MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 18-02-10, 14:21

Default Any chance of a meeting at Gracie's?

I read a previous thread and could not believe there was a meeting of like minded persons in very close proximity to my son's abode.

Currently in Ottawa, attached from the Royal Navy, he lives in Steel street just up the road from where I now gather Gracies to be.

We will be coming across from the UK over the period 11 - 21 March to see the latest arrival to the 'McCallum clan'

Ian
Old 18-02-10, 14:56
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Weak Spot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian McCallum View Post
I read a previous thread and could not believe there was a meeting of like minded persons in very close proximity to my son's abode.

Currently in Ottawa, attached from the Royal Navy, he lives in Steel street just up the road from where I now gather Gracies to be.

We will be coming across from the UK over the period 11 - 21 March to see the latest arrival to the 'McCallum clan'

Ian
Hi Ian..
You hit a nerve when you said Gracies..
Of course we will have a gather up to honour our visitors..
I'll clear it with our resident entertainment chairman,and book the place..I'll need to know what dates of your arrival..We usually gather at 5 in the afternoon as it appeals to those of us that are still working to pay taxes, so those of us that are retired can get our Gummint checks at the end of the month..,and they can attend our local parade "after" working hours..
RN ..you say..
I believe that our resident ROT(Rusty Old Truck)er RCN member lives in Windsor,Ont..about an 8-10 drive from here ,but has known to attend the odd Gracies thrash,and our resident computer nerd,Our own Jif W-B,and his lovely lady,..of MLU fame lives in Toronto ,about a 4-5 hour hike from here ..but given enough notice ,these party-parties have know to attend our gather ups..and have a great time..
Our resident artillery guru..Major Hoop....er...Mike Calnan may even be around,taking a break from chasing those women he so favours from the Darkest parts of Africa..
So we will keep in touch by e-mail or pm through MLU and get this gather up done..
10 days can be a great party..
Old 18-02-10, 15:09

A reasonably fit person (not too drunk) could walk from Gracies to Steel Street well within an hour (about 3km).
I like the idea, does anyone else?
Old 18-02-10, 15:19
RIP

I'm up for it.
Old 18-02-10, 15:55
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Sounds good to us, too!

BTW Ian, are you any relation to David McCallum, late of NCIS fame (and much more before of course)?
Old 18-02-10, 16:00

Default How about ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
I'm up for it.

Big Law...
How about Little Law..Will he be around..??
I'm sure he will pipe up if he can be there..
Old 18-02-10, 16:29
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Blair View Post
Big Law...
How about Little Law..Will he be around..??
I'm sure he will pipe up if he can be there..
Law, Mk II will be starting his basic para course at Trenton on 22 Feb. and then returning to Gagetown on or about 31 March. if he can fit this in I am sure that he will.
Old 18-02-10, 16:49

Default Will be there if....

..... I am tied up in TO March 12/13/14 with outlaws.... otherwise will be there... after work is better for me..... I can pretend to be doing overtime and will not need a pass to go out....

Boob
Canada
Old 18-02-10, 17:14

Default 18 March..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
..... I am tied up in TO March 12/13/14 with outlaws.... otherwise will be there... after work is better for me..... I can pretend to be doing overtime and will not need a pass to go out....

Boob

Bob..
Wouldn't think of you even missing one little minute..
How about the 18th which is a Thursday..or the 19 which is a Friday which I will need at least two weeks notice to reserve tables on a Friday night..The 17th Wednesday is St Paddys day and not a hope in Hell of getting tables in an Irish pub that night....
Friday night would be better for those coming from a distance..but any night at all is good for me..
Give me a show of hands for the 18th OR nineteenth..
Old 18-02-10, 17:30

The 18th is actually better for us... Sally has to be back in Toronto by noon on the 20th for work obligations, and I have to make the Acton show on the Saturday.
Old 18-02-10, 17:53
Addicted to Drab

Default tight....

Unfortunately I will not be able to swing a meeting with "one from across the pond" as my schedule is a little tight.

6 Mar - pick up two Carriers - Pickering
15 Mar - Public speaking engagement Militarymuster presentation - Windsor
20 Mar - Acton
21 Mar - Windsor Gun/Knife/Militaria show

and somewhere in there is a little time to smooth out the ruffled feathers on the Frau....LOL.

Hope all goes will and pass my regards...and regrets.

Cheers

Mike Timoshyk
Old 18-02-10, 17:57

That's why they invented aeroplanes, Myke...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Timoshyk View Post
Unfortunately I will not be able to swing a meeting with "one from across the pond" as my schedule is a little tight.

6 Mar - pick up two Carriers - Pickering
15 Mar - Public speaking engagement Militarymuster presentation - Windsor
20 Mar - Acton
21 Mar - Windsor Gun/Knife/Militaria show

and somewhere in there is a little time to smooth out the ruffled feathers on the Frau....LOL.

Hope all goes will and pass my regards...and regrets.

Cheers

Mike Timoshyk
Old 18-02-10, 18:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Bowker View Post
A reasonably fit person (not too drunk) could walk from Gracies to Steel Street well within an hour (about 3km).
I like the idea, does anyone else?
You can walk, I'll drive thank you...
Old 18-02-10, 18:15

Default Command Decision..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball View Post
The 18th is actually better for us... Sally has to be back in Toronto by noon on the 20th for work obligations, and I have to make the Acton show on the Saturday.
I know how much you put into our craft and will make a command decision..The 18th it is..
Now the show of hands and I can book the "jernt"..as Archie would say..
Now If we could hear from the MacCallum clan..is the 18th OK..??
Would love to see Mike here again but if nothing else book for BBBB 4 in June..No friggin' way you are off on that one..It's be "Fives" for you in the back fourty for you if you miss this parade..
Old 18-02-10, 20:55

Default WOW What a response

Well folks, what can I say! I was only enquiring if this was a regular do and was there any chance of attending. I was not proposing for a gathering from the far flung corners of the province and beyond. I know of no reason why the 18th should present problems, so I go with the command decision.

Think however I will still use the 4 wheeled steed, I hear the weather is still a mite chilly for us soft Brits. David McCallum? Personally I never met him although family folk law says he is from my grandmother's sister's side of the family.
Old 18-02-10, 21:22

Default Normal affair..

Quote:
Well folks, what can I say! I was only enquiring if this was a regular do and was there any chance of attending. I was not proposing for a gathering from the far flung corners of the province and beyond. I know of no reason why the 18th should present problems, so I go with the command decision.

Think however I will still use the 4 wheeled steed, I hear the weather is still a mite chilly for us soft Brits. David McCallum? Personally I never met him although family folk law says he is from my grandmother's sister's side of the family.
Ian.
It is quite normal for the ROT(Rusty Old Truckers)ers to get together on occasion..
If it has to do with rust..green...greasy parts..beer... old military vehicles..more beer..you can bet there will be a call to parade.,..
We have more than willing participants that attend our gather ups..
Here is where we will be meeting ..the East end location..You can google up a map from the address or site..
The 18th will be booked.
http://www.gracies.ca/home.aspx
Old 18-02-10, 21:50

Quote:
Gee, just checked the website and found there's a Gracies here in Tronna! Gonna hafta check that out, and incidently, I reckon we'll have to have a remote ROTTERs get-together here one day!
Old 18-02-10, 22:34

Default ?????????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball View Post
Gee, just checked the website and found there's a Gracies here in Tronna! Gonna hafta check that out, and incidently, I reckon we'll have to have a remote ROTTERs get-together here one day!
Jeez Jif..
I'm stumped..where's Tronna...???
Old 18-02-10, 23:02

Quote:
Jeez Jif..
I'm stumped..where's Tronna...???
Look south and west of where you are... it's that big smoke on the horizon...

Old 19-02-10, 03:38

Default 18th......

it's ago.......

Boob
Canada
Old 19-02-10, 11:13

Lightbulb Is Ed Storey Local?

Quote:
Ian.
It is quite normal for the ROT(Rusty Old Truckers)ers to get together on occasion..
If it has to do with rust..green...greasy parts..beer... old military vehicles..more beer..you can bet there will be a call to parade.,..
We have more than willing participants that attend our gather ups..
Here is where we will be meeting ..the East end location..You can google up a map from the address or site..
The 18th will be booked.
http://www.gracies.ca/home.aspx
I seem to remember from the distant past that Ed also lives in the vicinity? A name and colleague from tours of the distant past in Holland and Normandy. First time I met Ed he was with John Marchant 'on tour' in 'Tiny', now residing in the War Museum.
Old 19-02-10, 13:28

Default Ed Story..

Quote:
I seem to remember from the distant past that Ed also lives in the vicinity? A name and colleague from tours of the distant past in Holland and Normandy. First time I met Ed he was with John Marchant 'on tour' in 'Tiny', now residing in the War Museum.
Hi Ian..
Yep,Ed is a local lad..
He may join us at Gracies..I haven't seen him for a few years ,but he does exist..He should pipe up here to let us know his intentions of attendance on the 18th..
Old 19-02-10, 13:47

Default John Babcock..last WW 1 Vet passes on..RIP

Published On Fri Feb 19 2010

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/arti...n-babcock-dies

John Babcock in a 1920 photo. Babcock, Canada’s oldest WWI veteran, died Thursday at age 109.

John Babcock in a 1920 photo. Babcock, Canada’s oldest WWI veteran, died Thursday at age 109.

Nicolaas van Rijn Staff Reporter

John Babcock, Canada’s last World War I veteran, has died at the age of 109.

A 16-year-old when he went in search of military glory, Babcock was the last of the 650,000 men and women Canada recruited to serve in the “war to end all wars.”

Prime Minister Stephen Harper saluted Babcock Thursday, paying tribute to “Canada’s last living link to the Great War, which in so many ways marked our coming of age as a nation.”

The men and women who served, Harper said, “paid dearly for the freedom that we and our children enjoy every day.

“Today,” he observed, “they’re all gone.”

Gov.-Gen. Michaëlle Jean, head of the Canadian Forces, also paid tribute to Babock.

“You know how dear the members of the Canadian Forces and our veterans are to my heart,” she said. “And while I am deeply moved and saddened, I am also very honoured to be the Commander-in-Chief and Governor General to pay final tribute to Mr. Babcock.”

At one point Canada had mooted a state funeral for Babcock, but he demurred, saying that because he never saw active service — because of his tender years he spent his war years loading trucks in Halifax and digging ditches in England — he wasn’t worthy of the honour.

Instead, Babcock — who died at home in Spokane, Wash., on Thursday, where he had lived for many years — will be cremated, and his ashes scattered in the Pacific northwest mountains, as happened when his first wife died, years ago.

“I think his grandkids would probably want to do that,” said his wife Dorothy.

“Jack loved the outdoors, he loved to hike.”

Babcock, who was a few months shy of his 110th birthday, had been housebound since a bout of pneumonia last October.

Recent visitors included the choirmaster from his church, Messiah Lutheran, who brought along a keyboard and a violinist for an impromptu concert, since the Babcocks had missed the concerts at Christmas.

And although he left the country of his birth to become an American citizen decades ago, Babcock was recognized by both countries when he died, after having his Canadian citizenship reinstated in 2008.

“Jack loved Canada,” said Dorothy the day that he died. “His heart was there.”

Born July 23, 1900 on a farm in Lober Township, John Henry Foster Babcock’s parents James and Anna had nine other children, all of whom predeceased Babcock. Because his father died in a logging accident when John was six, he went to live with relatives and didn’t receive much schooling.

The blue-eyed 15-year-old — just 5’4’’ — signed up for the Canadian military in Kingston. Though he tried to pass himself off as 18 it wasn’t long before authorities twigged to his real age, 16, and put him to work unloading military trucks in Halifax. Lying about his age again, he got on troop transport to England.

“When they asked me how old I was, I said 18,” said Babcock in an interview a few years ago. “Well ... you had to be 19 to go to France.” While he was waiting for his pretend 19th birthday, official papers arrived that listed his actual age of 16, so he was sent to train with 1,300 other underage soldiers.

By October 1918, having finally reached the age of majority, Babcock was eagerly awaiting deployment.

Instead, after he and a group of fellow soldiers decided to defend Canadian honour by taking on a group of British troops in a bar brawl, Babcock spent 14 days of house arrest.

Unfortunately for Bacock, the Armistice was signed during those two weeks, and he never saw combat.

Decades later, he counted his blessings.

“I might have got killed,” he told an interviewer matter-of-factly.

In 1921, he moved to the States and joined the U.S. Army, which is when he fell in love with the West Coast. After being stationed in Ft. Louis and the Vancouver Barracks, he settled in Oakland with his first wife, Elsie. The two were married for 45 years and had two children, Jack Jr. and Sandra.

In 1932, the family moved to Spokane, where Babcock worked in the heating and plumbing business. In the late 1970s, after Elsie died, Babock married Dorothy, a nurse 29 years his junior. Between his two children and her two sons, the couple had 16 grandchildren and a number of great-grandchildren as well.

“We had a wonderful time together,” said Dorothy on Thursday. “I’m so happy to have taken care of him in his last years.”

“We should honour (Babcock’s) contribution to Canada,” said Rudyard Griffith, executive director of the Dominion Institute, an organization dedicated to promoting Canadian history.

“The duty not to forget now falls on a generation who has…been separated from the history of the Great War by a period of going on 90 years. I think there is a danger (that people will forget).”

France and Germany both lost their last WWI veterans in 2008, with the deaths of Lazare Ponticelli, 110, and Erick Kastner, 107.

Now the duty of Canadians, say other vets, is to never forget the sacrifice of Babcock and those 650,000 other Canadian men and women who donned their country’s uniform for the Great War, as it was long known.

Remembrance now mostly lives on through Remembrance Day, the Nov. 11 commemoration that recognizes those who fought in all of Canada’s wars and conflicts.

But those veterans, too, are passing on.

“When all the vets are dead, it doesn’t have the same meaning, because it’s an extraordinarily personalized ceremony of the generation who were scarred by it,” says Patrick Brennan, a University of Calgary historian who specializes in the First World War.
Old 19-02-10, 16:32

Default The traps are set...

Quote:
Hi Ian..
Yep,Ed is a local lad..
He may join us at Gracies..I haven't seen him for a few years ,but he does exist..He should pipe up here to let us know his intentions of attendance on the 18th..
Yeee Hawwwww..!!
The reservations are made..
Gracie's East
1151 Ogilvie Road
Ottawa, Ontario
(613) 842-0220
Only booked two big tables..more if we need it so
Here are the specs..
First for Rob..
The big hand is on 12..the little hand is on 5..in the afternoon..
For the rest of us..
5PM ..1700Hrs...Two bells on the first dog watch..
18March..
Under my name or The Ottawa ROTters..
They know us..
Ahhhh yes..!! says Matt..when I booked..
Hope to see everyone there for a good time..Jif..Don't forget your MLU propaganda..I forgot last time you were here and went to Indianapolis for a month with no MLU stickers ..
Ratz..!!
Need some before April when I'll be going again..
Old 19-02-10, 17:11
Mr. HUP

Default Progress!

Quote:
Yeee Hawwwww..!!The reservations are made...Here are the specs...First for Rob...The big hand is on 12..the little hand is on 5..in the afternoon...
Alex,

I am so proud of you! You have progressed on so many fronts:

You no longer use your sundial to tell time;
You no longer use your hour glass to tell time;
You can differentiate between morning, afternoon and nighttime; and
When you go out, you no longer need to buy something and read the receipt to tell the time.

See you at Gracies...
Old 02-03-10, 21:55
RIP

Regrets. With any luck I will be in Jamaica (with Gunner) teaching a course to the Jamaican Defence Force - and enjoying a couple of days on the beach.
Old 02-03-10, 23:27

Default And..

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
Regrets. With any luck I will be in Jamaica (with Gunner) teaching a course to the Jamaican Defence Force - and enjoying a couple of days on the beach.
And when you get back I suppose we will hear..

"Adam Blamed Eve...Eve blamed the snake ..and the snake didn't have leg to stand on...!!"

Have fun..
We will miss your smiling face..as will the young hotties at Gracies..
But maybe "Young" Law will be your rep..
Make sure Gunner stuffs the powder in the right place..

Old 09-03-10, 00:01

Default Bags are packed, see you there

Well thats it, tomorrow's the last day at work, then the attempts to try and reduce the baggage weight to a healthy 23kg of goods into the single suitcase to satisfy the carrier and onto the big silver bird to Ottawa.

Will check mail at times but all info stored and will do a quick recce to ensure I arrive at the appointed time and place on the 18th. See you all there

Ian
Old 09-03-10, 02:04

Default We are waiting..

Quote:
Well thats it, tomorrow's the last day at work, then the attempts to try and reduce the baggage weight to a healthy 23kg of goods into the single suitcase to satisfy the carrier and onto the big silver bird to Ottawa.

Will check mail at times but all info stored and will do a quick recce to ensure I arrive at the appointed time and place on the 18th. See you all there

Ian
Jif //.
10 days till Gracie night..
Are you and Sally still on for Gracies on the 18th March..??,and don't forget lots of MLU stickers..Ian will need lots to take back to the UK..and I'm of to Indy in April..
Old 10-03-10, 09:06

Default Will try and tempt the good lady

If Sally is going, I will try and persuade Carol to go along, although a session talking totally of 'things green or brown' can switch her off after a while!:

Ian