MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 14-07-07, 07:56
Vets Dottir 2nd

Talking How's your weather today thread

Hi Folks,

Looking for weather and climate conditions reports here.

Currently 29c (feels much hotter) where I am right now at 11:53 p.m. Mountian Time (my time/Mountain time/Edmonton time)... much cooled off from earler ... expected to hit high mid thirties again tomorrow and next day methinks ...

And you? How's the weather? Mama nature acting up there right now?

Ma Yappy ... too hot to stay cool ...
Old 14-07-07, 08:19
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Melbourne

At 4:15 on a winter's Saturday afteroon is cool and sunny, some rain this morning, currently sitting at about 10C, just the weather to be outside splitting firewood. Outside all is green and the Wintersweet is fragrantly flowering on the edge of the deck.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 14-07-07, 08:53
Vets Dottir 2nd

Cool ..... that flower photo is actually "refreshingly cool" to look at Keefy Verra nice report. And nice to see a plant that doesn't look like it's starving for water ...

Things turning brown here (except me. I'm still pale from lack of being out in the sun ) ... leaves getting very dry from the heat, on the trees and shrubs, on top of the fact that many trees leaves and foliage being eaten by some bug (green worms probably. There have been tons of them hanging from the trees like spiders web silken threads) The trees look sad

(HEY!!!! AVG just popped up a window saying that it just "healed" a threatening trojan (why HEAL it? Why not kill the darned thing? ) ... trees ain't the only things got bugs Thanks to AVG looking out for my new harddrive and installs)

Blah blah blah .......

Thanks for the awesome phot Keith
Old 14-07-07, 20:13

Hi

Today was 54C, clear and sunny, O% humidity, up until mid-afternoon when a dust storm blew in and lowered the temp to about 52C.

I like these cool days.

regards
Darrell
Old 14-07-07, 20:24

Hi

Oh, so you like flowers, eh?

How about some of the local veg in an 25mm APFSDS-T ammo can? Don't ask me what kind of plant it is though.

regards
Darrell
Attached Thumbnails
flowers 1small.jpg  
Old 14-07-07, 20:25
Vets Dottir 2nd

Quote:
Originally posted by Darrell Zinck
Hi

Today was 54C, clear and sunny, O% humidity, up until mid-afternoon when a dust storm blew in and lowered the temp to about 52C.

I like these cool days.

regards
Darrell
Yikes ... I'll quit my whining about our mid to high 30's then. You folks must go through the water ... well ... like water

Karmen
Old 14-07-07, 20:28
Vets Dottir 2nd

Hey Darrell ... your flowers showed up after I posted ... but one of the thoughts I had about the hig and dry temps there is "How can ANYTHING grow there!!!!!! You must be sharing your wter rations. Ma Yappy is proud of you, or whoever is TLC-ing the flowers garden ... Awesome to see some flowers growing in your days I'll bet

Ma Yappy
Old 14-07-07, 20:30
Vets Dottir 2nd

pssssssssssssst PS: I totally love the planter ... and the plant looks absolutely succulent. Don't eat it!
Old 14-07-07, 20:48
Vets Dottir 2nd

Quote:
Originally posted by Darrell Zinck
Hi

Oh, so you like flowers, eh?

How about some of the local veg in an 25mm APFSDS-T ammo can? Don't ask me what kind of plant it is though.

regards
Darrell
This looks much like that plant ... aka Red Spike Ice Plant ?

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plan...Red_Spike.html
Old 14-07-07, 23:44
WO8 C15A 142736

Default cool morning

At 6:30 this morning ( Sunday ) -2 and everything is white, made me wish I had split the wood last night. Frost went to the top of the hill 1000' above the house.
Old 18-07-07, 11:21
Derek Heuring

Default Texas floods

Well, it's taken a very long time but Summer has finally hit Texas. I don't know if Texas news filters around the world, but after several years of drought, Mother Nature has seen fit to refill all the lakes and reservoirs in just one season. Both May and June have set rainfall records for most rain in one day and one month. Here in Corinth we received 8" of rain in one evening and the city of Austin received 19" in one day! Several people have drowned after being swept away when rivers have crested their banks and many counties have been declared disaster areas. There are few boats out on the lakes currently as the launching ramps and access roads to them are still under water. The weather has only just recently settled down and the temperatures are just starting to rise to summer norms. We're seeing mid to high 90's and should be hitting the 100's any day now. With all the standing water slowly evaporating the humdity is extremely high so the perceived temperature is much higher.
Old 18-07-07, 11:26
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Cool in Melbourne

We've had our second day of (for us) very cold temperatures here - yesterday breaking a 9 year record. There was snow on nearby hills and many vehicle mishaps due to black ice.

We've also had our average rainfall for the month of July and we still have a week and a half to go.

Incredible rains in Texas! Bit like East Gippsland recently.

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 18-07-07, 12:40
Vets Dottir 2nd

Default Re: Texas floods

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
Well, it's taken a very long time but Summer has finally hit Texas. I don't know if Texas news filters around the world, but after several years of drought, Mother Nature has seen fit to refill all the lakes and reservoirs in just one season. Both May and June have set rainfall records for most rain in one day and one month. Here in Corinth we received 8" of rain in one evening and the city of Austin received 19" in one day! Several people have drowned after being swept away when rivers have crested their banks and many counties have been declared disaster areas. There are few boats out on the lakes currently as the launching ramps and access roads to them are still under water. The weather has only just recently settled down and the temperatures are just starting to rise to summer norms. We're seeing mid to high 90's and should be hitting the 100's any day now. With all the standing water slowly evaporating the humdity is extremely high so the perceived temperature is much higher.
I had heard a bit of news but someone I talk to online quite often in Texas told me some of whats been happening with the floodings. Those poor people who lost their lives ... people must be in shock ... these floods show no mercy for people and property

Our weather has been like yours regards the temps lately (we're expected to hit 39c by Friday or Sat) and we're under severe weather warnings for electrical storms, although we had a bit of this tonight and expect more today, we're okay right now. As to floods, we aren't near any water that can get to us as far as I know but we've had some wicked winds occassionally ... almost tornado ... the big worry here is fires. So dry and getting dryer every day.

I don't know what to say for all those peope badly effected (and worse) by your floods .... I always feel so helpless when I hear about disasters and the like. I wish I could fix it for everyone and make things right again.

Keefy ... do you want me to send you some mukluks, a buffalo coat and a beaver hat?

BTW ... I had just crawled back into bed to get some sleep when I heard, LOUD and close by, what sounded like gunshot (I doubt it was fireworks!!!) ... a few moments later a bit farther away I heard 2 more close together but the last one a bit farther away sounding ... so I called the cops (RCMP detachment takes care of this town as there are no "city cops") The woman took my report and sounded like she was typing up a storm as I talked. I tried describing the sounds. I told her I wasn't 100% positive it was gunshot but felt pretty sure they were. I would rather it be fireworks and maybe they were? The woman was glad I called and told me they sent someone out right away ... so ... that little adrenalin rush got me up again so here I be. This reminds me how often helicopters have been flying low over here the last couple of days and I've been thinking they're probably looking for someone, so fireworks or gunshot, I'm glad I called ... just in case. I called pretty soon after hearing this and they had no other calls at that point ... normal people are sleeping though LOL
That was less than half hour before I logged in here.

Oh ... I also just remembered that cop cars HAVE been cruising right around my block yesterday and one was parked in the alley for a while yesterday morning. I wonder who they're looking for and I hope they catched 'em ...

Extremes.
Natural disasters.
People created disasters aka criminals ...

Is there no delete key for these elements?

Old 18-07-07, 12:51
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Cops and choppers

Quote:
BTW ... I had just crawled back into bed to get some sleep when I heard, LOUD and close by, what sounded like gunshot (I doubt it was fireworks!!!) ... a few moments later a bit farther away I heard 2 more close together but the last one a bit farther away sounding ... so I called the cops (RCMP detachment takes care of this town as there are no "city cops") The woman took my report and sounded like she was typing up a storm as I talked. I tried describing the sounds. I told her I wasn't 100% positive it was gunshot but felt pretty sure they were. I would rather it be fireworks and maybe they were? The woman was glad I called and told me they sent someone out right away ... so ... that little adrenalin rush got me up again so here I be. This reminds me how often helicopters have been flying low over here the last couple of days and I've been thinking they're probably looking for someone, so fireworks or gunshot, I'm glad I called ... just in case. I called pretty soon after hearing this and they had no other calls at that point ... normal people are sleeping though LOL
That was less than half hour before I logged in here.
We've had Black Hawk helicopters buzzing past our house at low level for much of this evening - the only lighting is the red nav light. They're doing some sort of exercise. I looked on it as an impromptu personal airshow so it's nice to see the taxes at work from my own abode.

I hope the Mounties get your baddie - don't they always get their man?

42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Old 18-07-07, 13:03
Vets Dottir 2nd

Default Re: Cops and choppers

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb
I hope the Mounties get your baddie - don't they always get their man? [/B]
Of course they do, silly

I didn't actually see the helicopters as I didn't go out to look, just heard them flying low and close and remember being curious and thinking they're probably looking for someone.

The cops sirens really have been busier the last few days so something must be up. I still don't know the local radio station but I should find out and turn it on once in a while to find out what's happening in this town

Wow ... it's now 5:00 a.m. here ... and I made sme coffee so may be up a bit longer ..........................................

While up I should make up a new version of a rain dance that will call "just enough" rain (BE SPECIFIC!) and maybe a dance to cure the worlds ills while I'm at it ....

Old 18-07-07, 15:31
The Original CMP Site!

Default Re: How's your weather today thread

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir 2nd
Hi Folks,

Looking for weather and climate conditions reports here.
Western Australia is still suffering badly from drought. It's the middle of July and the crops are only about an inch out of the ground around Kulin. Further north, it is much more desperate, many farmers around Geraldton have decided to not even start seeding. This will be their second year of failed crops in a row. Todays newspaper ran a story on the amount of sheep and cattle the farmers are having to sell because there is no pasture to feed them on. Most are being exported to the Middle East, they are getting them very cheaply. Meanwhile, we locals still pay top dollars for our meat and even when it rains again, there will be a major shortage of stock.

There is some little hope on the horizon, a couple of strong cold fronts are moving in tomorrow and Saturday and they might bring some much needed rain. That's if another high pressure system doesn't come in and push the fronts to the south.

Meanwhile, it's 17C at 2130 hrs here in Kulin, very warm for this time of the year, normally it would be about 5C at this time and zero in the mornings.

Sorry for being a bit depressing but I'm just telling it like it is.

Cheers
Rod
C60S x 2
Rover Light Armoured Car
Old 18-07-07, 20:49
Vets Dottir 2nd

That is "continueing" bad news to still be hearing from there, Rod The droughts really hurting a lot of peoples lives and livelihoods for sure, from all I hear from people. I really wish for something to give and turn things around ...

Karmen
Old 27-06-11, 14:35

It's about 30C here today, pretty warm by Dutch means. We are expecting thunder tomorrow

Attached is a pic of today.

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
poppys2.jpg  
Old 28-06-11, 04:03
Terry Warner

Default Hot enough for you?

Hot and humid day, not especially bad but glad there is a/c. Had two guys installing a new fence between me and the neighbours'. Scrawny old guy, half broken down and a thirties hard muscled one. The old guy was the labourer, the young one the tradesman. They took down wire, levered out old concreted-in posts, dug new post holes with hand tools, then mixed new concrete. hauled it by wheelbarrow and set in a dozen new red cedar posts. Clean up and drive home after dark. Today is only three days after the longest day of the year. I am reminded that I get paid a whole lot more money than I actually work to earn.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 28-06-11, 15:55
carrier mech

42Celsius here in Kandahar again today. If the breeze blows it feels like standing in front of a hair drier. You might be clean for the walk to work, but one truck passes you at 30kmh and you are covered with the fine talc like dust that is everywhere here.

Cannot wait to get home to Canada next week to some rain and some green grass.
Old 28-06-11, 19:08
former Resident Historian

Default Summer is 'ere

It's been up to 32C/90 or so F...and then today it was hot but suddenly the temp dropped! The car's thermometer has suggested it was 100F inside. However it has been humid from Saturday...and that's something I can't cope with.

All our three cars have air con thank goodness! We have had rain and up in the north they are worried about flash floods from storms.