MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 21-11-17, 23:51

The trailer had vacuum brakes so the tractor had to have a system fitted. The truck retained its standard issue hydraulic brakes.

Lang
Old 22-11-17, 00:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lang View Post
The trailer had vacuum brakes so the tractor had to have a system fitted. The truck retained its standard issue hydraulic brakes.
Thanks for this information
Old 08-02-18, 06:04

Help required

I am wanting to confirm the two colours used on M3 Grant tanks and other armoured and softskin vehicles whilst based at Mingenew, Western Australia 1943.

It appears that the vehicles, including the Grants, were painted this two tone camouflage scheme as shown in the photo below. I have 'colourized' the Grant to show what I believe are the two green colours.

I think the lighter green is standard Australian army lusterless Olive Drab and the darker green Khaki Green.

I have also included a photo of the 2-pounder Anti-tank Gun Carrier (Aust) on display at the Merredin Military Museum. As can be seen, the two colours look to be 'faded' Olive Drab and a darker green. As this is a Western Australian based Gun Carrier, it is very likely that these colours are the same as those seen on the Grant.

I have also included some advertisements that were placed in local Perth newspapers in 1947. Businesses that were selling ex army stock oil based paints to the public. One add tells us that the paint is manufactured by Berger. The other lists colour names. One being Khaki Green. I presume these are names printed on the cans of paint.

Were camouflage schemes and colours unique to Western Australia?

Any help with these two colours would be most appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
On Parade.jpg   Camo Paint 2.jpg   IMGP7225.jpg   IMGP7225a.jpg   Camo Paint.jpg  

Last edited by Stuart Kirkham; 08-02-18 at 08:50.
Old 08-02-18, 09:51

Colours to me look to be Australian Service green (Dark Green)with either earth or light stone.

If you notice the 3 tone cammo of one of the back ground CMP trucks it appears to have Service Green with earth/brown and light stone.

This would not have been restricted to just WA but would have been a directive countrywide in my opinion.

The photo below is a 1/35 scale model I made of a Chev recon Wagon painted in an original 2 tone cammo of Aust. Service Green and Light earth. Colours are as close to original as possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Chev recon 088 copy.jpg  

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"

Last edited by cliff; 08-02-18 at 09:55. Reason: Added photo
Old 08-02-18, 11:53

Hello Cliff

Given the Light Stone colour you suggested, I went back through the thread and found the document shown below. It is from 1942 (correct time frame) and states that coastal areas should use both Light Stone and Khaki Green for two tone camouflage.

I amended my colourized photo. I used the two colours directly from the Berger colour chart.
Attached Thumbnails
Colour Info aa.jpg   Camo Paint.jpg  
Old 10-02-18, 18:25

Default Khaki Green No 3 as at 5 May 1940

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Wheeler View Post
This is something we can view in real life. Pics below show 1949 KG3 paint chip confirmed against 42 KG3 paintwork, which as you can see varies so much in daylight as to generate 3-tone scheme from the one colour! Notice how the 49 paint chip follows it faithfully, which may not be possible with modern pigments.
Tony

Thank you for the detailed information that you and all the others have posted on this thread which I have followed very closely. In parallel I have been looking at the colours and markings of the BEF in 1939/40. Although your focus has been on Australia, you have revealed further background on the earlier British Army paint and the access to Australian archive material that you have facilitated has been tremendous.

In particular, as you know, there is an original postage stamp-sized paint chip for Khaki Green No 3 dated 5 May 1940 in a file at the National Archives of Australia (barcode 440398). While I understand all the caveats about such samples, it looks likely to be a useful official example of the early war British colour. In fact it seems to be the only official one anywhere! Unfortunately, being in the UK, I can't access it in person and the current scan in the archives is not really much use. Indeed no scan of such a chip could really provide much information about colour.

I would be very interested to know from those who have seen the 5 May 1940 chip at the National Archives whether it is a close match to other samples.

One possible good match seems to be the paint that Bob Moseley had made up by Protec. I noted that Gina Vampire said at one point that the 5 May 1940 chip colour was close to that paint.

Another possible match would be the example of Khaki Green - J at the Australian War Memorial (AWM REL 16/500), although that seems unlikely. Presumably this is a post-September 1942 darkened version of that colour.

Another possible match is your chip of 1949 'Khaki Green Matt Synthetic Resin Based Enamel K4/10394'. I see you have compared it with '1942 Khaki Green' on a vehicle and that it is a good match. The pictures in different lighting conditions give a very vivid representation of the chameleon-like qualities of this paint. How would your 1949 chip compare with the 5 May 1940 chip in the archives?

Andrew
Old 13-01-19, 11:18
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Will this settle the question once and for all? Just needs a bit of thinners and a good shake.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/st-l...int/1206315362
Attached Thumbnails
BALM Khaki.JPG  
Old 13-01-19, 12:49
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Date ?

Hmmm is there a date on the label somewhere ? Contains lead by the look of it. Could be post war or even a RAAF colour ?
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad