MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Parts/Sources/Prices

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 28-12-18, 10:25
Beau Bruce Beau Bruce is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Young, New South Wales, Australia
Posts: 22
Default NOS Cab 13 windshield glass dimensions

Just for reference for anyone who is looking to replace their windshield glass in the 13 cab (both Chev and Ford I believe), I just measured up some NOS glass that I'm putting into my Chev. Dimensions are as follows:

TOP: 760mm
BOTTOM: 758mm
SHORT SIDE: 335mm
LONG SIDE: 377mm
__________________
1943 Chevrolet C60L Ex RAAF crash tender Cab 13 (On the road but forever under restoration)



Just a young kid in an old guys game
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 28-12-18, 15:41
Bruce Parker Bruce Parker is offline
GM Fox I
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: SW Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,793
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Bruce View Post
Just for reference for anyone who is looking to replace their windshield glass in the 13 cab (both Chev and Ford I believe), I just measured up some NOS glass that I'm putting into my Chev. Dimensions are as follows:

TOP: 760mm
BOTTOM: 758mm
SHORT SIDE: 335mm
LONG SIDE: 377mm
Thanks for that. I suppose it goes without saying that the top two angles are 90 degrees and the lower outer (long) side is less than, and the lower inner (short) side is more than 90 degrees.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 28-12-18, 18:12
Phil Waterman's Avatar
Phil Waterman Phil Waterman is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Temple, New Hampshire, USA
Posts: 3,699
Default For future resource how thick

Hi Beau

Just for the person looking at this thread 10 years from now. How thick is the glass?

This type of information is just so much help for further restorations. I've saved one of the original windshield glass panel which I replaced years ago for future reference. When it is a little warmer I'll have to pull it out and measure it to add to the information you have just added to the MLU information base.

Thanks.

Cheers Phil
__________________
Phil Waterman
`41 C60L Pattern 12
`42 C60S Radio Pattern 13
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 28-12-18, 23:17
Tony Smith's Avatar
Tony Smith Tony Smith is offline
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Lithgow, NSW, Australia
Posts: 4,272
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Parker View Post
Thanks for that. I suppose it goes without saying that the top two angles are 90 degrees....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Waterman
I've saved one of the original windshield glass panel which I replaced years ago for future reference. When it is a little warmer I'll have to pull it out and measure it to add to the information you have just added...
Perhaps in addition to confirming the 90deg angles, diagonal measurements would help?
__________________
You can help Keep Mapleleafup Up! See Here how you can help, and why you should!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 28-12-18, 23:24
Bruce Parker Bruce Parker is offline
GM Fox I
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: SW Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,793
Default

And...does the NOS original still have a slightly greenish tint (not for sun screen, but just because of how it was made)? I expect so as clear glass seems to be a newer thing.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 29-12-18, 04:19
chris vickery's Avatar
chris vickery chris vickery is offline
3RD ECHELON WKSP
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nipissing Ontario Canada
Posts: 2,697
Default

Tempered construction glass has the greenish tint still
__________________
3RD Echelon Wksp

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1958 M274 Mule 2cyl (4cyl engine waiting for transplant!)
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV
1971 M35A2

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

MLU, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers, FMVA
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 29-12-18, 11:33
Beau Bruce Beau Bruce is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Young, New South Wales, Australia
Posts: 22
Default

I will get thickness, diagonal measurements and will try and get exact angles as well tomorrow. Good thing I didnít finish putting the last one in today...
__________________
1943 Chevrolet C60L Ex RAAF crash tender Cab 13 (On the road but forever under restoration)



Just a young kid in an old guys game
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 30-12-18, 06:31
Beau Bruce Beau Bruce is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Young, New South Wales, Australia
Posts: 22
Default Additional information as requested

Ok, so bear with me here in my explaining and if you donít understand something Iíll try and reexplain it but here we go...

Glass thickness is 7mm

From the top of the short side to the bottom of the long side is 845mm, from the bottom of the short side to the top of the long side is 828mm

Both top corners are 90 degrees as previously stated.

Now for the tricky bit so someone correct me if Iím wrong here but I believe Iím correct. I flipped the glass pane upside down on a level surface, then using some fancy protractor the old man had in the shed that uses gravity to measure its angles, a 5 degree downward (or upward depending which way you look at it I guess) slope.
So I believe that the long side bottom angle (smaller angle of the two) is 85 degrees and the short side bottom angle (larger angle of the two) is 95 degrees.

And as too the greenish tint, there is a slightly greenish shade to it looking through the pane but looking side on to the pane (looking at the thickness of the pane if you will) is definitely a greenish-aqua colour.

Sorry for the long winded explaination but I hope this answers anyoneís questions reguarding the windscreen glass, as itís about to be put back together.
__________________
1943 Chevrolet C60L Ex RAAF crash tender Cab 13 (On the road but forever under restoration)



Just a young kid in an old guys game
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 30-12-18, 14:50
Bruce Parker Bruce Parker is offline
GM Fox I
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: SW Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,793
Default

Something's not right. The bottom side should be slightly longer than the top being a 'slope', but only by about 1mm. If the 760mm is right, mathematically the bottom should be 761mm. Maybe some rounding due to polishing?

If you subtract the short side from the long (ie. 377mm-335mm 42mm) and make a triangle with sides of 760mm (width) and 42mm (tall) the angles work out to 86.83 degrees (lower, outer angle) and 3.16 degrees (which plus 90 degrees makes the lower, inner angle 93.16 degrees. But who cares so long as the top 760 and 377/335 sides are right with 90 degree top corners.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Bruce View Post
Ok, so bear with me here in my explaining and if you donít understand something Iíll try and reexplain it but here we go...

Glass thickness is 7mm

From the top of the short side to the bottom of the long side is 845mm, from the bottom of the short side to the top of the long side is 828mm

Both top corners are 90 degrees as previously stated.

Now for the tricky bit so someone correct me if Iím wrong here but I believe Iím correct. I flipped the glass pane upside down on a level surface, then using some fancy protractor the old man had in the shed that uses gravity to measure its angles, a 5 degree downward (or upward depending which way you look at it I guess) slope.
So I believe that the long side bottom angle (smaller angle of the two) is 85 degrees and the short side bottom angle (larger angle of the two) is 95 degrees.

And as too the greenish tint, there is a slightly greenish shade to it looking through the pane but looking side on to the pane (looking at the thickness of the pane if you will) is definitely a greenish-aqua colour.

Sorry for the long winded explaination but I hope this answers anyoneís questions reguarding the windscreen glass, as itís about to be put back together.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTF - Anyone got an M151A2 windshield glass? maple_leaf_eh Post-war Military Vehicles 6 13-09-17 22:59
For Sale: M38 Windshield Glass for sale Sean Dunnage For Sale Or Wanted 0 29-01-17 17:03
glass for windshields JRRDixon The Softskin Forum 8 06-04-16 19:12
Cab13 windshield glass Jordan Baker The Restoration Forum 1 08-07-15 06:42
For sale MB-GPW Windshield glass Marc Belanger The Softskin Forum 0 08-12-06 22:32


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © Maple Leaf Up, 2003-2016