MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 11-10-04, 01:47

Default Maple Leaf Up road signage.

How many good pics of original MLU road signage are out there? Post them here, I want to paint up a bunch this winter. Cheers Rob Fast Prairie Command
1943 FAT/ 17 pounder
1941 C15 GS 2B1
Old 11-10-04, 11:51
MLU Administrator

Good idea - here's a pic: http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net/maple_leaf_up.htm
Old 11-10-04, 21:45
Richard Notton

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
Good idea - here's a pic:
And another.

R.
Attached Images

Old 11-10-04, 23:04
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Richard

Be a good lad and remind us of the dimensions of said sign currently residing in the Ballard Military Vehicle Restoration Garage? Seems like an ideal size for either display purposes or actual signage at events.

Rob, the arrow in the white circle pointed in which ever direction the road took, ie, if there was [is] a right turn coming up, the sign before the turn would have the arrow pointing right. Etc. I expect you know that, though. My sign (which is our logo of course, since 1998) was hand-painted by Bruce Parker here in 1999, taken by me to Beltring in 2000, and now resides in Shirrell Heath as our representative at any UK shows attended by the Shirrell Heath LRDG.

Make a note of the type script in the picture Richard showed... this is not a stencil, and is unavailable as such -- it was copied from close study of several original photos. It must be done by hand, as were the originals.

Could you be persuaded/bought/bribed to add our URL onto your signs?

Incidently, I intend on commissioning more as well, as an organization here in Ontario has requested to use them for a parade and event next spring. I have endorsed their project.

Cheers,

Geoff
Old 12-10-04, 06:42
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Richard

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Be a good lad and remind us of the dimensions of said sign currently residing in the Ballard Military Vehicle Restoration Garage? Seems like an ideal size for either display purposes or actual signage at events.
Certainly, I'll do it later today; I doubt Ballard is up yet since its 05:09.

Looks like a job for the big vernier calipers or will a normal steel tape be adequate?

As I recall the actual maple leaf isn't that simple either, perhaps for safety I should take a digital close-up of that too. Easy enough as it has its own personal storage space with 4 wood screws holding it to the door.

The difficult bit is having the door open, now tis the season of falling brown leaves, I cannot do it from inside since its full of 1937 Bedford van and restored CDSW axles. Rory and I have had the first Ballard lecture of the season about how all the leaves queue up outside the door, waiting to rush in the minute its opened. I believe this prompted young Ballard to call him an effing wingeing old geriatric fart and a Johnny w-ankh stain during one interchange, especially after the 10" high anti-leaf board had appeared across the threshold behind said door and both of us had gone head first over it several times.

In fact this episode may well have been recorded for posterity, I think Mike K has it on video tape and I understand caused some mirth at his antipodean MV club.

I'll do my best.

R.
Old 12-10-04, 16:23

Default Re: Re: Re: Richard

Quote:
Originally posted by FV623
Looks like a job for the big vernier calipers or will a normal steel tape be adequate?
Steel tape is fine, Milud, ours is an approximation based upon estimated and averaged dimensions seen on a number of similar signs in piccies.

Quote:
As I recall the actual maple leaf isn't that simple either, perhaps for safety I should take a digital close-up of that too.
No, it's not the simplistic leaf of modern day, but the intricate (31-point?) leaf of yesteryear. Perhaps someone (Bruce?) can clarify, as I've just had a BF regarding the actual number.

Quote:
Rory and I have had the first Ballard lecture of the season about how all the leaves queue up outside the door, waiting to rush in the minute its opened. I believe this prompted young Ballard to call him an effing wingeing old geriatric fart and a Johnny w-ankh stain during one interchange, especially after the 10" high anti-leaf board had appeared across the threshold behind said door and both of us had gone head first over it several times.
Now THAT makes me laugh! I can well imagine the exchange, having heard several similar to it during the time I was there. The tones of voice remain locked in my consciousness. It would be classic to record, as indicated below...

Quote:
In fact this episode may well have been recorded for posterity, I think Mike K has it on video tape and I understand caused some mirth at his antipodean MV club.
This is truly a gem which MUST be preserved, sir!

G.
Old 12-10-04, 20:47
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Richard

Quote:
Steel tape is fine, Milud, ours is an approximation based upon estimated and averaged dimensions seen on a number of similar signs in piccies.
Roger.
I did intend to do that today but "other" things have stolen the time and its now too late, too dark and truly a wet and miserable night.
Quote:
No, it's not the simplistic leaf of modern day, but the intricate (31-point?) leaf of yesteryear. Perhaps someone (Bruce?) can clarify, as I've just had a BF regarding the actual number.
I had packed the digital camerapicckennschnappenngerät in the car but as above. I'll do one of the leaf itself as a complete frame.
Quote:
Now THAT makes me laugh! I can well imagine the exchange, having heard several similar to it during the time I was there. The tones of voice remain locked in my consciousness. It would be classic to record, as indicated below...
I usually get the blame though as apparently I create "the silly mood" in young Ballard that leads to these exchanges. Funny it is though.

However, just between you and me, Ballard snr hasn't quite worked out, but is slightly suspicious, how a single brown leaf sometimes appears in the far recesses of the workshop like behind the ply sliding window covers, on the lathe bed, on the mill table, on the drill press and a maple leaf lodged by the stem in the door hinge of a certain DTB F15.
Quote:
This is truly a gem which MUST be preserved, sir!
I have it on a C form cassette from the borrowed camera and the real VHS copy we have entrusted to Mike K. I believe too on this piece of media Ballard is recorded in true style doing a trouser cough impression of the Ford second gear engagement, which I'm sure is instantly recognisable to the Ford buffs here.

R.
Old 12-10-04, 21:03

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Richard

Quote:
I usually get the blame though as apparently I create "the silly mood" in young Ballard that leads to these exchanges. Funny it is though.

However, just between you and me, Ballard snr hasn't quite worked out, but is slightly suspicious, how a single brown leaf sometimes appears in the far recesses of the workshop like behind the ply sliding window covers, on the lathe bed, on the mill table, on the drill press and a maple leaf lodged by the stem in the door hinge of a certain DTB F15.
Sounds like extraordinarily entertaining sport on both counts, and I can just hear that rising, slightly suspicious tone which Ballard Snr has perfected...
Old 13-10-04, 00:34
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Trouser cough

Quote:
I believe too on this piece of media Ballard is recorded in true style doing a trouser cough impression of the Ford second gear engagement, which I'm sure is instantly recognisable to the Ford buffs here.

R.
LMAO!
It does sound like that, too! Perhaps I could edit a segment on gear changing (like the one in Year of the Studebaker) but substitute said cough for second gear change.
If you haven't seen the segment of Mark Sierant trying to destroy a US6 gearbox you need to get the DVD! You'll laugh yourself sick.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 13-10-04, 20:56
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Richard

Quote:
This is the best I can do, the close-up of the maple leaf will follow as its not given to me to make multi-image single postings.

Of note, the arrow is just a right angle but extending the end faces of the arrow head defines the corners of the shaft as it were.

A, B And C are all 2.25"

D ~ 8.5625"

E ~ ø8.375"

F ~ 30.125"

G ~ 5.0625 (all letter heights same)

H ~ 30.125"

R.
Attached Images

Old 13-10-04, 23:40
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Richard

Quote:
Arrrrrgh, I knew I was supposed to be doing something hours ago, let me suck the leaf from the flash card and squeeze it down for MLU digestion.

R.
Attached Thumbnails
maple leaf.jpg  
Old 14-10-04, 00:06
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Re: Richard

Quote:
Rory and I have had the first Ballard lecture of the season about how all the leaves queue up outside the door, waiting to rush in the minute its opened.
See? See? I told you, sneaked down the garden mit digitalcameragerät and here's Ballard snr on leaf patrol.

For the Constance Babbington-Smiths amongst you, it is noted that the leaf uprising swept away to the right is being sneakily replaced by the insurgents sneaking around the back of the leaf patrol sweeper, just waiting to rush in they are.

Oh, and that's reminded me, we still have the restrictive, catch in everything boiler-suit in winter moans to come, I can recite it off pat. . . . . . . . . .

Oh, and while I'm at it, pretty useless kuntstoff the Aussies use for road signs, all the corners falling off; might stand the continuous Oz sun but can't stand up to the intermittent Lucas sun we have here interspersed with wind and rain; cracking up already and its a hand-carried genuine Oz one too.

Though, wait a minute. . . . . . . . :idea:

Maybe perhaps it doesn't like being upside down here; never thought of that.

R.
Attached Thumbnails
leaf patrol.jpg