seen of the tracked Truck recovered in FNQ apart from the small pic that appeared in an old issue of 'Wheels & Tracks' some years ago. I wonder if it could be restored with a pair of refabricated steering arms for the idler, and half a dozen LP2A rear bogie units. It looks like it has more of the steering tie-rods intact than the Pucka one, and wasn't fitted with the marker light guards.

I too couldn't find any markings on the TT at Pucka, even though I spent a few hours looking and measuring the vehicle. It's a unique piece of Oz MV history and the totally home-grown aspect of it really appeals to me a lot (like the Sentinel).

Not wanting to hijack Nigel's book thread, perhaps a new thread just for the TT should be started?

Steve.
Old 25-08-08, 02:59
David Gordon

Hey Nigel,

My copy of Volume II arrived here in Texas over the weekend and it looks great. Another job well done

I skipped ahead to read the T-16 section first and found you have included some really good information. Now to start at the beginning and read up on the other carriers.

Keep up the good work.
'42 BSA M20 Motorcycle
'43 BSA Folding Military Bicycle
'43 BSA M20 Motorcycle
'44 Orme-Evans Airborne Trailer No. 1 Mk. II
'44 Airborne 100-Gallon Water Bowser Trailer
'44 Ford T-16 Universal Carrier
'44 Jowett Cars 4.2-Inch Towed Mortar
'44 Daimler Scout Car Mark II
'45 Studebaker M29C Weasel
Old 17-09-08, 15:47

Talking Carrier books received!

Hi Kids,

I know I am preaching to the choir here, but I have to praise Nigel Watson's carrier books -- and the alacrity of his service. I asked for surface mail but from email order to my front porch in Wilmington, Delaware was about a week or a shade more. Truly amazing.

The books are a treasure trove of mechanical and historical information, shared with wit and humor. Truly a labor of love. I impatiently await the third volume.

Cheers?

Bob Potter
Old 01-10-08, 05:11

Just got Vol 2 the other day. Ok so it sat in the house for a few weeks but I couldn't open it till my birthday today. The temptation was too great and I opened it Monday. it is excellent with all the information to be found in now two books. Very well done Nigel. I can't wait for Vol 3. I will be sure to send some photos in of mine with historical settings
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 01-10-08, 11:32
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Baker View Post
Just got Vol 2 the other day. Ok so it sat in the house for a few weeks but I couldn't open it till my birthday today. The temptation was too great and I opened it Monday. it is excellent with all the information to be found in now two books. Very well done Nigel. I can't wait for Vol 3. I will be sure to send some photos in of mine with historical settings
Happy belated birthday, Jordan!
Old 01-10-08, 15:08

Thanks Geoff
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 20-10-08, 02:12
Rod Shaver

Default Universal carrier book

Nigel,
So, when is volume 2 coming out? I am almost finished with my T-16. I may be done before I see your book. Rod Shaver