MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 06-03-06, 23:21

Default British/Canadian Tank Crews wearing Mk.II Goggles?

RE: British/Canadian Tank Crews wearing Mk.II Goggles?

Does anyone have information or archival photos involving WW2 British/Candian Tank Crews wearing Mk.II Goggles?

In British Army Uniforms & Insignia of WWII by Brian L. Davis, there are references of both Armoured and Mechanized units wearing the goggles. Yet, in much of the photographic archives I have come across, these goggles appear to have been most popular amongst soldiers fighting in the Desert.

Then I searched on Google Images and came across a photo of the Mk.IIs stored in a case marked "Air Ministry" [RAF].

Ultimately, what is the deal with these Mk.II goggles???

I look forward to your replies,

David R. Clark
Old 08-03-06, 15:39

David

Attached is a picture showing the two standard types of AFV goggles worn by British troops during the war. The early type are the D shaped ones. Quite if these can be described as Mk1 and Mk11 I do not know.

The Canadian Army purchased the American moulded rubber pattern.
Attached Thumbnails
googles.jpg  
Old 08-03-06, 17:54
Marco Hogenkamp

Hello David,

I'm not an expert on goggles at all but I found this photo from a 12th Manitoba Dragoon captain clearly showing the goggles he used.

Marco
Attached Thumbnails
goggles.jpg  
Old 08-03-06, 19:54

Quote:
Originally posted by marco
I'm not an expert on goggles at all but I found this photo from a 12th Manitoba Dragoon captain clearly showing the goggles he used.

Marco,

The gogles the Captain is wearing look like Mk8 flying goggles used by the RAF, probably a prized item as they have larger and angled lenses for more all round vision. These were favourite with motorcyclists postwar, ex.govt surplus.

Richard
Old 08-03-06, 20:17

Quote:
Originally posted by Neil Ashley
Attached is a picture showing the two standard types of AFV goggles worn by British troops during the war. The early type are the D shaped ones.
Neil,

I have both of those types of goggles. The upper ones were bought from a govt surplus store many years ago and are folded over in a stought brown card box. A soldier's army number is written on the strap and is for someone serving in "Cavalry of the Line". According to Brian Davis's book, they are MT goggles.

The lower ones that I have, are fitted with yellow tinted lenses, the fur and cloth surround is a pale blue and I think they are probably early flying goggles. I have just done a quick Google search for goggles (!) and found that the lower ones are in fact an early RAF item, "Goggles,Flying, Type Mk2" and introduced in 1928.
Take a look at this;
www.wing.chez-alice.fr/RAF/RAF_headgear.html

Richard
Old 08-03-06, 20:24

Hmmm.....

That link is not working, try looking up "goggles mk2" in a Google search and click on "cached" it should come up then.

Richard
Old 09-03-06, 09:02

Richard

I can guarentee that both types of these goggles were used by AFV and MT crew-man. Both types normaly have rabbit fur sealing pieces, and both types come in tinted and plain versions. Also as already stated, the D shaped ones are the early pattern being seen in use as early as 1940 in France, and the other pattern are the most common in N. W. Europe.

The material from which the side pieces are made can vary including a leather like material, but these are the two standard patterns for the British Army between 1939-45.
Old 10-03-06, 05:22
Son of Kangaroo Trooper

Default Goggles in action...

I have photos taken of troopers of the 1st Canadian Armoured Carrier regiment, taken on the same day, Oct 28, 1944 in Tilburg, Holland showing the two types of googles pictured in this thread. I have no idea what "Mark" these are.

I also own a pair of used goggles from the estate of 1CACR veteran John Ewing also pictured (sorry the quality isn't better). He was in both the South Alberta Regiment and the Kangaroos.

These goggles however do not have fur edging but a soft moulded rubber. I have seen quite a few photos of troopers and DR's wearing this type of goggle.
There is a pair just like mine (but in somewhat better shape) for sale, labeled as RCAF training goggles??, for sale on Ebay right now:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Early-Aviation-T...QQcmdZViewItem

Bill.
Attached Images

Old 10-03-06, 08:55

Bill

The goggles featured in your bottom picture are the Canadian rubber pattern which I believe to be the same as the US pattern.

Another picture.
Attached Thumbnails
goggles.jpg  
Old 12-03-06, 21:56
RIP

Default Maybe Hanno can help here!!

If you guys check out the "Liberatio of Holland" photo,previously featured by our good friend Hanno for me in a previous thread,there's a good picture of me old man astride a motor cycle wearing the American rubberizd pattern round goggles on his helme in 1945
Old 12-03-06, 22:25
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Maybe Hanno can help here!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Shipton
If you guys check out the "Liberatio of Holland" photo,previously featured by our good friend Hanno for me in a previous thread,there's a good picture of me old man astride a motor cycle wearing the American rubberizd pattern round goggles on his helme in 1945
See Thanks MLU/Hanno-Soldier Identified!!

H.