MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 16-10-11, 15:25

Default Text removed as content is no longer current.

Text removed as content is no longer current.

Last edited by Stuart Fedak; 05-10-17 at 20:50.
Old 16-10-11, 19:01
Mr. HUP

Default Hammond Barn Excuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Fedak View Post
So......... what do you do when asked.... Where did that _______ come from? The other question I have not worked up a good answer for is..... "how many Iltis do you have?" Cheers! Stuart
In the beginning, Bob said it was Rob's and vice versa. It worked well until the ladies chatted...Along came Grant, but all too soon Joyce saw through that ruse. Now we automatically say "It's Clive's"

Here's hoping the better half does not read this posting.
Old 17-10-11, 04:54
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHClarke View Post
In the beginning, Bob said it was Rob's and vice versa. It worked well until the ladies chatted...Along came Grant, but all too soon Joyce saw through that ruse. Now we automatically say "It's Clive's"

Here's hoping the better half does not read this posting.
Hey!!! Oh, hang on, it's OK, I don't have a wife to keep happy.
Old 17-10-11, 05:12
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Fedak View Post

One question that my wife sometimes asks, is... "what do I do when you die... what to I do with all this stuff...... " I just tell her to call Bob, and he will haul it all away.......... That seems to work..........
My wife handed me a digital camera and a pad of paper. I was to list what I had with current suggested selling prices. "Please note the items of particular value" she asked. Should I be worried?

To be on the safe side, when she asks how it's going I always tell her "great, but I've still got a bunch more to do". I've stopped eating at home and check under the car every morning.

Kidding aside, a list of what you have, where it is and what it's value is is worth doing. I'm almost there and it has been nostalgic going over 'the collection' for the first time in a long while.
Old 17-10-11, 12:31

I think any of us who "collect" should have a "plan" in place for what happens after we have popped our clogs.

I am dealing with a situation with a gentleman who has been collecting for over 45 years (honestly Bob, you guys at the Hammond barn are rank amateurs compared to this guy) and is a pack rat par extraordinaire and his spouse. He is trying to downsize and she is hoping he can do it before the big C finishes him off.

She will just call the local scrap man and have him take it all away if he doesnt sort it out. She doesnt need the aggravation nor the cash. I am trying to help him create an inventory, in an expedient manner, it is a right schmozzle.

R
Old 17-10-11, 14:30
Mr. HUP

Default Making a List - Checking it Twice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Parker View Post
...Kidding aside, a list of what you have, where it is and what it's value is is worth doing. I'm almost there and it has been nostalgic going over 'the collection' for the first time in a long while.
I see pros and cons to this approach.

The pros: You really find out what you have (or what has gone missing), what you need, and what you can sell.

The cons: Once the list is completed, your collection will always be too much in the better half's opinion, in a few cases it will demonstrate that you have more project years than life left (chilling thought), and it will remind you of the "clag" that you just can't get rid of to recoup the cost of its recovery.

In my case, I have two CMP projects on the go and one SMP project to start up. The rest of my "collection" is destined for spare parts, or for sale/donation to various causes.

I think that a photo record of what is available will help in each case, particularly at the barn, where we "rank amateurs" have our various toys spread over 40 acres.
Old 17-10-11, 17:42
3RD ECHELON WKSP

I have been participating in the mv hobby now for around 15 years or so.
I have bought, sold, traded and collected all different eras and types of vehs during this time. Sooner or later a felow finds a niche that he really enjoys.
I fully agree with Stuart, as most businesses do, take the slow moving inventory or surplus to drum up funds for other needs!
It is too easy to collect and hoarde parts and pieces for a rainy day, just because or maybe I will have one day....
Its a lot easier to justify expenditures when it is simply a case of selling some junk that you don't really need to buy some junk that you do need.
This is the point that I am at, and, what I have been doing pretty much along the way. I am never one to turn down a deal on a box full of stuff, or a garage full for that matter, even if I was only needing or wanting one or two items; Rather, I see it for what it is, perhaps a diamond in the rough or a small goldmine of goodies which will help finance my hobby and not cut into the grocery bill.
When I go to a swap meet, many of you fellows know who I am. I regularly attend with a table or two and rarely go home with more money than I came with. What ends up happening is that I end up spending what I make or trading for what I need.
I applaud all the collectors out there for keeping these things available. Hopefully more guys will open up and let things go as demand is still there and unfortunately too many are quick to hoarde and not share. We all have to make honest assessment between reality and fantasy as surely we are all mortal and 100 years of projects for any one man is for sure, unrealistic.
Lucky for me, my other half supports my hobby. Its all about balance and needs. great idea on the "list", BTW, as very rarely do relatives or loved oneS understand or even have a clue on the value of the "junk" we collect.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 17-10-11, 17:56
carrier mech

There is a danger to making the list. The obvious one that nobody will speak of is that it will be used in the event of a divorce or some other legal matter. Instead of being able to spirit away all those items we bought in lieu of shoes, purses and make-up, they have now become tangible marital assets.

But the danger to not having the list is that certain small items that may be very valuable can end up going for sale in boxes of junk for a few dollars. I have a gunroom full of crap, but the few gems in there (for example a Bren Plessey sight now can sell for $3K to $5K) make proper listing important for the wife when I do cash it in. Same for carrier stuff out in the shed. The difference between $10 for the brass content or $200 for the sale value of a Bren AA stem mount depends on the proper ID and valuation of the item.

Just as important as the list is also the list of who does not come over the day after I go. I have heard of vultures coming over to houses while the body is still warm trying to claim a deal that does not exist. Rather, I have left instructions for the wife as to who can come over and properly evaluate the items, and not be out to make a quick buck.

As to mapping out the number of projects vs my expected life span, that is admitting mortality, and I am not quite there yet. I still haul home two or three projects for every one that I complete, and I am afraid I do not see an end to that cycle.
Old 17-10-11, 19:31
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Making lists of your goodies..

When making lists of your assets don't rely solely on your camera and computer..
After all.when you need it 10-20-30 years from now there will be no way to read it..Your brand new digital camera will produce images that will be so out dated that it will be impossible to get a copy of it to translate.
Like all my 35MM slides taken with the latest and greatest Pentax in 1969-70 can still be converted to a readable colour photo for $4.50 Each...and they are stored right next to my Kodak Carousel and trays of slides..never to be looked at again..
And that is piled on top of my latest and greatest Super 8 movie camera and all the reels of super 8 film of my wedding in Germany in '71..and that pile is right next to the Super 8 reel to reel to VHS video tape pile that I no longer have a video machine to play them with ,but converted at great expense,,,and that is sitting with my pile of 5.5" floppys and assorted other "Stuff" that no longer can be identified..played..or identified.
So what is the best way to record and save...
pencil and paper..but can the young'uns even write any more..that is fast becoming a lost art also..

Sell 'er while you are living..don't leave your family with your mess to clean up..not one of them want it..
Remember..when your possessions start owning you..instead of the other way around..and you got your needs and your wants in the wrong order..you are in trouble..
Do the family a favour and sell..
Only you know what it is and unless you can eat it..wear it..get under it to keep dry and warm or screw it..get rid of it...You don't need it/...
End Rant..
Going through it now.
Old 17-10-11, 19:38
RIP

That's why I saved everything on 23, 5 1/4-inch floppy disks!!
Old 17-10-11, 20:38

Make a list of the items by part number. If it does not have that on it, put on a label. If there does not exist a part number for the item or you simply do not know it make up your own numbering system for these items.

Do not store lists of your collection on your computer. You never know when the Taxman wants to have a peek (hope he is not peeking now!) or a hacker gets to it. Print it out or store it on a USB memory stick and hide it all.

I list everything in this way and add price bought for and current value. It is a lot of work but helps your relatives should an accident occur.

Cheers,

Daimler Dingo Mk1B 1941
Daimler Armoured Car Mk1 1943
Daimler Ferret Mk1/1 1959
Ford Universal Carrier No2 MkII* 1944
Ford GPW British Airborne 1944
Lightweight 10 Cwt Trailer SS Cars Ltd 1944
Anti-Tank Gun 6 Pdr 7 Cwt MkII 1942
Daf Trailer YAA602 1954
Daf Trailer AT16-24-1NL 1977
Daf 2100Turbo 1982
Old 17-10-11, 23:56
3RD ECHELON WKSP

I wish to comment on Rob Love's comment regarding "vultures".
We have all seen this, through family, friends and neighbours. Rest assured though, that this mentality is not limited to the "vultures" but can come full circle where the vulture is actually the "victim".
Several years ago a certain friend of mine who we all know, passed suddenly. This left his ill educated family (brothers) left cleaning up the estate.
While my friend and I had had several dealings between us over the years as well as pending agreements, I felt it was not appropriate to have him sign off and put pen to paper. He was sick and I was hoping for a full recovery. My loss.
When it came to settling up the estate, I offered the family my expertise and assistance in sorting and valuing his collection. At the same time I indicated that there were several items in his possession that were actually mine, being stored, or had been dealt to me. My friends brother essentially called me a liar and I was left without. As our deals had always been on a handshake, I did not have receipts etc. I was told that I could purchase what I wanted at the auction...
In the end I felt vindicated, although it was his heir who ultimately lost out. I purchased thousands of dollars in militaria for pennies on the dollar. I was ticked off at having to buy back what was actually mine but at the same time made out like a bandit.
Some examples of purchases made;
12 cmp tailights NOS $25
2- 1/2t truck tarp NOS $45
15cwt Ford cmp $130
UC carrier front armour $100
WW2 bell tent $45
12 CMP gauges NOS, $50
9.00-16 tires NOS $75, set of 4
(And yes, all these goodies were sold off a long time ago)
Sheer stubborness, mistrust and ignorance cost the estate thousands. I had approached the family initially, trying to do the right thing and be helpful.
This was typical and I know lots of others here did very very well too.
We all try to think we are immortal, and will live forever. Take it from me that when it comes to dollars, people get weird. Get it in writing, take it home, don't leave items long term.

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers

Last edited by chris vickery; 18-10-11 at 00:52.