MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 15-11-05, 22:58

Default May I ask for a little advise

Where I live there is no broadband, or other high speed internet.

Not even ISDN work correctly here.

This means I get connect sppeds of about 28,000 baud rate.

I am thinking of upgrading my PC, and thought that if I had more ram and processing speed, that it might overcome my existing problem, that it takes forever to download, particularly photos.

Before I go down that track, does anyone know if things will improve, or is it my connection speed that is holding things up.

Many thanks

Regards

Col Tigwell
Downunder
Old 15-11-05, 23:43

your connection speed is the problem not your computer. So no matter how powerful or fast your computer is it will make no difference at all.

cheers
Cliff
Old 16-11-05, 02:36
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Cliff's right regards internet connection speeds. You're limited to the data transfer speeds associated with the speed of your connection. The ONLY way your computer might be 'slower than normal' is if it's chock full of spyware operating in the background. Download and run ADAWARE and SPYBOT to combat these, if they.re a factor at all.

I was on a dialup out in Zephyr and it was the same; text updates quickly but graphics are a bear. You're kind of stuck. Your only other option is satellite access, but that's only one-way and it's expensive.
Old 16-11-05, 08:49

Thanks for your kind assistance

Regards

Col
Old 16-11-05, 13:08
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Col, have look at http://www.whirlpool.net.au/ which is a broadband choice forum.
You're in the Bridgetown in WA , right? Broadband is available there.
Enter your phone number in the top right of the opening page.
A search on the Whirlpool site using the Tourist Info Centre's number came up with this:

"TECHNICAL DETAILS
Number: (08) 9761 xxxx
Exchange: BRIDGETOWN
CCA: BUNBURY
State: Western Australia
Class: Regional2
Ports: 159 ports available
Your telephone line is connected to the Bridgetown exchange.
This exchange has been enabled for ADSL service.
At last count, the exchange had 159 ports available.

In terms of pricing, Bridgetown is classed as Regional 2.

Please note that while the Bridgetown exchange supports ADSL, this is no guarantee that your physical phone line is up to scratch. A conclusive test can only be done upon registering for a service. "

A check through Whirlpool will also show and compare which Broadband providers will service that area and their prices.
Old 16-11-05, 22:45

Thanks Tony, but I live too far away from the exchange to get ADSL.

There is talk that they may put a hub in closer to us, but at the moment there is not enough customers.

For the time being we will wait for the downloads.

When we go to ADSL, will I still need two pairs of lines.

At the moment we have two numbers, one for the house phone, and one for the internet.

Regards

Col
Old 16-11-05, 23:40

No you just need one line to use both your phone and have ADSL as well. The normal phone line has 4 wires...2 are used for the phone and the other 2 for your ADSL. You can chat on the phone while you lurk in MLU forum

cheers
Cliff
Old 17-11-05, 13:12
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally posted by herkman
....but I live too far away from the exchange to get ADSL.
The normal acceptable distance here is approximately 6 km. I don't know how much money you have to play with, Col, but you could negotiate with the telephone company to install a business circuit with repeaters, to keep the line loss to a minimum. It would cost you more than DSL though, and if your cable is loaded they may not be able to provide. Check it out.

As I said, the alternative is satellite access. We've had it here now for a long time. Basically, it's set up this way: you receive through the satellite at DSL speeds, but transmit through your land line. That's usually OK if you're not in the habit of transmitting a high volume of data (most internet users aren't). The disadvantage is that you have to pay for both the land line access and the satellite access, but it's what I'll do when I move back to the country.
Old 17-11-05, 19:45

Thank you all for your kind advice, it is much appreciated.

Telestra have now come back and said that ADSL will be available in January, as they are putting in a new hub, only 2 km away.

At the moment I have two lines into the house, and I will be able to cancel the second one, which will pay the cosr of DSL with unlimited downloads.

I do a lot of work with veterans with Vet Affairs, and this will will allow me to reduce the time on processing claims.

Regards and best wishes to you all

Col
Old 18-11-05, 02:00

Default Computer speed

I also live more than 4kms from an exchange and can not get broadband. I have had ISDN installed which is in effect 2 phone lines in one. It doubles the speed from 64kB to 128kB and allows you to use the telephone while on the net. It drops down to 64kB while on the phone, but it means you can make and recieve calls when someone is on the computer.
Grant Fincher
Old 18-11-05, 03:03

Yes we had ISDN, but it was a disaster, eight visits and two control boxes later, the techo's said give it away, it is nolt going to work.

What was happening was when on the net, could often make calls on other line, no dial tone.

Well you are not meant to win them all

Regards

Col
Old 24-11-05, 03:23
Likes Wusty Old Twuks

Default Technology Correction

ADSL is rolling out across Australia as demand dictates. It can transmitt up to 7km on a perfect bit of copper but this does not exist in a carriers network. Most networks have numerous joints as they are distributed along roadways to customers homes and often take round routes to get there. So to cover this carriers draw a circle around your exchange or rim at about 3.6KM.
ADSL service base data transmission packages are being offered at the 2 meg mark or about 45 times more download speed than a dail up. The speed can be turned up substantially if you are willing to pay for it.
ADSL requires only 1 pair for voice and data services as they are sent down the same piece of copper on different frequencies. You will need to buy an ADSL modem at about $65.00 dollars and put dail up one in the cupboard. Also you can select your own ISP you dont have to go with the broadband supplier.

Good Luck