MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 05-10-10, 21:56
Jeff

Default British Officers and NCOs recruiting in Canada 1940

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I hope this isn't posted twice; my apologies if it is.

I am seeking information, documented or anecdotal, regarding the presence of British Officers and NCOs recruiting in Canada in 1940.

I have personal correspondence detailing the presence of British personnel at then Camp Borden, ON (and ostensibly other camps) recruiting Canadian soldiers for "Special Service with HM Forces".

My source tells me he and 3 others joined nearly a company of men from regiments all over Canada near Ottawa (?) just after Christmas 1940. This after being singled out by their parent regiment for interviews "by the visitors".

Their training continued at Camp Debert, NS, Quebec and western Newfoundland (opposed landings, cliff assaults, etc.) and as far northwest as Churchill, MB (skiing). This training was intensive to the extreme and casualties were sustained as live ammunition and explosives were the norm in their training. After one particularly brutal exercise which resulted in several deaths the group was interviewed by the same British Officers and offered a chance to withdraw. I'm told none did.

This group, or parts of it, continued to Scotland via Iceland where the training continued and got worse.

I have no evidence whatsoever that this group, or parts of it, formed a commissioned Canadian unit per se and I'm not suggesting it did (although it would be easier to trace that way). More likely it served as a manpower source for existing British units (Commandos and the like). There is evidence of Canadians serving with Commandos both early and late, but British records on this topic are almost as dismal as Canadian records.

I would appreciate your thoughts and recommendations on the pursuit of this topic to include names of personnel, locations, possible units involved, etc.

v/r

Jeff O'Connell
Malabo, Equatorial Guinea
West Africa
Old 06-10-10, 01:36
RIP

Jeff,

Try posting this at http://www.network54.com/Forum/28173/ also. There are a number of knowledgeable folk and, between the two fora, you may get an answer.
Clive
Old 06-10-10, 09:59
Jeff

Rgr Clive. Will do and Thanks.
Jeff