MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14-02-06, 09:24

Default Morris-Commercial C8/GT at Arnhem

Hello All,

I have for several years tried to get information about the Morris-Commercial C8/GT used during the Arnhem campaign. A lot of information has been collected but much off it are contradictory and it’s hard to know what is right or wrong...

Questions have been asked in several forum and but this is the first time here. Now I hope someone have facts about the Morris-Commercial C8/GT and can add me more information...

However, all information and/or debate in the subject are appreciated...I have never seen a more “anonymous” vehicle then this one…

...and, please don’t hesitate to contact me with all kinds of information in the subject of the C8/GT and what it did in Arnhem…all information are appreciated...

Best Regards, Stefan

- "Morris-Commercial" is the manufacturer...

- "C" gives type of chassis...
o Comment:
...what were the characteristics for this chasse..??

- "8" gives the wheelbase of the chassis, 99 in.
o Comment:
..."9" is 117 in. or more...

- "GT" stand for "Gun Tractor"...
o Comment:
..or should it be AT for “Artillery Tractor”..??

- There was no "new built" C8/GT then they was all rebuild from the C8/P Predictor and the C8/AT Portee...
o Comment:
…????

- All information about the C8/GT says it has 10.5x16 in. tyres on 6.5x16 in. rims...
o Comment:
...this is the major question…10.5x20 in. tyres on 6.5x20 rims can be seen on pictures too...

- Some information about the C8/P Predictor and the C8/AT Portee says that the Mk.II version of the chassis had 10.5x20 in. tyres on 6.5x20 rims...
o Comment:
...then all C8/GT was, as stated above, rebuilt from C8/P and the C8/AT (on Mk.III chassis) there must be some C8/AT with 10.5x20 in. tyres on 6.5x20 rims..??

-On the C8/AT represented in Arnhem had they a “full hood (bonnet)” or was it “cut” on the left side..??
o Comment:
..I have seen pictures of both models stated as C8/GT…

- Some pictures on the net show a C8/GT being loaded into a glider. It has a wooden body with a Pegasus painting. All other pictures show sheet metal bodies.
o Comment:
...was there a mix of bodies made of wood or sheet metal..??
...mean this pictures that the C8/GT always got the bodies removed during loading..??

- Which type of C8/GT was used in Arnhem..??