Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 12-04-06, 16:32
Brad Mills

Default \

\
Old 12-04-06, 18:23
BIG MIKE

that is cool to see keith cook on a truck grill, Hey brad the only Grill we got is the mesh cover for muffler , I'm afraid all our steaks would slip off, LOL , 1 ? for the aussis are the Kangaroos like the goats for the Brits and the Sheep for the canadians? Cheers

BIG MIKE
Old 12-04-06, 19:55
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Grilling

Ahh yes the good old BBQ

You have to make sure you burn off all the lead based paint thoroughly before use, and yes, we can eat 'Roo meat here - it's very lean and good for you but can taste a bit gamey so it's not very popular.

Just as well we have so many spare CMPs here to be able to do this, eh?

Those with carriers can cut off a piece of the ABP armour from his carrier to use as a flat cooking plate!

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 12-04-06, 20:02
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Canadians...??? Sheep...????

Quote:
Originally posted by BIG MIKE
for the aussis are the Kangaroos like the goats for the Brits and the Sheep for the canadians?
Big Mike...
Jeez,brother ...give us a break....!!
SHEEP.....???
Man...up here we eat polar bears....
And no sissy guns for this kid...
Why just this winter I went out for mine with my Russel Boat knife...(Issued RCAF Arctic Survival back in '71...)
Anyway ,I tracked a big one down,snuck up on him and jumped him,and he turned around to run,'cause I put the fear of god in him,and I seen he was gonna out run me so I stuck my finger up his ass and It took me a mile and a half to gain and inch on him so's I could get a crook in my finger to get a grip to climb up over his back to cut his throat...

Ask Sean..He had to bring the carrier out to help drag him home...
That ol' Russel Boat Knife is so sharp I cut up some of that bear in slices so thin ,they only had one side...
Yes sir...None of those sissy sheep for us...it is bear stakes and bulls nuts......
Canada..Where men are men and wimmen are damned glad of it...
Old 12-04-06, 23:04
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Grilling

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb
Just as well we have so many spare CMPs here to be able to do this, eh?
Sacrilege! And then there's that other Aussie bloke who took the idea one step further and sacrificed a Ford grille and Ford FGT bonnet!

Quote:
Now how did this thread get so far off topic???
To bring it back on track, Ron can cut off a piece of the ABP armour from his carrier to use as a flat cooking plate!
I've split up the thread to prevent Ron getting crazy ideas and cutting up his carrier!!

H.
Old 13-04-06, 04:49
V.M.V.C Member

Default BBQ plate

Hey Hanno,
Where do you tink the babie plate came from.
Remember this pic?
Attached Images

4? C-GT (Aust) #8
44 C-GT (Aust) #9
42 Jeep, Trailer Aust 3
Welbike MK2 complete
Welbike MK2 inconplete under resto
C15A x3
C60S x1 ex ambo
F60L x3
LP2a carrier SAR #4993.
Trailer No27 Limber
Trailer, Cario cargo
Trailer, Pontoon semi
Wiles Cooker 2 wheeled (jnr)
Old 14-04-06, 00:42
MLU Administrator

Default Re: BBQ plate

Quote:
Originally posted by Euan McDonald
Hey Hanno,
Remember this pic?
Hey Euan,

Sure I remember this pic...but that's only your Chevrolet your grinding away on
It's the improper use of a Ford grille and Ford FGT bonnet which terrifies me!

Hanno (who uses a proper Weber barbie)
Old 16-04-06, 07:04
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Canadians...??? Sheep...????

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Blair
Big Mike...
SHEEP.....???
Why just this winter I went out for mine with my Russel Boat knife...(Issued RCAF Arctic Survival back in '71...)
Anyway ,I tracked a big one down,snuck up on him and jumped him,and he turned around to run,'cause I put the fear of god in him,and I seen he was gonna out run me so I stuck my finger up his ass and It took me a mile and a half to gain and inch on him so's I could get a crook in my finger to get a grip to climb up over his back to cut his throat...

That ol' Russel Boat Knife is so sharp I cut up some of that bear in slices so thin ,they only had one side...
Yes sir...None of those sissy sheep for us...it is bear stakes and bulls nuts......

Damn straight Alex! Sheep!?! No Mike, Not when we've got 2,000 pound moose running around my old province of B.C., not to mention Mule Deer, Coastal Black tail, Whitetail, Caribou, Elk, Black Bear (world record 1,000 lb. shot in B.C.), Grizzly bear, Cougar, 4 kinds of Mountain Sheep: Dall, Stone, California Big Horn, and Rocky Mountain Bighorn, and Mountain Goat. And that's just the big game we eat. From the waters we get 50 lb. Salmon, 400 lb. Halibut, and 1400 lb. Sturgeon, not to mention the other 100 species of fish and shellfish. For game birds we have about 20 species of duck, 4 species of goose, 5 species of Grouse, Band Tail pigeons, Wild Turkey, Quail, Chukars, Doves
and Pheasant. Last Whitetail I shot in B.C. was 350 lbs. Compare that to a Texas Whitetail which might hit 125 lbs!
Sheep!?! Faaagghhh! However, a little Spring Lamb from Saltspring Island in a nice mint sauce....
Old 16-04-06, 07:25
M38A1 CDN3

Default Re: Canadians...??? Sheep...????

Quote:
Big Mike...
SHEEP.....???

Alex: Good one! LMFAO!

Max Hedges...beware, Alex might take on some of your sheep just for practise!

Ahhh...the cutting 'edge. (Get it?).
Old 16-04-06, 14:47

Default Hunting stories...

Thanks Jon and Sapper..

My kids were born and grew up on the prairies and grew up on deer meat and elk and wild geese and ducks and prairie chickens ..
I Sask they had two zones..North and South..5 deer limits between the two zones white tail and mule deer..
I had one 10 Cu.ft. freezer that all it had in it was smoked sausage..
Derek..That spring lamb is great..barbequed with my own mint jelly..Grow my own English mint and use it all summer ..It grows like a weed in the garden..
Got a ground hog out in the neighbours yard I have to deal with now..Did one in last year..got another moved in this spring...
I'll gas him this week..
Garden hose to the tail pipe for that lad...
Old 16-04-06, 18:56
In Vino Veritas

Default Re: Hunting stories...

Quote:
Thanks Jon and Sapper..

I Sask they had two zones..North and South..

Got a ground hog out in the neighbours yard I have to deal with now..Did one in last year..got another moved in this spring...
I'll gas him this week..
Garden hose to the tail pipe for that lad...
And Winnipeg has 2 seasons...winter and construction. I tried to flood out a western prairie dog family , much more vigorous diggers than those eastern ground hogs, and caused the '97 Red River flood, my face was sure red.
Alex you forgot to mention the the skill required to transport a carrier on kayaks to get to the sheet ice. I think navigating was the hardest part , because those skinny tracks fit on a kayak deck pretty easy.
Also, the skill of using A 5 ton bullet for chicken and rabbit hunting, knocking them unconcious at 70mph on gravel takes a bit of training and whiskey.
My dad used to just whistle and rabbits would just jump in to the big stew pot and bring carrots and taters from the garden on the way.
Worlds's best snipers come from the Prairies too!!! You try sniping a 10" moving target at 6 miles with a .22 short ,sun in your eyes, and the average dailey 50mph light prairie breeze blowing across your path.
Yup, sure miss walking 17 miles to town just to smell that pretty girl that worked at the slaughter house. the best!
Sean
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 16-04-06, 19:01

Ye Gads Alex!!! Are you that bad off in Ottawa that you are stooping to ground hogs. I can't imagine eating them even with your home made mint. Come down to Castleton and get some of the turkeys we have in our bush, or even a deer. If you insist on ground hog we have lots of pre killed ones. Those and raccons abound along the sideroads here. They get real ripe after about 2 days though.
Cheers,
Barry

Every twenty minute job is one broken bolt away from a three day ordeal.
Old 17-04-06, 12:09
Pops

Default our story

Alex, at a town called Goulburn which is about 7days by bullock wagon to our east onthe old great south road you will come across quite a large speciman of a sheep. Man this sheep is so big that a polar bear would wet himself with fright and your poor old elk would pass out on the spot. We find that it's best to keep on the good side of our sheep , if you make it to our land one day and would like to meet up with our big merino we can arrange that but please don't stick your figer up its.........
Old 17-04-06, 14:19

Default Grub....

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry Churcher
Ye Gads Alex!!! Are you that bad off in Ottawa that you are stooping to ground hogs. I can't imagine eating them even with your home made mint. Come down to Castleton and get some of the turkeys we have in our bush, or even a deer. If you insist on ground hog we have lots of pre killed ones. Those and raccons abound along the sideroads here. They get real ripe after about 2 days though.
Cheers,
Barry
Barry..
I don't eat road kill anymore..
And the Missus hates ground hogs so I'm just gonna gas the little bast*rd down in its hole...Takes a water hose taped and sealed to the tail pipe and about a half an hour on idle...
And Max,thanks for the offer on the sheep.butt, I'll pass....
Old 17-04-06, 15:05
Mark

Default Big aint always what you got to watch for.

Well you Northern boys have sure got it easy up there everthing is so big you could hardly miss what your aiming for.
Why hell we got a spider the size of a thumbnail that gets in your bed sheets RESULT your dead in a minute.
We also got a jelly fish that is smaller than a thumb nail and totally tranparent in the water, touch it, hey your dead in 15 seconds.
We got a little blue ring octopus the size of a match box that hangs out on the East coast touch him and your dead before your next breath.

Guys I dont want to start on the big stuff cause we got this Aussie Tourist add that,s meant to get you guys too head South for a holiday. They use the word "Bloody" in that one as a ploy to making a fair dinkum Aussie statement. Its just to get you down here to feed the Sharks Crocs and Pigs

Because Bloody is all that is left of you when you start mucking with this BIG stuff.
Old 17-04-06, 15:19
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Hunting stories...

Quote:
Thanks Jon and Sapper..

My kids were born and grew up on the prairies

'Tho I was born in B.C., the family farm was near Pigeon Lake, Manitoba. My Grandad had 2 1/2 sections of wheat. I didn't get out to visit the farm as often as I would have liked but always had a good time with all my cousins, aunts, and uncles. Something to be said for rural livin'! My grandma made the best darn Saskatoon berry pies this side of the Assiniboine River!
Funny, but I found the unrelenting flatness disturbing. Being from very mountainous country, I felt very exposed standing out on the bald-headed prairie. One day when visiting the farm, I thought I could see something way off in the distance. I grabbed a pair of binoculars from the house and raised them to my eyes. Slowly focussing the eyepiece something came into view...Dang!...it was the back of my head! Now that's flat!!!

CHIMO!
Old 17-04-06, 16:55
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Big aint always what you got to watch for.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rusty
Well you Northern boys have sure got it easy up there

Think your antipodean fauna is dangerous now do ya' lad? Well, look what this Canadian Polar bear caught for dinner!
Attached Images

Old 17-04-06, 19:15
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Re: Hunting stories...

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowtractor
And Winnipeg has 2 seasons

I thought the two seasons were 10 months of Winter and 2 months of poor sledding?
Old 16-04-07, 13:34
Film maker, CMP addict

Default 1001 uses for a dead Chev

Here's a fresh barbecue shot a couple of days ago - nothing like the diamond mesh burnt into the meat!
The grille is from the 6 seat utility.
Attached Thumbnails
barbie.jpg  

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 16-04-07, 14:44
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default Re: BBQ plate

Quote:
Originally posted by Euan McDonald
Hey Hanno,
Remember this pic?
Sure do, and it still gives me the Heeebie-Jeebies!