MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 14-11-09, 01:55
MVT Member 11001

Default RN Vehicles

It's great to look at old posts sometimes. I have just found out that CFMU stands for Coastal Forces Maintenance Unit. Now all I need is to find what 4MLRU stands for! An MARU was a Mobile Ammunition Repair Unit and ML in the RN is used for Motor Launch so is MLRU - Motor Launch Repair Unit?

Thinking about RN operations you can image that ships would put in to the nearest port with damage- that would then be repaired by mobile units using cutting tools, grinders and generators as seen in the photos posted here.

Has anyone got any more to post?

Last edited by Larry Hayward; 14-11-09 at 01:57. Reason: Because its late!
Old 14-11-09, 02:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hayward View Post
Now all I need is to find what 4MLRU stands for!
ML in the RN is used for Motor Launch so is MLRU - Motor Launch Repair Unit?
Larry,

This was a question I have been asking for nearly 30 years, after finding it on the door of a Morris Commercial C4 air compressor truck, and the conclusion drawn was Motor Launch Repair Unit, I had even contacted the Royal Navy historical branch back then, with no luck, but after seeing the Coastal Force vehicle photos, it pretty much confirms my thought line.

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 15-11-09, 19:53
Stan Watt

Default Royal Navy Morris

The Morris commercial photographed at the navel yard is not a navy truck. It was one of several bought in the early fifties by a company in Aberdeen from the army disposal sales in Irving to be civilised. This Morris was a radio truck that was modified into a breakdown wagon by removing the radio cabin and installing a flat platform with the curved sides and a Harvy Frost crane. The radio cabins were then sold off, apparently they were very popular as ready made garden sheds. The body from this Morris ended up as a hen house.

The Morris was bought to be the recovery vehicle for the Fountain Garage in Great Northern Road Aberdeen, who were a Reliant main dealer and used by them right up until the late 1980s when the garage closed. I bought the truck from the owner’s son in 1990 who has started to put it back into military trim but had given up due to work commitments. I refitted a 15 cwt GS body which was rebuilt from several found at an old site in the wilds of Aviemore, remade the cab doors and painted it OD green.

During it’s time with the garage the truck had been fitted with an elderly Perkins diesel and huge four speed crash box which refused to rev over 1100 rpm and give the truck a cruising speed 25 mph. After a couple of rally seasons of this I decided an engine transplant was needed. I had an old 1975 FD series BMC truck lying in the yard so pulled the 2.2 diesel engine and synchromesh gearbox out of that and transferred it to the Morris.. During the rebuild I noticed the rear axle in the FD was remarkably slimier looking to the one on the Morris and stripping them both down I was able to swap the FD’s crown wheel and pinion with the Morris one. The result was a truck that could return 30 mpg and cruise happily at 50 mph although stopping was another matter.

When the Morris was with the garage it ran on a Q number plate as seen on the picture with it in green paint. Just before I sold it and it went down to England I painted it khaki and black, the picture of it with RAF markings and age related number plate was taking I believe at RAF Evington. Then recently I found on the great Classic Commercial Motor Vehicles website under the Morris Commercial section two more pictures of my old truck now in Royal Navy colours at the Chatham navel yard with its civilian number plate and 3883 RN.

A well travelled old truck displayed in the colours of all three services but as they say there is more. The Perth Australia model makers have a very good military model website with daily listings of all new military kits. And last week there was a page with Plus Models new release of a very nice 1/35 scale resin Morris in blue with the 3883 RN number plate complete with the old jeep jerry can holder behind the passenger side of the cab which I fitted to give me a bit more range and can be clearly seen in all the pictures. Sorry to anybody in advance for any copyright infringements.

Cheers Stan

Click image for larger version

Name:	030 (600 x 409).jpg
Views:	198
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	31646 Click image for larger version

Name:	050 (600 x 405).jpg
Views:	199
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	31647

Name:	011=40.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	31648 Name:  morr004 (411 x 271).jpg
Views: 300
Size:  30.3 KB

Name:	morris2_c4_yff947[gc] (600 x 400).jpg
Views:	215
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	31650
Old 15-11-09, 23:15
MVT Member 11001

Vor,

Thanks for the clarification. Its so easy for schemes on preserved military vehicles to be taken as a true representation of their original wartime use! In Terence Wise's Book 'D-Day to Berlin', on war time camo (Arms & Armour Press published 1979) there is a colour drawing on page 44 of a Dingo of the Guards Div - but in fact this is a drawing of a vehicle on the rally circuit at the time! The artist has even drawn the tax disk holder attached to the side of the hull!
Old 15-11-09, 23:47

Smile RN markings

Quote:
Alan,

Thanks for sharing your photos and increasing our knowledge of the subject! With regard to the markings I think many would suggest that the MU 2 in CFMU 2 was for Maintenance Unit 2! The C could be for Combined? The F could be for Fleet or Forces. I need to learn more about the organisation of the RN fleets get an answer!

After the CFMU 2 is a number which I would suggest is a number given to each vehicle in the unit.

As the 'Tilly' has a white star & circle sign on the bonnet, it would suggest a UK or NW European RN unit. Perhaps they had a role in the D-Day landings?

As for NP1712 its common to nearly all the vehicles you posted but I have no idea what it means!

With regard to the Bedford 15cwt W/T I note it has the same 'odd looking' oversized body as the very first photo I posted in the thread, so it must have been made that way.

Keep them coming!
I am pretty certain that NP will stand for Naval Party. Any Naval unit (other than a ship) operating independently will get a Naval Party number which enables personnel to be posted to it.

Chris
Old 16-11-09, 23:00

Default Cfmu

Although it could stand for other things as well, CFMU stands for Coastal Forces Mobile Unit - there were two, CFMU 1 & CFMU 2, which were Flotillas of Motor Torpedo Boats( possibly Motor Gun Boats also) which, in 44/45, were based on the European coast moving up with the land forces - [Arromanches; Ostend; Copenhagen; Cuxhaven]
I presume that the photos of CFMU 2 vehicles represent the shore establishment for this unit.
I did ask Alan Brock if he had any further info on these photos but got no reply.
Noel
Old 17-11-09, 08:59

That makes a bit of sense Noel my dad was on motor gun boats and his flotilla moved up the coast and finished at Hamberg before moving to Cuxhaven where they spent a few months as security for shipping
Old 30-11-09, 23:58
MVT Member 11001

Default RN vehicles

More photos please! I would like to see more photos of vehicles used by the RN and FAA in the UK.

An ex-FAA Petty Officer I know who was with the Naval Air Radio Installation Unit say the unit had one 10 ton and one 5 ton truck, a 10 hp ‘Tilly’ pickup truck and a motorbike and sidecar.

Any suggestions for the 10 ton and 5 ton trucks? Would these have been impressed civi types with that load weight capacity?
Old 01-12-09, 21:26

Larry

The RN were issued with a small number of Mack NR 10 tonners, most of these were in the far east but not sure if any in the UK as i have not seen any records to state
cheers
Les
Old 01-12-09, 22:50

Default RN Vehicles in preservation

Heres one I restored earlier
This is maybe not the best picture I have of this Land Rover that I bought, restored and rallied.
LAND ROVER 10 SEAT 107" WB STATION WAGON, built 1957/58
Operated by RNAS Culdrose, Cornwall. Pretty rare vehicle in UK as very few station wagons were bought by private users due to high taxation.
Very useful vehicle for attending rallies as it was easily converted as a sleeping quarters, Land rover had designed the rear bench seat to fold back over and form a flat area, just add front seat squabs to front of this seat and clip to ledge on main bulkhead and you end up with a 7' x 6' 6" Sprung and padded bed.
Used in conjunction with a 9x9 tent and easy base camp set up.
The vehicle carried a yellow Cross painted on the length of the roof , I was told that this was to make it visible from the air when parked on Tarmac [dark blue and black looking much the same from above] Hopefully to stop pilots parking helicopters on top of it.
I had to get written permission from the base comander before I could re apply the station name to the doors. For added security and vehicle use flexibility I also had spare front doors with out RN painted on to leave on the vehicle when using the public highways except on the way to or from a vehicle/ military vehicle rally.
Happy to answer any further questions or post more pics
Stephen
Attached Thumbnails
FLEET AIR ARM LAND ROVER 10 SEAT STATION WAGON 2 LITRE PETROL.jpg  
Old 02-12-09, 11:52

Request to Larry Hayward. Is there any chance of higher resolution pictures of the two that you posted with motorcycles. I can't make out the one in the Pacific, the one in Oz looks like an Indian 741? email ronpier@talk21.com

Regards Ron

Last edited by Ron Pier; 02-12-09 at 12:00.
Old 02-12-09, 12:13

The picture in O&M's British Forces Motorcycles that Richard Farrent refers to, is i'm convinced a 350cc C12? Again wrong caption?

Ron
Old 02-12-09, 22:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Pier View Post
The picture in O&M's British Forces Motorcycles that Richard Farrant refers to, is i'm convinced a 350cc C12? Again wrong caption?
Hi Ron,

Did O&M got their caption wrong then?

I see there were only about 16 C12 machines ordered by the Admiralty.

Old 03-12-09, 08:47

Hi Richard.
When I rebuilt my own 39 KC10 I did quite a bit of research to get it fairly correct. Here is also a factory drawing of a 1940 WC10.
There are some things is the O&M picture that just point to it being a C12.
The barrel certainly looks bigger? Ron
Attached Thumbnails
C10 finnished. 001.jpg   C10 C11 001.jpg  

Last edited by Ron Pier; 03-12-09 at 09:02.
Old 03-12-09, 19:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Pier View Post
Hi Richard.
When I rebuilt my own 39 KC10 I did quite a bit of research to get it fairly correct. Here is also a factory drawing of a 1940 WC10.
There are some things is the O&M picture that just point to it being a C12.
The barrel certainly looks bigger? Ron
Hi Ron,

You are right. I can see the picture in the O&M book was wrongly captioned as I used that to count the barrel fins, just goes to show, you can not trust all you see. I knew one thing, it was certainly not a M20 in the original picture on here and I think that one came from one of the motor cycle magazines.

regards, Richard

Old 03-12-09, 21:17

Yes Richard I picked up on that miss captioned picture also. But you beat me to the correction. It's that Jan you know. He should stick to Enfields. Only joking Jan.

Ron
Old 14-12-09, 00:58
MVT Member 11001

Default RN bikes

Ron,

I'm sure you realise that all the motorcycle photos of RN bikes were posted by REWDCO (A.K.A. Jan in the Netherlands) and not me.
Old 14-12-09, 13:33

Hi Larry. Jan is always a helpfull sorce of information I know. But there were a couple of pictures that you posted on Dec 2nd. They were vehicle pictures that included a motorcycle each. I'd just like a better look if poss.

Regards Ron
Old 14-12-09, 13:38

Of Coarse I now realize it was Dec 2nd 2005 DOH!

Ron
Old 17-01-10, 19:45
MVT Member 11001

Default RN vehicles

Sorry Ron,

The photos I posted in 2005 were off the web and were not very high resolution so I cannot help make then clearer.
Old 12-02-10, 00:02

Default More

Just found some more info on Navy (Etc) Wireless vehiles. The site is mainly concerned with naval radar and is huge but on this page look half way down for "Naval Radar Vans [Mobile] Part one" and" part two".
Also near the bottom of the page look at "VHF Stations part4" - theres anunusual Jeep set up.
I think many of the vehicles/containers shown ar for use with MONAB units (as mentioned previously- see 20 Nov 2008 post). The files are all .pdf format - so difficult to extract photos but here's a couple:
Noel
Attached Thumbnails
Air Station Control.jpg  
Attached Images

Last edited by Noel Burgess; 12-02-10 at 00:03. Reason: correct typo
Old 12-03-10, 04:09

Default No1 Mobile Land Repair Unit

Quote:
It's great to look at old posts sometimes. I have just found out that CFMU stands for Coastal Forces Maintenance Unit. Now all I need is to find what 4MLRU stands for! An MARU was a Mobile Ammunition Repair Unit and ML in the RN is used for Motor Launch so is MLRU - Motor Launch Repair Unit?

Thinking about RN operations you can image that ships would put in to the nearest port with damage- that would then be repaired by mobile units using cutting tools, grinders and generators as seen in the photos posted here.

Has anyone got any more to post?
Thankyou All for the information you have turned up on this subject, it has allowed me to connect many dots.

4MLRU stand for Number 4 Mobile Land Repair Unit.
My Grandfatehr formed No1 MLRU as Naval Party 871 in Algiers in April 1943 to invade Sicily (Husky) and then Salerno (Avalanche). 1MLRU was disbanded in Naples in December 1943 and all the originals were sent back to England and formed 3&4MLRU to invade Normandy in June 1944.

I have a reasonable amount of information on these completely un-recorded RN units, so would like to reply to several of the posts individually.

In the mean time have a look at the photos and documents on my Webshots pages:
http://news.webshots.com/album/571340078sIySOY
http://news.webshots.com/album/560302531PWmBes

I am in the process of writing Grandfathers history and this forum has turned up information such as:
Quote:
"Hi, I’d just like to thank you very much inded for sharing these photo’s and documents. I am researching my Family History and my Grandfather Philip Brueton served in both the 1MLRU & 4MLRU and I didn’t think I would find out more than that - but to see from your docs that he got a special mention is wonderful. Best wishes Aidan Goodal"
Regards Stephen Morse
Old 12-03-10, 20:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by illgato View Post
4MLRU stand for Number 4 Mobile Land Repair Unit.
My Grandfatehr formed No1 MLRU as Naval Party 871 in Algiers in April 1943 to invade Sicily (Husky) and then Salerno (Avalanche). 1MLRU was disbanded in Naples in December 1943 and all the originals were sent back to England and formed 3&4MLRU to invade Normandy in June 1944.
Hello Stephen,

It was actually me who was looking to find out about 4MLRU. I have been searching to identify the unit for 30 years now. Back then, I was helping a friend restore a 1943 Morris Commercial truck, which carried a large air compressor. When I rubbed the paint down on the doors, the RN vehicle number came up and below it 4MLRU. We contacted the Admiralty to trace the vehicle, but they were unaware of any existing records for M.T.

If you know of where 4MLRU operated, pre and post D-Day, that might help narrow the history down. The mileage on the truck was low, and quite possibly genuine, as I think it had been laying in a scrapyard since disposal soon after the war. I was contacted my its new owner only recently and I am sure he would be interested to hear more.

regards, Richard

Old 14-03-10, 01:18
MVT Member 11001

Default Morris Commercial

Richard,

JUst out of interest, regarding the new owner of the Morris Commercial Compressor truck, is he the owner of the one recently listed on Milweb, painted in Army colours?
Old 14-03-10, 11:55

Quote:
Richard,

JUst out of interest, regarding the new owner of the Morris Commercial Compressor truck, is he the owner of the one recently listed on Milweb, painted in Army colours?
Larry,
Yes, that was the one.

Old 16-03-10, 01:14
MVT Member 11001

Shame I didn't get in there quick enough as I'd love to own a Morris Commercial though I bet spare parts are now a problem hence the price of £4600!

It would be nice to think that the new owner will put it back into RN markings though I bet it won't be. Was it ever gray in colour or did the MLRU markings appear over a typical army scheme for the period?
Old 16-03-10, 02:12

Quote:
Shame I didn't get in there quick enough as I'd love to own a Morris Commercial though I bet spare parts are now a problem hence the price of £4600!

It would be nice to think that the new owner will put it back into RN markings though I bet it won't be. Was it ever gray in colour or did the MLRU markings appear over a typical army scheme for the period?
Larry,

My recollection from 30 years ago, was that parts were not easy to find then, we trawled the old motor parts dealers as the engines were used in civvy lorries and agricultural vehicles. The original colour of the C4 was brown, from the factory, no sign of grey. It had a coat of green on top.

Old 16-03-10, 05:34

Default 4MLRU Operations

Hi Richard,
Sorry I don't know much about where 3&4MLRU operated by my guess would be as follows:

Formed sometime between December 1943 (from 1MLRU) and May 1944, probably based at Portsmouth.

Would have landed D+1 or 2.
Here is the only official mention I have ever found about MLRUs (it refers to ONLY 3&4).

" XVI. Recovery and Repair.
1. Recovery, maintenance and repair in the assault area were under the general control of senior engineer officers on FOBAA (Flag Officer, British Assault Area) Staff. These included base engineer, electrical and construction officers, principal salvage officer, and fuelling officer.
2. Off shore repairs were handled by large repair parties in LSE, Depot Ships and floating docks.
3. In shore repair and recovery was organized on a divisional front basis under the NOIC. His staff included Reserve Assault Group Squadron Engineer Officers and Engineer Officers of the MLRU."

see: http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/...mNavEu-10.html

Initial port targets would have been Port-en-Bessin and Oiustreham as well as beach support in the British area.

They would have then leap-frogged ports up the coast through France, Belgium, Holland and possibly to Germany.

The Units would have been disbanded as soon as there were no more ports to assault.

Your compressor truck was used to support divers, air tools, salvage pumps and to provide compressed air to refloat vessels and would have ended up being used by port parties along the coast until surplus to requirements.

I have some other photos of my Grandfathers RN vehicles and will post them shortly with some comments on the photos in this thread.

Regard Stephen

Last edited by illgato; 21-03-10 at 23:24.
Old 16-03-10, 23:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by illgato View Post
Would have landed D+1 or 2.
Here is the only official mention I have ever found about MLRUs (it refers to ONLY 3&4).
Thanks Stephen,

That is more information than I have found in 30 years, I will pass this on to the new owner.

Once again, thank you.

Richard

Old 17-03-10, 23:58
MVT Member 11001

Default RN vehicles

Stephen,

I look forward to seeing your grandfathers photos too!