MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 19-06-06, 21:25
Senior Forum Member

Exclamation ...either an idiot or someone badly needs a lesson in history......

"NO NAMES, NO PACK DRILL", but I've just read an article which stated that this year, 2006, marks the 60th Anniversary of both the Battle of Verdun and the Battle of the Somme.

Gee...so according to the article, both battles took place in 1946!?!?..... and just think, the nameless idiot who wrote it probably makes 'Big Bucks'!!, not to mention whoever the other idiot was who proof read it before it went to press........

I suppose next month I'll probably read that Dieppe took place in 1902 or something.... .......
Old 19-06-06, 22:03

Default Re: ...either an idiot or someone badly needs a lesson in history......

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
[B :
I suppose next month I'll probably read that Dieppe took place in 1902 or something.... ....... [/B]
This painting by Walter Sickert is entitled "Bathers, Dieppe" and dated 1902. I think it probably shows the first troops going ashore

Rich
Old 19-06-06, 23:13
Bluebell

Default Mark

I believe news papers are not proof read these days.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 19-06-06, 23:31
RIP

Default Geez Mark !!

You don't understand.They are hiring young people who don't have the foggoest, and paying them next to nothing.They haven't a clue,BUT,they have university degrees up their wazoos.It goes to show you where we are going.
Old 20-06-06, 01:56
Senior Forum Member

Angry Re: Geez Mark !!

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Shipton
.....BUT,they have university degrees up their wazoos....
.... Garry, You just had to remind me that these idiots have university degrees to boot!!!..... ...... classses and lectures must be held in the sh*thouse I guess...... , either that, or the prize in a box of 'Cracker-Jacks' these days is a university degree.....
Old 20-06-06, 03:47

Even the speech writers seem to have trouble getting it right. I recall Priminister Martin (here's everybodys chance to go boo hiss) refering to the Normandy invasion as 'Norway" not once but twice in the same speech. The back drop to this was a group of the Candian Forces personel. Not one face showed any sign of wonder or shock at the mistake. It would seem even the military is as in the dark about history as the university students.
I wouldn't beat up the younger generation too much. The education system has done nothing to inform them for the last 40 years and military tradition has disappeared with the attrition of the forces.
It might be wishful thinking but the D-day and V-E day celebrations showcased Canadas war effort to a lot of people who may not have been aware of it.
The Battle of The Somme started July 1 1916 and in Canada probably only Newfoundlanders even bother to remember on that day and with good reason. In todays world last weeks news might as well be 90 years ago we seem to rush ahead with no reguard to the past.
Old 20-06-06, 14:18
Vets Dottir

Default Re: ...either an idiot or someone badly needs a lesson in history......

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
[B]"Gee...so according to the article, both battles took place in 1946!?!?
Hmmmm ... the writer don't know nuthin and the editor was out to lunch?
Old 20-06-06, 14:38

Default Re: Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by Lynn Eades
I believe news papers are not proof read these days.
Afraid you are correct, nobody proof reads any more they leave it to the spell check and grammar check on the computer. You are also correct though in that history is not being taught in the schools today, my wife is a reference, and children’s librarian and we have a good laugh over some of the questions she gets from students and teachers. But then, my wife is quick to point out she is seeing the ones who are bright enough to ask questions.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 20-06-06, 15:22
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

When my son was in high school they spent about three weeks on Canada's role in war vs three years on the history of Quebec. I was pissed, but obviously I got through to him because he joined the Queen's Own Rifles (and told me about it afterwards). A fine young man, him.

The school system still pisses me off, though. We need to acknowledge our heritage more than ever now, but it's not happening.
Old 20-06-06, 20:01
RIP

Default My youngest daughter knows her history

Lil Christine(who looks like my Irish grandmother,Elizabeth Fanon from Kingston,Ontario,cause she was/is tiny) took a history course at Champlain College.The prof asked a simple question."What was the signifance of our victory at Vimy Ridge"?This part she told me over supper when I asked her "So,what did you say?".She says," At first nothing.Then I finally put my hand up and said,We became a nation.I couldn't wait to get home to tell you"."So,I asked her "How did you remember this?'She said,"Like DA dad,you've been harping me on this since I was in grade school".
Signed
A proud dad