Default Now and Then

Location - Breda
Date - 10 November, 1944
Polish troops parade through town.

What does this scene look like now?

Old 09-06-06, 22:42
Derek Heuring

Default Now and then: Cologne

This will prove to be a very interesting thread, Clive. I'm sure many MLU'ers will have pics from history.
I have an interesting now and then story. On the way back from the Middle East I had a 23 hour layover in Cologne, Germany. I took the opportunity to explore the city, especially the Gothic cathedral for which the city is famous. As many know, although Cologne received at least one 1,000 bomber raid, the cathedral received only minor damage. I've included some pics I took or had taken during my short time there. Both pics were taken on the Eastern bank of the Rhine with the Hohenzollern bridge and cathedral in the background.
Attached Images

Old 09-06-06, 23:01
Derek Heuring

Default Now and then: Cologne continued

Continuing my story:
Every year, the Denton Regional Library has a sell-off of books that aren't commonly signed out. They sell 100's of books for 25 cents apiece, a sale I seldom miss. A few years after my stint overseas I purchased a book titled: UNDER THE BOMBS The German Home Front 1942-1945 written by Earl R. Beck. Herr Beck relives his experiences as Nazi Germany was systematically bombed back into the Dark Ages. Quite compelling reading, actually.
The book contained many pictures of German cities and the damage they had received. One picture, quite interestingly, appears to have been taken during the war from near the spot my picture was taken in 1999. In the wartime pic, the Hohenzollern bridge has received extensive damage and has dropped into the Rhine. The Cathedral, undamaged, stands clearly in the background. In the modern pic, the bridge appears to have been repaired with the spans that had fallen, as the details appear the same. Quite a coincidence that I would take a picture that, unplanned, nearly equals a war time photo.

CHIMO!
Attached Images