MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 26-05-17, 06:26

The two right ups in the AEDB Design records books.
Attached Thumbnails
AEDB01.JPG   AEDB02.JPG  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 27-05-17, 03:42

Default Seat mount

Looking around the Hammond barn today I found a seat riser similar to the one in the photo above. Bob states it came from David Moore following his F8 project. As shown it fits neatly under the cab 11/12 style seats. A photo of the seat (but not the riser) in Bob's C15A cab11 is included for comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC03908a.jpg   DSC03917a.jpg   DSC03920a.jpg   DSC03921a.jpg   DSC03910a.jpg  

Old 27-05-17, 03:55

Hi Grant

Thanks for the photos. If possible could you provide the distance between the front and back holes for the surface that would be against the floor? I'm curious to see if this design would be close.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 27-05-17, 12:12
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Baker View Post
Chris, your point about the tray under the table possibly being for another wireless set is very good. The table tops have a variety of different mounting holes and I believe it was intended that this truck could carry the WS9, WS11 and WS19 radios.

I tried out the two cable reels I have and they both fit perfectly on the threaded rod. The rod is 1/2" diameter carriage bolt. Im not sure if this was added by the end user or came from the factory. You can see that the smaller diameter reel does slid around on the rod. If this was in fact what it was for, Im wondering if a compression spring was on the rod between the mounting bar and the square plate. This would keep it away from hitting the bar.
I was thinking it would be very handy for the remote control units, and make things much simpler when reeling the wire in later. It may well be factory fitted (or a common user modification) because in a photograph further up the thread (discussing battery mounting) there is a what appears to be either the metal plate or a reel cheek and the shadow it's casting on the wall behind the table. (It's too tall to be a battery clamping bolt, I think.)

The WS19 'truck and ground station' kit list shows cable reels and (I think) a wooden drum of telephone cable, but no sign of cable reeling equipment, so either it was intended to be scrounged from the infantry signallers when required or there was something fitted to the vehicle that would do the job.

On batteries....

I have a fair selection of the later steel-cased batteries (6V, 40, 85 and 170 AH, and 12V 22 and 75 AH), plus wooden cased 16AH units in 6V and 10V, and will run a ruler over them so you can see if any of them will fit the tray under the table. The steel-cased batteries will be the same dimensions as the earlier wooden-cased ones to avoid having to modify the mounting trays.

(The individual cell inserts will also be identical, for manufacturing reasons!)

Chris.
Old 29-05-17, 22:01
Junior Password Gnome

Default Battery, Secondary, Portable - approx. dimensions.

Okay, as mentioned earlier, these are some reasonably accurate sizes for the batterias I can find (or have measurements of), for the purpose of deciding what was likely to go in the trays in a wireless truck:

6-volt

16 Amp Hour - I can't find this at present.
40 Amp Hour - 9.5" long, 5.5" wide, 10.5" high. 2-pin Niphan socket to front.
72 Amp Hour - 9.5" long, 7.25" wide, 10.5" high, wing-nut terminals.
85 Amp Hour - 12" long, 7" wide, 9.25" high, 2-pin Niphan socket to one end.
100/125 Amp Hour - 15.5 long, 7.5" wide, 12" high, wing-nut terminals
170 Amp Hour - 15.5" long, 7.5" wide, 13" high, wing-nut terminals

10-volt (Used with early wavemeters and Lamp, Daylight Signalling, Long Range.)

16 Amp Hour - 11.5" long, 5.5" wide, 9.25" high (missing) sockets for 4V and 10V on end.

12-volt

14 Amp Hour - not got, but for WS62 with 2 rubber sockets on front face.
22 Amp Hour - 12.5" long, 5.5" wide, 9.75" high. 2-pin Niphan socket on front.
75 Amp Hour - 15" long, 7.5" wide, 11" high. 2-pin Niphan socket on end.

The 16 AH batteries are made up of individual "Cell, Secondary, Portable, 2V 16AH" connected together with 10 SWG copper wire links. (Not the usual poured lead permanent connections) The 6V unit has a Niphan socket and the much older 'pair of brass socket contacts' in the end wall of the case - that system started in WW1 or before. The 10 volt unit only has the old type sockets, which are unfortunately missing from my box. (Pin diameters and spacings varied to protect equipment from mis-connection to the wrong voltage - unlike the WW2 "one niphan conector fits both 6 and 12V batteries"!)

Chris. (G8KGS)
Old 29-05-17, 22:11
GM Fox I

The HUW used two pair of these, and I expect so too did the WIRE-3 and WIRE-5.

Old 29-05-17, 22:49
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Parker View Post
The HUW used two pair of these, and I expect so too did the WIRE-3 and WIRE-5.

That may depend on the radio fit. The WS 11 vehicle had 85 AH accumulators.

WS9 or WS52 may well have used something rather larger (though I have no idea what).

Ah... WftW Volume 2 quotes pairs of 6V 200AH batteries for the WS52 truck and ground station, also two pairs of 6V 170AH batteries for the ASSU Tentacle, and the command vehicles used quads of 170AH batteries in series parallel - 8 batteries per vehicle! (That's getting on for half a ton of batteries, because they're 99lb each unfilled!)

Chris.
Old 29-05-17, 23:54
GM Fox I

It is not dependent for the HUW. There are purpose built battery trays under the table for this size alone, and the trays can only fit in the established brackets on the floor so any other size would have to be placed with no way to secure them. The HUW was built from 1942 to 45 so the radio options would generally have been the 19 or 19HP (although 9 Mk1 and 29 were also fitted).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Suslowicz View Post
That may depend on the radio fit. The WS 11 vehicle had 85 AH accumulators.

WS9 or WS52 may well have used something rather larger (though I have no idea what).

Ah... WftW Volume 2 quotes pairs of 6V 200AH batteries for the WS52 truck and ground station, also two pairs of 6V 170AH batteries for the ASSU Tentacle, and the command vehicles used quads of 170AH batteries in series parallel - 8 batteries per vehicle! (That's getting on for half a ton of batteries, because they're 99lb each unfilled!)

Chris.
Old 30-05-17, 16:13

I came across these two photos on a Facebook group last night. They are courtesy of Norm Prestage. His late father took them while serving in the Sig det, Highland Bn, 27 Cnd Inf Bde, Hannover in 1952.

Its the first time I have come across actual pictures of the Wire-3 while in use.
Attached Thumbnails
hannover195201.jpg   hannover195202.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 30-05-17, 17:03

Quote:
I came across these two photos on a Facebook group last night. They are courtesy of Norm Prestage. His late father took them while serving in the Sig det, Highland Bn, 27 Cnd Inf Bde, Hannover in 1952.

Its the first time I have come across actual pictures of the Wire-3 while in use.
I was kind of pleasantly surprised when those pictures showed up over there. It is a shame there isn't more.
Old 30-05-17, 17:43

I know. Like inside the back of the truck with the tail gate down and good lighting. I'd probably be able to see the hens teeth from the chicken dinner the crew had the night before too.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 30-05-17, 18:07

I would like to see some better pictures or even installation instructions for the chorehorse on the step. As mine is installed the gas tank won't fit back on.

Along with some cargo bed pictures to see the table and forward storage for the batteries.
Old 31-05-17, 03:11

Quote:
If possible could you provide the distance between the front and back holes for the surface that would be against the floor? I'm curious to see if this design would be close.
I measured the center to center for the bolts holding the riser to the floor as 9-3/4 left to-right and 14-3/4 front to back. (assuming the higher edge of the riser is the front).
Old 31-05-17, 05:01

Grant, thanks for the measurments. I just went and checked on the box floor. Front to back it is 17-1/4". And side to side for the rear two holes is 11". The front hole is offset to the right of the left hole by 8".
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 07-07-17, 01:54

Found the following in the C15a Illustrated Parts Manual.

Anyone know what would have been meant by the seat less trim?

Also, why a specific part number for the terminal strip? Anyone have one with a matching part #?
Attached Thumbnails
08.jpg   09.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 07-07-17, 04:01

Jordan. I think the seat less trim is just the steel frame and Spring assembly, with no cushion, padding or canvas cover.

David
Old 14-07-17, 19:50

Another unknown I have come across. On the bottom side of the 2J3 box frame work is a set of holes along the one main channel. On the tailgate end there is a square plate welded against the channel and the floor frame. In line with this are two sets of 2 holes. I am wondering if this was a set of clips for mounting a spare antenna masts?
Attached Thumbnails
64.jpg   65.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 15-07-17, 00:43
GM Fox I

Quote:
Another unknown I have come across. On the bottom side of the 2J3 box frame work is a set of holes along the one main channel. On the tailgate end there is a square plate welded against the channel and the floor frame. In line with this are two sets of 2 holes. I am wondering if this was a set of clips for mounting a spare antenna masts?
Maybe, but there would have to be a weird fastening system if it is. The pairs of holes (...are they threaded? Do they go trough the floor to the inside?) would have to be for brackets of some sort. Not web straps because who would climb under to do them up. Not spring clips because a fellow wouldn't have enough leverage to push the aerial masts up into them (again without crawling underneath). Also if it was some kind of clip the masts simply slide in, why not weld pieces in for this? Why more parts with bolts when they were perfectly happy to weld a tab on at the tailgate? Even so, with, or without a bottom on the rear tab the masts would simply bounce out if not held in securely some place. A sideways spring clip to keep tension on the masts is the only way it could work (the welded tab therefore keeping them from sliding out the back until someone hauled against the spring allowing the masts to move past the plate), but that's a complex solution and the makers of these wireless trucks tended to keep things as simple as possible.

The rear tab doesn't show up on the factory photos.

Also, I think there should be provision for two masts, one each of the 20' and 34' varieties.
Old 15-07-17, 01:22

Very odd location for storage given it appears to be behind the rear wheel assembly and would be exposed to all sorts of muck and splatter. Do the set of Design Volumes shed any light on the mystery?

David
Old 15-07-17, 01:33

The holes are just holes. No threads. In the factory photos there were a pair of brackets on the front box panel with what appears to be stops on either end.

The factory photos are of an earlier box, the C series, whereas the production ones were the later 2J3's There seems to be some slight differences in the box its self.

I believe it was Brian Asbury who told me that the Wire-3 truck he had at one point had clips mounted under the box or on the frame for holding an antenna mast.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 15-07-17, 02:28
GM Fox I

I agree with Dave. Even if your mystery plate and holes are for aerial masts I'm certain the masts would be encased in some sleeve to prevent mud and moisture splattering all over them. The mast collars would not do well with grit in them, not to mention the Signal Corps credo of cleanliness and ready to operate in an instant components.

I see one mast on the right cab running board just behind the side window. The HUW has one there as well. The second HUW one is mounted horizontally in the top right inside of the rear wireless body where the sheet body metal curves to form the roof. That's exactly where the right side rifle clips are on the WIRE-3 body. Rifles and aerial masts are just about the same 'diameter'. So just wondering...are those rifle clips on the top right of the WIRE-3 real meant for rifles?
Old 15-07-17, 04:33

Jordan. I think that WIRE 3 of Brian's was at Bill Gregg's Conference and I recall seeing an antenna stowed under one side of the box, or at the very bottom edge of one of the sides. Maybe there is a photo of it at the Conference in someone's files.

David
Old 09-11-17, 00:17

Here is something that is normally not seen to often as it is hidden away on the engine. A complete wireless suppression kit for a truck equipped with a wireless set.

Included in this is a cover for the spark plugs, distributor and the coil. The coil was also moved to just behind the top of the radiator. All and all this was a pretty complete and NOS set of parts.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6654.jpg   IMG_6658.JPG   IMG_6657.jpg   IMG_6656.jpg  
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 09-11-17, 00:49

That’s a nice find, Jordan. I bought several NOS kits of these from Levy’s years ago. I still have the installation instructions somewhere and might have posted a copy of them on the forum a year or so back.

David
Old 13-12-17, 21:42

Another mystery solved. The Wire-3 seat risers. These appear to be similar to the early 8cwt wireless truck seat risers with a difference in the hole location. They use the same stamped knobs as the Wire-3 table for a "quick release". The chains are brazed/soldiered on.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6898.jpg   IMG_6900.jpg   IMG_6906.jpg   IMG_6901.jpg   IMG_6903.jpg  

C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 13-12-17, 22:47

You are going to be on the air with this truck in no time, Jordan!

David
Old 07-02-18, 17:06

Quote:
Another mystery solved. The Wire-3 seat risers. These appear to be similar to the early 8cwt wireless truck seat risers with a difference in the hole location. They use the same stamped knobs as the Wire-3 table for a "quick release". The chains are brazed/soldiered on.
..it seems they fit like a glove Jordan!
Frankie
Old 07-02-18, 18:07

Thanks Frankie for making it happen.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 07-02-18, 18:08

Default Dimension please...

Hi Jordan

Curious about the rise in the rear and the front floor bracket. I have one from a Ford F15 but the height seems different....almost double I think.

Easy enough to replicate form flat stock. I have seen some similar stamped knobs available on Ebay recently.... but ....duh!!!!! did not save the site.

Bob C
Canada
Old 07-02-18, 18:18

These seat risers were actually found via a posting on Facebook from a seller in Italy. They went to the Czech Republic with the seats I was very fortunate to have been able to work out with that buyer to get just the risers. They've traveled more then I have. But I'm extremely grateful.

Anyway onto the measuring. These pictures are from the original seller in Italy.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3324.JPG   IMG_3317.JPG   IMG_3318.JPG   IMG_3323.JPG   IMG_3320.JPG  

C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer