MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 16-08-04, 04:22
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Default Recommended reading

I've just finished The Path to Victory: The Mediterranean Theater in World War II , a good read for anyone looking for the big picture of the theater, although Canadian participation is by minor reference in the grand strategic overview.

I did have one quibble with the author, which I emailed him about and he was gracious in his reply - I had pointed out that the use of LVTs by Gen. McCreery in Italy in April '45 was not unprecedented in Europe, as one might have inferred from his account, because Canadians had used them in Oct '44 in the Breskens Pocket. He replied he had not known that fact, thanked me for the information, and admitted it was likely McCreery had known of the Breskens operation.

He said Canadians seem to be quite sensitive to slights on their achievenment in WWII, and cited Monty's high regard for Canadian troops. Good thing I didn't rag on him for the complete omission of any reference to Ortona!

Aside from that, and the too-small maps (he says he was jerked around by the publisher on that point), the book is an excellent treatise, with some interesting points to make, such as deeming Rommel's reputation over-inflated

Look here:
http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASI...290449-7040047
Old 17-08-04, 00:15

Default Here! Here!!

I am currently reading this massive work and thoroughly concur with your opinion. Porch seems to have left to stone unturned. I am not, however, pleased to be reminded of my age. We are far enough away from all this that has truly become history and not mythology. When someone says, "Erwin Rommel was the wrong man for North Africa," it can make the teeth of someone who grew up with images created by Desmond Young and James Mason hurt. I just finished the chapter on El Alamein so I may wince when I get to Operation Torch. Maybe not. My opinion of Patton was shaped by my father's, who told me stories about him as an LtC in Hawaii in the 1930's. Certainly no "Roaring George" then.

My age also makes me wish that the print was larger but we won't go there just yet . . . .

Bob