MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 07-10-17, 08:53

Default Wiring Routing Over Rear Shock Absorber

I am trying to figure out where the wiring looms go down the back end of my F15A. How does the loom go around the shock absorber?
Also, how does the wiring go at the rear chassis cross member?
LP2A
WC52
Old 08-10-17, 00:36
VMVC

Default Chassis wiring

Hi Eric,

I am in the same boat trying to figure out the wire routing at the rear of the chassis. Plus, I am adding modern stop/tail/turn signals (I can her the purists moaning) but it sure beats road rage or a rear ender because someone does not see a 3/4" diameter original stop or tail light or doesn't know the old hand signals for turns.

Hard to find original wiring as usually the wiring is the first to go, followed by the brake lines on all the Blitz paddock bashers I have seen over the years. I can say however that I have seen a few remains of wiring with the tail and stop light wires clipped at two or three points to the bottom of the chassis rail with the standard Ford wiring to frame clips as per the photo. Based on that, I would say the wire goes under the shockers. There is enough room for the two wires. I have also seen wire remnants lying on the bottom of the rear crossmember feeding the left side stop/tail lights.

After it goes through the right rear hole in the rear crossmember that where I too am lost, never having seen any original wiring in that position.
I have been studying it and noticed the small hole forward of the towing brackets in the chassis. Thought maybe the wires go through them, but trying two 14 gauge wires it would be a very tight fit and subject to chafing. Then I thought maybe it is just a hole for a bolt to secure a clip to hold the wires and perhaps the wires go over the chassis and body rails. There is a big gap between the body rails and the floor. See attached photos of the hole mentioned on the left side, and the clip at that hole on the right side. That position is in a good location to lead to the lights attached to the bottom of the chain boxes.

So hopefully someone else can shed some more information on this.
In the meantime I will probably stay with the wire over the body rail routing unless confirmed otherwise.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0001.JPG   IMG_0275.JPG   IMG_0273.JPG  

Jacques Reed
Old 08-10-17, 00:41

Default Wiring routing

thanks Jacques. I reckon that it goes underneath the shock absorber as well. As for the rear end, I will just pick a hole. I have plenty of the wiring clips as well.
LP2A
WC52
Old 08-10-17, 12:13
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Wiring

Apologies for the fuzzy picture but it does show the wiring going under the shock absorber. As for where it crosses over at the back it would go via the red/white switch on a cab 13 and from there up to the rear body work rather than the chassis as that was where the tail lamps were located.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 9.11.36 pm.jpg  

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 08-10-17, 14:42

Default Along the inside of the driver side frame rail

Hi Eric & Jacques

I had been hesitate to wade in on this until Keith posted the photo confirming the routing along inside of the driver's side frame rail. All my experience has been with Chevy but you might find my experiences useful. (see below for some links)

First and most important be sure to watch the routing around the entire route to watch for rub points where the insulation can be damaged. Use lots of cable clamps to keep the harness where you put it. CMPS are poorly protected from shorts, result burning out harness, and anything near by, is a real threat.

My experience with burning out a section of brand new harness was in the congested area around battery cable, starter, master cylinder, speedometer cable, fuel line, and wiring harness they come together under the floor right under the driver.

Links to wiring information:
http://www.canadianmilitarypattern.c...nformation.htm

http://www.canadianmilitarypattern.c...%20Harness.htm

Hope this information is of some help, keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 09-10-17, 01:42
VMVC

Default Chassis wiring

Hi Phil and Keith,

As some famous Chinese guy once said "One picture is worth a thousand words"

Thanks for that photo Keith and thanks for the links Phil. Some real good advice and information there for anyone making their own harnesses for any vehicle.

Like you said, Phil, the chance of shorting is high due to rubbing of the wires at many places along the chassis. I have used bitumen impregnated cotton wiring conduit at a number of places to help prevent chafing. In fact Ford used it on their HT wire leads where they cross the engine from one bank to the other and on the coil to distributor wire. I have used it to sheath the wires from the fuel sending units through the chassis to the chassis harness, the horn wire through the chassis, and at a number of other places. Comes in various sizes: 3/16"ID for one wire, 1/4" ID for two wires and 5/16" ID for three wires, plus larger sizes. 1/4" ID is the same stuff used on Ford Fuel lines as a type of insulation. See attached.

Cheers,

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0167.JPG  

Jacques Reed
Old 09-10-17, 04:28
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Reed View Post
I have used bitumen impregnated cotton wiring conduit at a number of places to help prevent chafing.

.... Comes in various sizes: 3/16"ID for one wire, 1/4" ID for two wires and 5/16" ID for three wires, plus larger sizes. 1/4" ID is the same stuff used on Ford Fuel lines as a type of insulation.
Cheers,

Cheers,
..And it is available in all these sizes from Vintage Wiring Harness:

http://www.vinwire.com.au/

Go to "accessories" then "Primary wiring loom". Not the type of stuff you'd find at the local autoparts store or auto electrician's.
Old 09-10-17, 05:44
VMVC

Default Primary wiring loom

Hi Tony,

Yes, that's where I get it from. Think I mentioned it a long time ago in a post but if not, it's good to let people know. Definitely not a Supercheap, Autobarn or Repco item.

If anyone covers their fuel lines with it, a handy hint is to spray some silicon lubricant on the tubing to make it slide on easier.

Cheers,

Jacques Reed