Richard Notton

Default Re: $1000 Subsidy ALL D-Day Vets for 60th Anniversary

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D
Someone posted this in another site, from
a Globe and Mail article today!

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/...tory/National/
Well, I have to be somewhat cynical.

The govt can be seen to do the right thing but its all too late, travel arrangements and perhaps a new passport, now suddenly someone else is paying, is a real problem with only 3 weeks to go.

They haven't done any research or used a bit of common sense either. Normandy isn't like Disney Land/World and surrounded by hundreds of acres of motels, its decidedly non-tourist, people were booking what there was 2 years ago.

Current estimates put the influx at some 1,000,000 people, where are they to stay? We had a job even finding a campsite last November which was at the eleventh hour in effect.

The beaches and other places are to be strictly controlled, the French are issuing formal passes, we knew that months ago; everyone and his dog will try to be at a beach on the 6th; a bit of inter-govt liaison would have been nice. No gendarme is on leave that weekend. Strong rumours have presidential and royal presences over the weekend, so will the French police let throngs of thousands loose? I think not.

Ponder why the word has come down that carrying a jerrican in an external rack will result in official entanglements as will any form of weapon or sidearm, even de-acts with certification.

I'm guessing that a jerrican bomb could be easily hidden amongst the hordes of jerrican carrying vehicles, and where better to hide a real gun than amongst the vast numbers of 101 Airborne that it seems everyone and the French dress up in.

This happened to some UK vets who suddenly found local councils had a tiny budget to spend sending them over. This was last Jan and the national TV news reported they could only find accommodation some 80km or 50 miles inland.

Surely they've seen the B&W films and know what Bocage country is, Normandy isn't a theme park you can open once every 5 years.

Its actually very cynical treatment of your vets therefore and largely nugatory.

Their money is quite safe, it would be surprising if 0.1% could ever get spent; but my regrets are with the vets.

R.
Old 13-05-04, 01:29
Vets Dottir

Angry God.:(

Thanks R.

Dammit. Its cruel isn't it? Like slapping the Vets in the face, especially if you know that 60 years ago the Vets were mostly around 20 years old. 11th hour safe offer that can't be used?

Disgusted in Winnipeg
Old 13-05-04, 01:36
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Cassino

Sounds similar to the outcry in New Zealand when the NZ PM announced that the Official RNZAF VIP 757 was going to fly to ceremonies at Cassino and would take 70 politicians and bureaucrats and graciously also take 20 surviving veteran "D-Day Dodgers" along with them.
After some deep thinking, the Govt announced that not all of the pollies would be required and there would now be more space for a few more vets.
Old 13-05-04, 02:30
Richard Notton

Default Re: God.:(

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D
Thanks R.

Dammit. Its cruel isn't it? Like slapping the Vets in the face, especially if you know that 60 years ago the Vets were mostly around 20 years old. 11th hour safe offer that can't be used?

Disgusted in Winnipeg
I understand.

We can only tell it as it is.

Your age estimate is about right, maybe some of the NCOs and junior officers were 30 somethings; so, they're all 80 something now and most will be somewhat infirm. You can't go carting these people about for miles and miles, then expect them to walk a fair way to the closed-off beaches etc, arrangements should have been started at least a year ago between governments.

Just shows how thoughtful those in power actually are perhaps and their grasp on history; with regret I note that this may well be the last big do, the math alone suggests the 70th will see very few actual D-Day vets at all.

Paradoxically it can be frightening for these old warriors too; on the 55th Mrs N and I strolled around Pegasus bridge - the new scaled-up one, when a mini-bus of red beret old soldiers arrived and in minutes they were literally mobbed like pop-stars in a huge crush of people which only resolved itself when the gendarmes arrived.

R.
Old 13-05-04, 03:06
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: God.:(

Quote:
Originally posted by FV623
... arrangements should have been started at least a year ago between governments.

Just shows how thoughtful those in power actually are perhaps and their grasp on history; with regret I note that this may well be the last big do, the math alone suggests the 70th will see very few actual D-Day vets at all.
R.
Makes me think that those in power either don't know or don't appreciate that the thrones of power they sit on were saved for them by the actions and blood of the Fallen Soldiers and these wonderful surviving Vets they treat like crap when they should be bowed down to and thanked.

What gratitude?

This thread obviously touches a bitterness in myself ... about Vets, but also about how our Elderly across the board.

How so many of those who enjoy the powers, freedoms, conveniences, and easiness of life that was created or saved for them by the very elderly people who now depend on them when they need help ... to do right by them ...do NOT do right.

In my mind there is something just EXTRA immoral, or something about when our elders are treated like crap or ignored after all they contributed and did for the younger generations.

I'm ranting. Sorry It's just so disturbing to me.

Carman
Old 13-05-04, 03:37
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Re: God.:(

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D
Makes me think that those in power either don't know or don't appreciate that the thrones of power they sit on were saved for them. . . . . . .
Hmmmmm, more like by way of illustration perhaps:
"The working class
can lick my arse
I've got the foremans job
at last."

Quote:
In my mind there is something just EXTRA immoral, or something about when our elders are treated like crap or ignored after all they contributed and did for the younger generations.

I'm ranting. Sorry It's just so disturbing to me.
Probably preaching to the converted on this forum; I have found ranting at even the minor govt minions just underlines their assumptions that such vocal people are far right xenophobic fascists and its a bit like pissing yourself in a dark suit.

Gives you a warm feeling but nobody notices.

R.
Old 13-05-04, 03:49
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: God.:(

Quote:
Originally posted by FV623
Hmmmmm, more like by way of illustration perhaps:
"The working class
can lick my arse
I've got the foremans job
at last."

Probably preaching to the converted on this forum; I have found ranting at even the minor govt minions just underlines their assumptions that such vocal people are far right xenophobic fascists and its a bit like pissing yourself in a dark suit.

Gives you a warm feeling but nobody notices.

R.
Yeah yeah, I know.

In the end actions speak louder than words anyways and talk is like pissin' in the wind ... the pee flies back in your face and nothing has changed either.

One of the nice things about this MLU community is that it cares ... for all the right reasons and out of REAL awareness and appreciation.

I find this place very ... heartening.

Carman
Old 14-05-04, 01:58

Default Glass 1/2 Full

I suppose that someone should look on the bright side. Too late, yes. Too little, yes, but for vets like Herb Danter who have already booked the trip this $$ is a Godsend. Many have dipped into savings or made loans to be able to go. This money will certainly make a big difference to them. For these vets I would like to think the glass is half full.
Now we should all write our MP's and see what we can do about getting EVERY vet money for VE Day in Holland next year.
Barry