MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 18-04-04, 02:31
RIP

Default MV Insurance

Cant insure my carrier as a motor vehicle antique or not because it is not licensed.Coverage is excluded under my house policy. Can insure under separate policy forabout $2500 per year (for one or two parades per year).Perhaps its time the hobby found an insurer ready to take on this special area. Any thoughts or experiences--Greg
Old 19-04-04, 11:08
MLU Administrator

Default unlicensed vehicles

Greg, a guy here in Holland insured his M18 Hellcat Gun Motor Carriage as a "tracked crane" :
Maybe you could ask your insurer how farmers, contractors, etc. who operate unlicensed vehicles insure them?

H.
Old 23-09-04, 17:26
M38A1 CDN3

Default Re: MV Insurance

Quote:
Originally posted by greg anderson
Cant insure my carrier as a motor vehicle antique or not because it is not licensed.Coverage is excluded under my house policy. Can insure under separate policy forabout $2500 per year (for one or two parades per year).Perhaps its time the hobby found an insurer ready to take on this special area. Any thoughts or experiences--Greg
Greg:

I know that this is a fairly old thread, but have you heard of or tried the following broker?...

Lant & Co Insce Brokers, 1-800-461-4099, based in Stouffville.

They specialize solely in historic and antique vehicles. I just insured my '44 Chev CMP with them for $122.00 per year.

You might also touch bases with Stewart Loy who, as you probably know, drives a MkII* carrier.
Old 24-09-04, 02:41
GM Fox I

Default A vehicle she ain't...

...as far as the insurance companies are concerned. I tried Lant as they insure other antique vehicles I have. They won't touch my carrier as it isn't a 'motor vehicle' as far as they're concerned. I had it insured as a piece of construction equipment. First year was $750; the next went up to $1500 and as Gregg has found, it's gone up since then. When I tried to insure it under my home policy, not only wouldn't they, but merely having it was reason to up my premiums as it was, in their reasoning, an "attractive nuisance". I think that means I'm more likely to be broken into as I have something that attracts little buggars. Bottom line, I can insure anything with a license plate, or a 4 wheeler, a lawn tractor or a boat, but not a carrier. For the few off-property events, I rely on the insurance of the event organizer. I only hope nobody breaks into my garage, hit's their head on it and sues me.
Old 24-09-04, 21:22
T-16, C15A

Default Re: A vehicle she ain't...

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Parker
[B I only hope nobody breaks into my garage, hit's their head on it and sues me. [/B]
Bruce,

Your experience mirrors my own. I rely on the event organizers to supply insurance - knowing that they probably don'y have any for parades at Legions, etc.

As Charlie knows - the damage to the Carrier will be slight - the damage to the wanker of the ATV will be greater.

Insurance aside, I like parades and enjoy standing around the Carrier, so I will continue to do just that.

Stewart
Old 25-09-04, 03:57
RIP

What is needed is insurance to defend and pay damages to third parties which may arise from my operation of my carrier.A Lant rep. advised me that they do not insure tracked vehicles and farm or industrial type coverage is inappropiate and expensive if available.--The Coe Hill event was sponsored by the township which set up a sub committee under its recreation program consisting of the Reeve,Dan McCaw and yours truly.The township insurer specifically insured the event with qualification and in particular insured the operators of the Sherman,the Chaffee,the Sheridan and the Lynx --but not my carrier. An insurance policy covers the policy owner,named or described individuals or others entitled to protection by statutory provision and beyond that you should not rely on someone elses policy For instance I have a residential policy which protects me for some events which may occur on my property but it does nothing for you if you injure a third party on my land ---I stand to be corrected but I doubt if OMVA has insurance protection for its members at these events--such insurance being very expensive and hard to come by.Carrier owners such as myself will cross their fingers and be very careful