MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 22-10-15, 03:47

Default 8cwt 4x2 Field Artillery Tractor

Upon a request from Alex, earlier this evening, I was checking my D.N.D. Special Pattern Bodies Parts List manuals for what was covered in the 8-cwt Group. Unfortunately all of this info is missing, with the exception of Table of Illustrations.

The last of eight illustrations is identified as 'Seat Assembly - 8 cwt. 4x2, Field Artillery Tractor'

To my knowledge, this is the first I have ever heard of such a vehicle. Since this Body Parts List is generic in regards to cabs and chassis underneath the bodies, I have no idea if this was a Chevrolet or Ford designed (or both) 8-cwt 4x2 Field Artillery Tractor.

Does anyone know more about them and/or have any photos?

Addendum:

The Table of Illustrations is dated January, 1942 so this 8-cwt 4x2 FAT would have been a very early CMP, Cab 11, 12 or perhaps both if it proved useful for long enough.

David

Last edited by David Dunlop; 22-10-15 at 05:23.
Old 22-10-15, 17:07
MLU Administrator

Could it be they mean "Seat Assembly - as fitted to 8 cwt. 4x2 and Field Artillery Tractor".

I'm thinking the seat in the back of an 8-cwt radio truck may be the same as the seat in the back body of the FAT?
Old 23-10-15, 16:42

Hello Hanno.

Although the thought of an 8-cwt, 4x2 FAT is of great fascination, it does make less and less sense, the more one thinks about it. Your idea makes a lot more sense.

The Body Parts List for the FAT shows the four rear seats as being Seat, Assembly, Adjustable, Folding and the Driver/Co-Drivers seats as being Seat, Assembly, Non-Adjustable, Folding. It is the four adjustable seats that are referenced to the Plate 8 illustration that would have been in the missing 8-cwt 4x2 Group.

The Alphabetical Index to the whole manual is present, and of all items related to the 8-cwt 4x2 Group, three quarters of them are readily identifiable are being for a Wireless Body: Aerial Mount, Radio Table, Instrument Panel - Radio, etc. The other items are not so easy to narrow down: Superstructure, Spare Wheel Mount, Box- Tow Rope, Door - Tow Rope Box, etc.

Lastly, in the Table of Illustrations, where more than one body type is referred to, in most cases the list is formatted as:

G.S. (Workshop) (Stores)

One is listed in the format:

Winch and Derrick

And then this 8-cwt listing shows up as:

8 cwt, 4x2, Field Artillery Tractor

The latter is the only description using all commas and the only one that jumps across more than one weight classification. More than likely different people did different updates and there was a breakdown in formatting standards.

Damn! I would love to have seen a little Quad hauling a 2-pdr across a field!

Cheers, David
Old 23-10-15, 23:55

I agree David...I think Hanno is on the money. An 8cwt artillery tractor....how lovely it would be, doesn't sound very realistic. A C8 doesn't even have a towing hook...nor a winch, so any artillery heavier of bigger than a plastic scale model sounds like a challenge .

After having a look at some factory photos I think the centre two seats in the back of a FAT are of the non adjustable type. They seem to be bolted straight to the floor, seat 1 and 4 in the back are adjustable, as are the ones up front. So, it sounds like "'Seat Assembly" includes the folding seat, as well as the runners. It seems the angled plate to secure them in the bed of a C8/F8 is not included, as this is different from a FAT......the angled plate might even be unique to the C8/F8 (?)

Alex
Old 24-10-15, 00:08

Come to think of it.....maybe the Germans were man enough to use captured 8cwt's as artillery tractors ......
Old 24-10-15, 00:50

Default Minimum equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex van de Wetering View Post
Come to think of it.....maybe the Germans were man enough to use captured 8cwt's as artillery tractors ......
Man enough or desperate enough. I worked with an Austrian who had been on the Russian front and well remember his tale of towing a Pak 38 with a Zundapp motorcycle outfit. One particular story was of negotiating a slippery down hill run where the gun overtook him and towed the Zundapp backwards to the bottom of the descent.
Exciting times in more ways than one.

David.
Old 24-10-15, 01:24

In looking through the body parts book I have, "plate 8" is the illustration of a single seat with the caption of 8-cwt 4x2-Field Artillery Tractor. The body parts list of the 8cwt 4x2 indicates the seats to be illustrated on plate 8, flipping forward through the manual to the FAT it indicates that it's seats are also illustrated by plate 8. Seems fairly likely that the seats for the 2 vehicles are the same or similar and are both referenced back to the same drawing rather than inferring that there exists a 8cwt 4x2 FAT.
Old 24-10-15, 03:55
David Pope

The ATT-1 anti tank tractor was a cab 11 15 cwt with a 2A1 body.
1940 Cab 11 F15A w/ Chev rear ends
1941 Cab 12 F15A
1942-44 Cab 13 F15A x 5
1942 cab 13 F15A with 2B1 box
1943 cab 13 F15A with 2H1 box
1943 Cab 13 C8A HUP
1944 Cab 13 C15A with 2C1 box
1943 Cletrac M2 High Speed Tractor
MkII Bren gun carrier chassis x 2
Old 24-10-15, 11:00

I could imagine something like this being used to tow a mortar trailer or similar. That might have attracted a FAT nomenclature.
Old 24-10-15, 15:17
Niels Vegger

Could it have been for towing the 2pdr gun or the small bofors anti tank gun ? Those guns would fit nicely with a 8cwt
1955 Austin Champ, 04BF45
Old 24-10-15, 20:50
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
Lastly, in the Table of Illustrations, where more than one body type is referred to, in most cases the list is formatted as:
G.S. (Workshop) (Stores)
One is listed in the format:
Winch and Derrick
And then this 8-cwt listing shows up as:
8 cwt, 4x2, Field Artillery Tractor
The latter is the only description using all commas and the only one that jumps across more than one weight classification. More than likely different people did different updates and there was a breakdown in formatting standards.
Damn! I would love to have seen a little Quad hauling a 2-pdr across a field!
Fascinating thought indeed, but seeing the listing I think we can conclude the type of seat was used in two types of truck, the 8-cwt and the FAT:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DND body parts list illustration index_cropped.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	76945

The "Winch and Derrick" is a single body type, so it is not a change in formatting.