MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 25-07-09, 22:33

Default tactical markings

hello everyone.

1970 cdn 3 106 and 50 cal,equipped, looking for Canadian army 1970 Infantry Battalion Anti tank , tactical markings to compete military project. .I am not familiar with all the different sections of the army ,so please excuse the presention.

thank you

mark,
Old 31-07-09, 21:42
MUTT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_teck View Post
hello everyone.

1970 cdn 3 106 and 50 cal,equipped, looking for Canadian army 1970 Infantry Battalion Anti tank , tactical markings to compete military project. .I am not familiar with all the different sections of the army ,so please excuse the presention.

thank you

mark,
Post up a picture. I've never seen a .50 Cal HMG mounted on anything smaller than Lynx. I'd be interested to see it, especially with a 106mm RR.

As for the markings, do you know your CFR?
Old 07-08-09, 03:38

Default tactical markings.

HI there

Sorry for the delay, the CFR is 71-09038 As for the pic I will send one up as soon as I get someone to help me mount it on the Jeep.
Old 07-08-09, 10:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by armybuck041 View Post
Post up a picture. I've never seen a .50 Cal HMG mounted on anything smaller than Lynx. I'd be interested to see it, especially with a 106mm RR.
The 106 has a .50 cal spotting/ranging gun attached on top of it and bore sighted to the main gun. It fired an observing round which you fired first, when it hit the target it would flash and then you would fire the 106 and hit your target. I am assuming that is the .50 being referred to.

Craig Tanner
Burton N.B.
Old 07-08-09, 11:02

Here are a couple of photos from the one at the CFB Gagetown museum. Not the best but...
Attached Thumbnails
20090807_9.jpg   20090807_10.jpg  
Old 07-08-09, 14:17
MUTT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Tanner View Post
The 106 has a .50 cal spotting/ranging gun attached on top of it and bore sighted to the main gun. It fired an observing round which you fired first, when it hit the target it would flash and then you would fire the 106 and hit your target. I am assuming that is the .50 being referred to.

Craig Tanner
Burton N.B.
That little detail jumped into my brain housing group after the post

With Regards to the Jeep. The CFR/ECC confirms its a 106RR Jeep.

It came from the Les Fusiliers de Sherbrooke.

Heres a bit of info on the Unit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Fus..._de_Sherbrooke

This is a link to diagrams showing NATO Tac Signs:

http://navy.ca/wiki/index.php/NATO_Map_Symbols

Basically, what you have is an "Anti-Armour Platoon" Vehicle. So if you look at the chart, its the usual Rectangle with the Triangle in it, with 3 Dots on top noting that its from a Platoon Sized Organization.

This site has some good examples of markings, but I can't find an Anti-Armour one specifically:

http://www.armouredacorn.com/cvm.html

I don't know what the correct abbrieviation is for the Sherbrooke Fusiliers and what Brigade it belonged to at that time, but hopefully someone else can chime in, as you'll need that info as well.

Scotty
Old 07-08-09, 21:54

Default M38A1CDN3 with M40A2 Recoilless Rifle

Here are some images of the M38A1CDN3 with M40A2 Recoilless Rifle, the M40A2 has a M8C .50 cal Spotting Rifle. The M8C fires a M48A2 .50 cal Spotting Round has the same ballistic properties as the 106mm (really 105mm)ammunition fired by the M40A2. The M48A2 is shorter than your standard .50 cal Cartridge and flashes when it hits the target; at which time the M40A2 gunner fires the main armament.

Here is the NATO Tactical sign that was used by the Brockville Rifles in the early 1980s when they were using the M40A2.

Old 07-08-09, 22:19

Default tactical signs.

hey guys thanks for the input.

anything will be well appreciated

I have tried to call the adjudant of Fussiers de sherbrooke,but nobody has called back yet.

thank you
mark.
Old 07-08-09, 22:30

Default tactical signs.

hey guys thanks for the input.

anything will be well appreciated

I have tried to call the adjudant of Fussiers de sherbrooke,but nobody has called back yet.

thank you
mark.
Old 09-08-09, 05:05
M38A1 CDN3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_teck View Post
HI there

Sorry for the delay, the CFR is 71-09038 As for the pic I will send one up as soon as I get someone to help me mount it on the Jeep.
Well, I'll be damned...My CFR is 71-09048, just 10 #s above. How about that!
Old 10-08-09, 04:14
Terry Warner

Default 106 RCL Jeeps

I was in the Sherbrooke Hussars about the same time as your Jeep was in service with the "other regiment" in Sherbrooke. I have no pictures of their vehicles, but can put questions of markings, paint and other such things into perspective.

The proper paint is three-colour drab paint. At some point my unit was ordered to change from semi-gloss dark green to the paint scheme as shown in the diagrams in the camouflage and concealment CFP. So, we wheedled some extra man-days pay and armed ourselves with chalk, gallon cans of paint and the book. The Sergeant or Master Corporal in charge chalked on the lines, and we lowly Troopers and Corporals brush painted in between. The hard edges on our Jeeps were perfectly legitimate. After a while any vehicles that came back to the unit following body work at 55 Service Battalion in St-Hubert, had spray painted camouflage with soft edges.

The markings were applied with equal authority. Someone read the map marking symbol pub, or referred to his last course notes. Squares, crossed bandoliers, bars and letters as required. They may have been done freehand with a small brush or spray painted with a stencil. I don't quite remember. BUT ... we kept cycling through our vehicles and there was no point in putting troop or squadron markings since they never went back to the same driver or troop. Twp license plates and the CFR repeated in sticky decals on the windshield frame would be the most permanent markings. Some vehicles would have had the big Mobile Command arrows sticker and a Canadian flag sticker, but those things were stolen too easily from Transport and applied to aluminum folding clipboards ....

That was the recce unit. The infantry took a slightly less "consumer" view of their vehicles. They never had many in the first place, so damaging or wrecking them was punished harder. I suppose their markings would have been the same. The Brigade structure of today is a new imposition. We were lumped into anonymous districts as I recall. The correct abbreviation for les Fusiliers de Sherbrooke is FUS DE SHER.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 21-08-09, 03:44

Default tactical markings

thank you gentlemen

mark