MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 01-08-12, 20:12

Default H licence question

hi Guys

this is most relevant for UK drivers, so apologies to the rest of you.

PLease take a look at the following and let me know that you agree with me that as I passed my driving test in 1978 I am entitled to drive a track layer?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...ions/DG_180694

As far as I am concerned its pretty clear, so why do so many bother to take their H licence?
Old 01-08-12, 20:20

Andrew,
I think that is only explaining the classes for different periods of time, the codes had changed. Not that you are entitled to all those classes.

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 01-08-12, 22:47

Andrew it's all a bit of a mystery! But unless your licence has the 'H' on it. You are not licensed for track laying.
Here is mine which I don't fully understand.
I passed my driving test around 1965. And yet it states 1975? This could be after a 10 year renewal and issue of a new licence.
I passed my motorcycle test in 1995, which is correct on the licence.
But I passed my H test about 7-8 years ago and yet it states 1975???

There must be an explanation, but I'm not about to even query it. Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Scan-120801-0001.jpg  
Old 01-08-12, 22:54

ummh, its all very confusing, although I think Richard may be correct in that the website link is showing the codes at various times in history. More delving required me thinks!
Old 02-08-12, 00:47

Go post the same question on the HMVF site, then pop down the shops and buy a six pack or two and a box of crisps.

Come home and watch the thread mushroom and the mods get very shirty.

Best amusement you can have!

Don't say you haven't been warned

R
Old 02-08-12, 00:49

Oh and while you are at it, ask the question "is a 432 too wide to road register in the UK". Dont forget to pop back down the off licence for
more beer.

R
Old 02-08-12, 00:53

Sitting here in Canada, it looks confusing to me. Perhaps if I lived with it, it would be better understood.
The only obvious "grandfathering" I saw for those licensed before 1997 was that people licensed then to drive cars can (continue to?) drive some larger vehicles.

My Ontario licence is good for classes B and M with endorsements Z and X
Those 4 letters let/limit me drive any motorcycle, car, bus, straight truck or emergency vehicle (except heavy articulateds) with trailers to 4500kg (with combinations of air, hydraulic or electric brakes, either standard or automatic transmission) for hire or for personal use as long as I wear spectacles.
In some ways I think your system makes more sense than ours. We have the possibility of a person learning to drive and having all of their experience in automatic transmissioned vehicles being allowed to operate a very large vehicle with a "standard" transmission without any training at all on shifting gears. Also, people of limited expreience and training are permitted to operate commercial vehicles to 13000 +/- kg without a "higher class" of license. The lack of basic competence displayed when they are driving cars would be scary to lethal in a larger truck.

If you are curious about our classes of license a link is at: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan.../classes.shtml Other provinces have different rules and it can be a challenge to keep all privileges when moving between provinces (sometimes even from one to another and then back to the first province). Although I'm not sure, I think most tracked vehicles are considered as equipment rather than vehicles and are thus not licensed and the drivers are thus not licensed as well? I do know of a person who had lost his driver's license for drunk driving but drove his road grader to the job site by public roads without apparent fear of consequence on the principle that he didn't need a license to operate equipment, only to drive vehicles (but I'm not sure if he was acting legally or flouting the law).

Last edited by Grant Bowker; 02-08-12 at 02:28. Reason: Added link to Ontario license classes.
Old 02-08-12, 01:04

Grant,

sorry to interrupt, but current Ontario "A" class, tractor trailer (or articulated lorry for you UK folks) requires that you pass the test on a standard or manual gearbox.

R
Old 02-08-12, 02:16

Robin,
Fair enough, but I don't claim to have an A licence, can only really speak to things within my experience and didn't think I said that you could get an A on an automatic (although there is the A with R endorsement that might let automatics in). I am 100% certain that B or D can be obtained without proof of competence on a standard transmission. I know that I have never been required to demonstrate competence on a manual transmission on any of my road tests (but all vehicles I own are manual transmission).
Isn't an inadequately skilled person driving a large, heavy straight truck or a full motor coach or school bus scary enough?
Old 02-08-12, 06:33

Grant, your buddy who had the impaired charge should not have been able to drive any type of vehicle in it with a motor. Its Impaired operation of a motor vehicle. That charge usualy leads to a suspended license that can prohibit the person from being behind the wheel of any motorized vehicle. I know that even motorized lawn mowers being used on private property would be considered a breach of conditions for the inpaired charge. I'd think heavy machinery would easily qualify.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 02-08-12, 07:39
Richard Harrison

Cat H only for tracked units, apply for photo card licence but remember to put on that you wish to retain your tracked licence. (if you have it)

__5th Div___46th Div__
1942 Ford Universal Carrier No.3 MkI*
Lower Hull No. 10131
War Department CT54508 (SOLD)
1944 Ford Universal Carrier MkII* (under restoration).
1944 Morris C8 radio body (under restoration).

Last edited by RichardT10829; 02-08-12 at 10:18.
Old 02-08-12, 09:42

Andrew, without wanting to piss on your firework! I'm quite sure that if you haven't actually taken a track vehicle driving test, there will be no automatic entitlement. Ron
Old 02-08-12, 10:23
Richard Harrison

To my knowledge grandfathers rights do not cover this category of vehicle... So I think Ron is right, mind as a brick layer my experience with the DVLA is that nothing is straight forward with them and there are often anomalys with these things.... Contact DVLA ASAP before driving your carrier again

__5th Div___46th Div__
1942 Ford Universal Carrier No.3 MkI*
Lower Hull No. 10131
War Department CT54508 (SOLD)
1944 Ford Universal Carrier MkII* (under restoration).
1944 Morris C8 radio body (under restoration).
Old 02-08-12, 11:32
Paul

Re the H category, I have this on my licence too as I passed my driving test in 1975. I always understood these categories to be provisional entitlement only ie under instruction. They do not entitle anyone to drive unaccompanied.

Regards

Paul

Its a simple matter to pass an H test in the UK though, there are several places where you can go to do this....
Old 03-08-12, 08:58
Adrian Barrell

Paul is correct, you will have a provisional entitlement for tracklayers on L plates but if you have not passed a tracklaying test, you are not licenced to drive one.
Old 03-08-12, 19:37

thanks for all the inputs. I did try to speak with DVLA today, but gave up as the automated phone thingy was sending me bonkers.

Will let you know what DVLA say when they check the records.

On to my new problem now, see new post
Old 04-08-12, 15:46
Barry

Default UK only

Paul and Adrain are correct.

If you have a full UK license you can drive a tracked vehicle on a provisional with L plates and must be accompanied by somebody who has a full H licence.

To drive without L plates and not accompanied by a driver with a a full H licences you must take and take andpass a H licence test.

Do not drive your carrier on the public road without a license, it is an easy nick for plod !!

Barry
Old 04-08-12, 17:14

As if!! Andrew would really be 'BRICKING' it if he did. Ron