MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 24-06-04, 23:27
Dog Robber

Default One for Hanno

Hanno, wear your MH hat for this one. Attached is a very poor pic of a Rumanian formation of light artillery and in the background you can barely see a Ford COE that certainly seems to be of the type found in Bart's book on military vehicles up to 1940 ( also have another pic from the same parade).

Do you have any more information on these trucks?

While I am at it, I am ashamed to admit I cannot identify the arty tractors either. I know they are based on some sort of medium or heavy car (car in the German sense of light truck) chassis but the lockers on the back I cannot find anywhere else and the spare wheels obviously stick up quite a bit on the drivers side.
Most of the typical Horch and MB vehicles had the spare wheels mounted midships and below the door line. The Rumanian site poster identified them as Horch but I can't find a Horch that looks just like this. Matter of fact, the closest I could come was a Phanomen Granit 1.5 ton heavy car but the pic I have, from Bart's WWII book shows a desert version with different sized tyres/wheels and a different mounting for the spare. The fender line and rear lockers and wheel center are all Phanomen similar.
Any ideas?
Bill
Edit: Chit!!! I forgot to resize it but you can do that I guess.
Attached Images

Old 24-06-04, 23:43

Bill I enlarged the pic but it distorted but they could possibly be Horch light cars towing the Artillery pieces. Below is one of my early efforts at modeling.
Attached Thumbnails
horch photo 2.jpg  
Old 25-06-04, 00:19
Dog Robber

Thanks, Cliff:

Well, the doors and wheels are the same as on your model. It could be that the Romanians modified or built their own bodywork on a Horch chassis as the picture in larger scale shows no spare on the passenger side.

Try this, any of you. Go to www.hobby.ro and then click on the archiva foto link, then go to auto and scroll down to the last pic which starts out 29 August 1941.

Once I get them downloaded to my "My Pictures" file, my photo managing program lets me print out those tiny photos in a full page format which loses very little detail. You all know what a computer Klutz I am so I will leave it to you to see if you can do the download to whatever photo program you have on your PC and then see if you can resend it in the standard size most of us get on this board. That same program does not work when I merely try to "zoom" the photo to a larger size on the PC screen. All detail is lost. Don't know why.

I am about to hire someone to try to get my wireless home network program to work on my new computer in the basement where I have a new PC, a new Scanner and a new printer and a nice flat screen monitor in an area where I can once again consolidate all of my collection so I can do a better job of getting the pics sent off properly. Sorry to be such a bother.
Bill
Old 25-06-04, 00:29

after seeing the pics on the original site I would say they are correct and they are Horch 4 X 4 light trucks.
Old 25-06-04, 08:49
MLU Administrator

Default Horch indeed

Bill, Cliff,

If I go to the site and click on the pic, it pops up nicely in its own browser window. Copy the address (URL) and paste into the popup screen after pressing the "IMG" button and voilą:

Source: http://www.hobby.ro/roarmy/auto.htm

If you wish to save it, click right mouse button and "Save Picture As..." in the folder of your choice. I know confusers are hard to get a grip on, but rest assured one day you will get the hang of it

The Horch seems to be the later type which had the spare wheels inside of the body instead of in a well on the outside.

HTH,
Hanno
Old 25-06-04, 08:56
MLU Administrator

Default Re: One for Hanno

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Murray
Hanno, wear your MH hat for this one. Attached is a very poor pic of a Rumanian formation of light artillery and in the background you can barely see a Ford COE that certainly seems to be of the type found in Bart's book on military vehicles up to 1940 ( also have another pic from the same parade).

Do you have any more information on these trucks?
Bill, not off-hand, I will have to look it up but I guess I'm stuck to Bart Vanderveen's books as well.

How about this one? Nice Ford woody, isn't it?

Source: http://www.hobby.ro/roarmy/auto.htm

H.
Old 25-06-04, 09:14

Battle buggy as they were called here. probably a 1940/41 Ford woody wagon converted to military use. I think they had different sized wheels and tires fitted when used by our forces.
Old 26-06-04, 00:15
Dog Robber

Cliff: It is most likely a 1940 or maybe 1939 but not a 1941. Like most of the photos in that group, the vehicle seem to be a very lightly militarized civilian type.

Hanno, Hanno, Hanno, what can I say? Thanks always for the tutoring. I cannot understand why my mind will not bend itself to an easy understanding of computer protocol. In this sense, I am a pretty simple person. Give me one set of rules and I usually get it. The protocols regarding how one moves different types of images from one place to the other are a constant maze to me.
If it comes from one source, do this, if from another, do that. If you have one editing program, do this if you have another, do that. Some sites allow sending an image from your hard drive, "My Pictures" in my case, others insist you send them to some hosting site or do the img thingie direct from another site.

As I stated earlier, I am thinking about hiring someone for a few hours (at an exorbitant rate) to not so much teach me how to work through all of the different alternatives but to actually write it down in plain language (English in my case) that I can post next to my PC.

I have a lot to share, just need to figure out how to do it efficiently and not drive myself to drink when it doesn't work. Well, the driving to drink is not all that bad

Bill
Old 26-06-04, 07:55

Bill you are right. The headlights do tell it to be an earlier model at a second look. As you say probably a 1939.

Also on another note I have yet to meet a highly priced computer wizard that can speak simple english

cheers Cliff

Last edited by cliff; 13-12-06 at 23:42.
Old 27-06-04, 13:39
former Resident Historian

Default Ford Romania..

...was a subsidiary of Ford, Dagenham, and the latter in theory supplied Ford of Romania.