MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 26-01-07, 01:27
canadiansoldiers.com

Default Infantry Division Recce Regiment Unit Signs

In December 1940, an enclosure to War Office letter No. 57/Overseas/273 (S.D.11.) noted that the Unit Sign for a “Reconnaissance Unit” in an infantry division was the number 41 on a black square.

By 1942, the standard "41" on a green-over-blue square was the norm. I am going through my copy of Dingwall and also Beldam's magnum opus but I don't see it - do we have any idea when the coloured background changed from black to green/blue?

I'm also aware that the Divisional recce battalions (later named as regiments) were not formed until early 1941, so am not sure what the "reconaissance unit" being referred to in 1940 is - this was a British War Office document, and I know they created their own Reconnaissnce Corps slightly ahead of the Canadians, so perhaps this does not apply to Canadian units?

That being said, did the brigade reconnaissance squadrons use the Unit Sign of the brigade headquarters to which they were assigned?
Old 26-01-07, 20:38

Michael, do you have a copy of Michael D. Taylor's 1994 update to "British Military markings 1939 - 1945" ?

There is a paragraph which may be of interest to you which states :

"GHQ MEF issued on 21 September 1941 a letter, reference CRME/27954/GSD.2b which cancelled all previous instructions concerning vehicle markings..."

The list shows "76" and "98" on Green / Blue, horizontal for the Senior and Junior Armd. Car Regts respectively.

Taylor goes on to state "This is the first appearance so far traced of the Green/Blue horizontal markings for recce units. Although these serials are peculiar to MEF it is likely that the grant of a corps service colour was the prerogative of the War Office, thus indicating the issue of a, so far unidentified, letter on the same subject some time prior to September 1941".
Old 26-01-07, 20:42
canadiansoldiers.com

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Payne
Michael, do you have a copy of Michael D. Taylor's 1994 update to "British Military markings 1939 - 1945" ?

There is a paragraph which may be of interest to you which states :

"GHQ MEF issued on 21 September 1941 a letter, reference CRME/27954/GSD.2b which cancelled all previous instructions concerning vehicle markings..."

The list shows "76" and "98" on Green / Blue, horizontal for the Senior and Junior Armd. Car Regts respectively.

Taylor goes on to state "This is the first appearance so far traced of the Green/Blue horizontal markings for recce units. Although these serials are peculiar to MEF it is likely that the grant of a corps service colour was the prerogative of the War Office, thus indicating the issue of a, so far unidentified, letter on the same subject some time prior to September 1941".
I do not have that book - but the information you just provided is invaluable! I am in your debt.