MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 03-12-12, 22:06

Default Reverse Trigger Return Spring

I've had a batch of these springs remade for the bedford i'm restoring. I believe it is the same part on canadian and US chev's.

It fits under the reverse trigger as shown in the picture below item 76.

£18 for the spring and the rivet that needs to be removed, including postage to anywhere in europe. P.M. me for details.

Last edited by John A. Rippingham; 03-12-12 at 22:49.
Old 03-12-12, 22:32

It looks very much like the Chev one. They are often broken and would obviously be difficult to duplicate.. Good job, hope you sell a few to cover your costs. They were supplied as a spare part and I was lucky enough to score a few. Now, if only I could find them.

David
Old 03-12-12, 22:47

Thanks david, i need to sell a few to cover my costs, i had 100 made!!! It was the only way to get them at a reasonable price. Knowing my luck someone will have a box full of NOS!!!

We did have a sourse of them over here, but when i wanted one they had all gone.

Would be handy to know if any other vehicles used them? If you recognise it please let me know.
Old 04-12-12, 02:41

Default Grant / Rob.....

Should we get some for the barn and save on shipping...? assuming they fit the Chev...?

Bob
Canada
Old 04-12-12, 05:35

Thumbs up Cost....

John.....how much do you need for 2 of them. I live in Vancouver Canada and I have no idea where Stockport is! UK....I'm assuming. And like Bob asks....do they fit a Chev? Post a price for all and we'll go from there. Cheers.....Robert
Old 04-12-12, 15:45

Some parts of the Bedford R series and Chevrolet CMP shift mechanisim shar part numbers. I was not able to match the part numbers for the spring shown (assuming it is R series) and the CMP equivalent. To help, the Chev CMP part number is 590388 "Spring, Gearshift ReverseLatch Finger Lever" and it is listed as fitting 8cwt to 60 cwt (including C60X). The same part number also fits commercial Chevrolet 4 speed transmissions 1929-1947 (at least 1947, maybe later - that is the end of my Master Parts book). Do you have the part number from your Bedford listing to confirm if it is the same part?

Google suggests NSN 5340-00-737-7036 may be equivalent.

Apparently the spring was available from GM as late as 1967 (for $0.15) http://www.antechlabs.com/K0GFM/68Parts/Parts-Gp4.pdf

One online vendor (at least) still lists the spring, but as "inquire for price and availability" so I suspect they are getting harder (or maybe impossible) to find in stock.
Old 04-12-12, 17:21

Hello,

I had these made for my MW, they fit alll the wartime bedfords, and the prewar bedfords too. I have been told by a friend who has several cmp's and a bedford mw they are the same, on chevys and fords.

The bedford part number is 590383, very close to yours, the rest of the parts for the trigger have sequencial numbers but there is no 590388 on the bedford parts list, can you check your number again please.

Can you put a photo of your gear lever on here, should be able to see from that.

I know when i've had a close look at the cmp's the gearbox looks exactly the same. In fact a couple of weeks back a canadian chap i know had a look at the my truck, he took one look at the engine and said chevy 216!!!

Discount for multipul purchases how many do you want?

Rob, yes stockport is in the uk. For two with postage, £30, the price will come down the more you have. Did you want a price for all one hundred?

Thanks
John

Last edited by John A. Rippingham; 04-12-12 at 17:39.
Old 04-12-12, 17:39

Now I'm puzzled - The Chev CMP manual also lists 590383 as a spring - "Spring , Gearshift Lever" - located near the base of the lever. I believe 590383 is the spring shown as #69 on your diagram.

590388 is one of the part numbers common to both Ford and Chev CMPs but on the Fords it is only listed for 30cwt and above. The Ford number for the spring is given as C01Q-7966.

The barn Bob refers to is his "Hammond Barn" http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=17780 that he is kind enough to share with Rob and myself.
Old 04-12-12, 18:33

Hello grant,

Sorry my mistake, i'm looking at the wrong spring.

The part number for the Spring reverse trigger finger lever 1030229.
The other parts of the the lever have similar numbers to yours, the reverse trigger lever is part number 590389, if its the same trigger i think it'll be the same part. As the spring hooks onto the lever and pivots around the rivet through the lever, and them the long hoop sits against the gearstick.

In fact apart from the, ROD reverse trigger, the rest of the gear lever parts are 590*** numbers in the bedford book.

Thanks
John