Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Restored Ford LYNX for sale in QLD

Spotted this

http://www.g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=182960
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 01-05-11, 06:05
David Gordon

It is also currently running on eBay as a buy-it-now. Nice scout car all around and I'd be tempted to sell my restored T-16 Universal Carrier to get it but it would probably be long gone before I could even get a proper sales ad written.
'42 BSA M20 Motorcycle
'43 BSA Folding Military Bicycle
'43 BSA M20 Motorcycle
'44 Orme-Evans Airborne Trailer No. 1 Mk. II
'44 Airborne 100-Gallon Water Bowser Trailer
'44 Ford T-16 Universal Carrier
'44 Jowett Cars 4.2-Inch Towed Mortar
'44 Daimler Scout Car Mark II
'45 Studebaker M29C Weasel
Old 01-05-11, 07:56

Default Canadian Ford Lynx for sale in Australia - eBay April 30 2011

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1944-...item3a65944c3c eBay auction ENDS May 6, 2011 Buy it now @ US $38,000
(the good news is that our dolalr is higher right now). Add tax, shipping.

The Lynx on eBay is apparently a very nice one. I was in correspondencee with the chap who restored it -- Cam Finlay in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Hull was uncut. It had been found in a children's playground (ironically with a swastika painted on by vandals) and was restored. The Australian Registration Number (ARN) 123970 is original to this vehicle and shows up in photos Cam sent me when it was found. He was selling it but it was and is out of my price range. Looks like seller now may be different.

A LOVELY and RARE Canadian made vehicle. Standard Ford V-8 WWII engine. A classic WWII one. Reg Hodgson brought his Ford Lynx back to Canada from Oz. Any Canadians out there able to do so now for this one? There are very FEW of these vehicles left with only about 5 that I know of in Canada. There was another one for sale in Oz a couple of years ago but that one had a modern automatic transmission fitted. At least one Aussie one has gone to England.

Only thing I see wrong with this Lynx on eBay is the US bar tread tires. Perhaps Ferret wheels/tires could be fitted?

By the way, I just happen to have three ORIGINAL manuals for sale for the Ford Lynx Scout Car now that I have faced reality and decided that I cannot afford a Lynx Scout Car and am not likely to find a barn find one locally (though one was found at an abandoned logging camp on Stave lake about 50 miles from here and has since been salvaged and restored and is now on display in Chillwack.) - I have both the Operator's and the Maintenance manuals. Not cheap though.

Colin Stevens, Richmond, BC, Canada seaforth72@gmail.com
Former owner Ferret Mk. I CAR 54-82598

Colin MacGregor Stevens, CD
Richmond, BC

Last edited by Hanno Spoelstra; 02-05-11 at 19:08. Reason: formatting
Old 02-05-11, 02:53
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default headlight

I'm no expert, but I thought they were fitted with a standard cab 12 style headlights. That one on it looks odd .
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 02-05-11, 22:54
Frankencarrier owner

I need to build a new garage first... Sure is a beaut.
Old 03-05-11, 01:48

Default I need to win a lottery!!!!

Who has the privately owned Lynx's in Canada? Do you think a LAAT/Bofors/HUW/C-8/ F-15 and numerous wrecks would be enough to do the deal on one of these??? I'll even throw in a Black Brandt rocket nozzel!!! Cheers for now Rob
1943 FAT/ 17 pounder
1941 C15 GS 2B1
Old 03-05-11, 05:44
M38CDN M37 M100 MJ TM

Default Privately owned Lynx in Canada

Hi Rob,

Attached photo of Reg Hodgson's Lynx.
Regards, Al
Attached Images

Old 06-05-11, 00:08
Tony Cochrane

Have made a time to go and view it today (6/05/11), will post some pics when I get a chance

Tony
Old 06-05-11, 00:23
David Gordon

I was trading messages with the seller since I also had some interest in the vehicle. But in four days, he has yet to answer any specific questions or provide any other photos. Several things looked suspect to me even though it has a nice overall presentation as it sits.

Most of my questions were basic so I'm baffled as to why he replies quickly, but not with any answers. Things like is it still original 6volt or changed over to 12volt. Is it the original engine, a wartime period type replacement or a modern engine. etc, etc.

I've given up now and won't pursue it. Still interested in seeing photos though
'42 BSA M20 Motorcycle
'43 BSA M20 Motorcycle
Old 06-05-11, 01:25
Tony Cochrane

Too easy
Old 06-05-11, 03:37
Armour Owner x 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsa View Post
I was trading messages with the seller since I also had some interest in the vehicle. But in four days, he has yet to answer any specific questions or provide any other photos. Several things looked suspect to me even though it has a nice overall presentation as it sits.

Most of my questions were basic so I'm baffled as to why he replies quickly, but not with any answers. Things like is it still original 6volt or changed over to 12volt. Is it the original engine, a wartime period type replacement or a modern engine. etc, etc.

I've given up now and won't pursue it. Still interested in seeing photos though
David

These days there are lots of photo, serial number and "details" collectors out there who make detailed enquiries, string a seller along but don't have the ready funds or wherewithal to make a purchase. What is often called a "tyre kicker".
It is such a problem in Europe and the UK that most sellers refuse to communicate by email and require a phone call, even if it is an international one from an enquirer. If you don't believe me, have a good look through Milweb. This is particularly so with dealers, who often come across as abrupt and rude and uninterested in a sale. One major dealer I know totally ignores re-enactors as in his words "they are full on until it comes time to pay".

A very quick way to get a seller off side is to put details on a public forum such as this. The old saw "gentlemen do not discuss other gentlemen's business in public" comes to mind.

As someone who has purchased a vehicle from another country, it is no small undertaking, I would think you would need to demonstrate that you have the wherewithal to do so before most sellers would take you seriously.

Lastly, since when has 4 days been an unconscionable time span for a reply. Have you considered he may not be near a computer during the week?

Regards
Doug
Old 06-05-11, 04:15
David Gordon

Hey Doug,

Points well taken. But I never said there was no reply in four days. I got prompt replies to every message I posted (which I thought I mentioned in my previous post). But sadly no answers to the questions.

I don't want to bash this as it is done for me now. But timely reply to inquires would seem important as this vehicle was simultaneously posted for sale on several forums and on eBay.

I was communicating my requests for information to the seller directly and privately. I have nine replies from him but no details. I've purchased and restored a few vehicles and imported items from numerous countries including Australia so know the ropes. And the seller was aware of this because he saw photos of several of my restorations including one recently recovered from Australia.

I know the seller monitors this forum as he has posted to me since I put the previous message on this thread. And I've no doubt he has many friends watching his back. All well and good. I've no issue with him and wish him all the best in selling the Lynx and having the money to buy the vehicle he and I discussed which he wants to get.

Guess we'll see if it sells tomorrow when the eBay listing closes. All I can say for sure is it won't be me buying it.
'42 BSA M20 Motorcycle
'43 BSA M20 Motorcycle
Old 06-05-11, 08:44
Armour Owner x 3

Quote:
Hey Doug,

Points well taken. But I never said there was no reply in four days. I got prompt replies to every message I posted (which I thought I mentioned in my previous post). But sadly no answers to the questions.
-snip-
David

I stand corrected, reading your post again, you do say no details rather than no reply.

International purchases are never easy.

Regards
Doug
Old 06-05-11, 10:40
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Greville View Post
These days there are lots of photo, serial number and "details" collectors out there who make detailed enquiries, string a seller along but don't have the ready funds or wherewithal to make a purchase. What is often called a "tyre kicker".
Indeed international sales can be somewhat difficult, the langauge barrier being the first hurdle to take. These days sellers often state "for the serious collector only please" or something to that effect. Well, this sentence can be interpreted in various ways - let's look it up in the dictionary:

se·ri·ous
1. of, showing, or characterized by deep thought.
2. of grave or somber disposition, character, or manner: a serious occasion; a serious man.
3. being in earnest; sincere; not trifling: His interest was serious.

col·lec·tor
1. a person or thing that collects.
2. a person employed to collect debts, duties, taxes, etc.
3. a person who collects books, paintings, stamps, shells, etc., especially as a hobby.

So a "serious collector" could be someone who collects pictures or vehicle details as a hobby, but also a tax man who is not making jokes about the amount of money he is coming to collect! Probably beter to be frank and state "anyone interested in the item better bring a huge pile of cash"!

Regards,
Hanno
Old 06-05-11, 10:54
MLU Administrator

Back to subject: here's hoping this Lynx finds a good new home. See An Australian Ford Lynx restoration for more pics. Can't vouch for the details, but at least it was restored from an uncut and undamaged hull.

Hanno
Old 06-05-11, 11:43

Quote:
I was communicating my requests for information to the seller directly and privately. I have nine replies from him but no details. I've purchased and restored a few vehicles and imported items from numerous countries including Australia so know the ropes. And the seller was aware of this because he saw photos of several of my restorations including one recently recovered from Australia.

I know the seller monitors this forum ......
I see the listing price has dropped, and there is now a comment for a certain DG from TX!
Old 06-05-11, 12:28
MLU Moderator

Please note that if people are going to use this forum to start throwing mud at each other I will close this thread.

Thank you for your consideration!

Hanno
Old 12-05-11, 03:05

Didn't the Mk I Lynx have a folding metal roof and the Mk II simply employed a canvas cover? The photo in the eBay ad Colin posted shows a metal cover on the Lynx. Is this really a Mk I, or did the Australians modify the Mk II locally to fit a folding metal top?
Old 21-05-11, 12:11

Hey this is 5 minuites up the road from me!!..... small world. If anyone is still interested happy to check it out for you if you are interested & a long way away...

Rob