MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 05-10-04, 08:54
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Bloody Marvelous, isn't it?

It's 0250 here in Ontario (Karmen is an hour behind in Manitoba)... in Aussieland it's late day tomorrow, morning today in England and Europe. All but Karmen and I are from the far reaches of this planet (and some I suspect are not even FROM this planet! )

And we're all here in one place, at one time.

Some days these 51 year-old bones can't quite fathom this miracle...
Old 05-10-04, 10:11

Default Good morning....

... afternoon / evening / night, then

That'll be why Sean up there in the NWT always sounds tired, will it?
Old 05-10-04, 19:56
Vets Dottir

Default radio/tv/phone

I still can't comprehend radio, TV, and telephone and electricity period

Yes ... this is all mind-boggling and awesome ... and what an incredible bridge between differences. The world is smaller ... and more capable of working "together" ... teamwork would be a nice change hey?

Meanwhile ... this is awesome!

Karmen
Old 05-10-04, 20:08

Default Re: Good morning....

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon
That'll be why Sean up there in the NWT always sounds tired, will it?
No, that's for another reason altogether, but we shant get into that at the moment...
Old 05-10-04, 20:51

Default Nappies?

:
Old 05-10-04, 22:44
RIP

Default Speaking about Karmen!!

GWB-you were in Winterpeg!!Did you see the Frying Pan Queen??WE've had no report.OR,did you get bonged with the weapon???
Old 05-10-04, 22:47

Default Re: Speaking about Karmen!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Shipton
GWB-you were in Winterpeg!!Did you see the Frying Pan Queen??WE've had no report.OR,did you get bonged with the weapon???
Indeed I did Mr. Shipton, and no, I didn't get bonged...
Old 06-10-04, 08:27
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Default in Aussieland it's late day tomorrow

That's why so many CMP's were shipped to Australia, so they'd be preserved IN THE FUTURE!
Old 08-10-04, 08:59
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Speaking about Karmen!!

Quote:
Hi Garry ... c'mere ... The Frying Pan Queen has a frying pan just for yore fine self if you aren't nice to me.

BTW ... I just started a thread in Sargeants Mess about ... SUNRAY MEETS YAPPY ... because I just noticed there was no thread about this ... and I know how nosey ... oops ... I mean interested ... some of you are in hearing about this milestone event. I still can't believe I had the great honour of meeting Mr. MLU himself after all he has done for me and my Uncle ... good stuff.

Karmen
Old 09-10-04, 01:35
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Speaking about Karmen!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Indeed I did Mr. Shipton, and no, I didn't get bonged...
OH!! Bonged.
Do remind me to clean my spectacles, there's a good chap.

"I'm sorry, I'll read that again" - BBC news-reader.

R.
Old 09-10-04, 02:41

Clean your spectacles, Mr. Notton... I'm not entirely sure now, but I don't believe that's what Mr. Shipton was referring to, and certainly, my reference was to the forcible application of frying pans to the noggin...
Old 09-10-04, 03:26
Vets Dottir

Red face Yikes

Yikes ... notice I nicely avoided that too? Someone. )was it just yesterday or recently???) mentioned that when foxes bong it means something entirely different than beeing hit on the noggin ... I TOO had to wipe my computer screen and there was no need to rouge my red cheeks

SUNRAY AND GARRY ... INCOMING BILL FOR WINDEX AND PAPER TOWELS ... you shall both share the costs!

Ohmylawdinheaven.
Old 09-10-04, 05:36
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Bonking

Over here most people know the meaning of "bonking" but I also found this little excerpt from a Canadian website called "Prarie Inn Harriers" running club with yet another definition:

"John, "Haven't you ever heard of bonking"?

Bob, "Yes that's when someone like Steve Barr raps you on the head with a two by four".

John, "No it isn't. It is when long distance riders have used every ounce of energy and fuel in their bodies and they physically black out and fall off their bikes. Their whole system shuts down".

Bob, "This reinforces my theory on the I.Q. level of cycling for-fitness freaks".

John, "So you think that cycling is not helping my running"?

Bob, "Only running will help your running, John. Get your ass off the seat and pile on 50 more miles".

Nevertheless from John's enlightening description of bonking, I thought I would apply this principle to running. In 1990 while training for the Elk-Beaver 50 Miler, I experimented with bonking at the Garden City 10k. I had just completed a 144 mile training week and ran the Garden City the next day. Upon approaching the finish line I noticed the clock change to 33 minutes flat as I hit the last 200 metres of the race. At that point my legs went to jello, my head could not control my body and I collapsed in a heap of s--- on the road. After crawling the distance to the line to finish in 35:41, I had dropped from first master to ninth master in a matter of 1/2 lap of a track. Even Cynthia Reid jumped over me at the end to record a personal best of 35:39. Six days later I won the Elk-Beaver 50 mile race setting a course record of 6 hours 16 minutes. Bonking must of helped!

My second attempt at bonking came at the Jasper-Banff relay one month later. Call it lack of altitude training or low blood sugar or lack of beer the night before but something quite serious happened to me at the 15k mark of a 21 kilometre stage. My legs again went all rubbery and I started wobbling all over the road. My team mates could not drive the portion of this stage as it was restricted to runners only so I weaved and stumbled for 6K and finished 5 minutes slower than my predicted time. This picture was taken immediately after I handed off to Bob Cook at the end of stage 1 of the race. The Harriers did, however, win the masters division, finishing 6th overall in course record time. My bonking must have once again helped the team"

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 09-10-04, 05:47

Question

Why run when you can drive CMPs? Makes no bloody sense to me...

OTOH... the basic credo of the infantry:

Why run when you can walk, why walk when you can sit down, why sit when you can lie down.

The only differential was written by George MacDonald Fraser when he said 'You've never seen any light infantry move faster than a Highland Regiment in the attack'.

Presumably because their rum ration was at the other end of it...
Old 09-10-04, 08:54
Richard Notton

Quote:

Clean your spectacles, Mr. Notton... I'm not entirely sure now, but I don't believe that's what Mr. Shipton was referring to, and certainly, my reference was to the forcible application of frying pans to the noggin...
Indeed so, normal service was resumed as soon as possible.
It's quite amazing what a speck of dirt does for the letter "g".
Oh deary, deary me.

R.
Old 09-10-04, 20:28
RIP

Default Re: Getting bonged!!

Quote:
I have been reading the various threads on this topic,so have now decided to speak up.So,for those of you with lesser understanding of the expression,I suggest you try this little experiment.
1)Go to the kitchen & choose one of your wife's frying pans.
2)Stand in the middle of your kitchen,making sure there is a 6 foot radius around you ,free of furniture
3)Grasp pan handle & hold the pan with the bottom facing the back of your head,holding it about a foot or so away.
4)With all your strenght,using your right forearm,strike the back of your head with the bottom of the frying pan .
5)Listen for the sound of the bong hitting your head.
6)If,when you awake on the kitchen floor,you missed the sound,repeat steps 1) thru 4).
7)If ,after repeating steps 1) thru 4) a few times and you still have not heard the sound of the "Bong",DO NOT GET UP.This is IMPORTANT.
8)Raise your head,call to your wife,& ask,no, implore her to call 911 to get an ambulance quickly to your address.
10)Upon release from hospital,swallow your pride,and request that your wife help you with the experiment so you can hear the bong.We guarentee she will be most obliging to your request
Old 09-10-04, 20:54
Vets Dottir

Talking Garry!!!!

VERRA GOOD Master Garry ... but I don't HAVE a wife! NOR do I WANT one. Therefore... whatever shall do :

(say hi and give a scratch and a friendly 'arf' to the dear Great SHAD for me please? and thank you!)

Karmen the UN-BONGED SENDS
Old 09-10-04, 21:04
In Vino Veritas

Default Yawn...

...Huh, whos there? WHat...yawn yawn. Guess I'll sleep when I'm dead...hope that isn't too far away! My winter hibernation cycle has been interrupted by NMD...or NEW MOTHER'S DISEASE...so I may miss the more subtle reparte` on the forum, please try to be as gross and blatant as possible so that I may catch the gist of the conversation. 4800KM road trip completed successfully, Boy doing just fine, touch of thrush but caught early, Mom hyper but will adjust, dogs totally cool, cat keeps attacking afgan when Shamus squeaks because he can't figure out where the cat sounds are coming from.
Now on to the bonging of Geoff, hmmm, I thought a bong was illegal drug paraphernalia....
Sean
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 09-10-04, 21:37
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Getting bonged!!

Quote:
I have been reading the various threads on this topic,so have now decided to speak up.So,for those of you with lesser understanding of the expression,I suggest you try this little experiment.
1)Go to the kitchen & choose one of your wife's frying pans. . . . .
Ho ho ho ho ho, much mirth and jollification in the Shirrell Heath Sigs Office with wobbling of tum and vertical oscillation of shoulders.

Oh, incidentally 911 there, is 999 here, for a very good reason that used to be published in the front cover of every phone book.

Non-UK chaps may take a guess if so desired.

R.
Old 10-10-04, 17:54

Default Re: Yawn...

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowtractor
...4800KM road trip completed successfully, Boy doing just fine, touch of thrush but caught early, Mom hyper but will adjust, dogs totally cool, cat keeps attacking afgan when Shamus squeaks because he can't figure out where the cat sounds are coming from.
Of course, you just have to live in that godforsaken wilderness you call home, instead in civilisation with the rest of us loonies... :

Quote:
Now on to the bonging of Geoff, hmmm, I thought a bong was illegal drug paraphernalia....
The fact that you know this disturbs me a little...
Old 10-10-04, 20:55
In Vino Veritas

Default Re: Re: Yawn...

Quote:
Of course, you just have to live in that godforsaken wilderness you call home, instead in civilisation with the rest of us loonies... :

Sigh, too right! It is interesting how different it is here versus the World though. In this day and age and in North America you would not think you could still find a place that shuts down Friday at 5 and opens up monday at 9 and closes at lunch and everthing is on 2 week order and will cost more for the pleasure of waiting. Too be honest I have it quite well compared to the isolated communities.

The fact that you know this disturbs me a little...
Well, have to know the enemy before you can arrest them

Sean
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff
Old 10-10-04, 21:06
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Re: Re: Getting bonged!!

Quote:
Originally posted by FV623
Oh, incidentally 911 there, is 999 here, for a very good reason that used to be published in the front cover of every phone book.

Non-UK chaps may take a guess if so desired.
Dialing three nines takes longer on those old telephones?!? :

We dial "112". Only dialed it once when I saw a guy crashing into the left-hand crash barrier on the motorway one night. The police, ambulance and tow service all arrived within 15 minutes, the scene had been cleared within half an hour. All very professional and efficient. The driver was apprehended as he was drunk

H.
Old 10-10-04, 22:13
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Getting bonged!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Hanno Spoelstra
Dialing three nines takes longer on those old telephones?!? :
Nooooo.
In the pitch dark or with thick smoke obscuring vision, you feel for the finger stop on the dial and use the second finger immediately to the left of it to find the 0 and then the first finger finds the 9 to the left of that, from there you can remove the second finger and dial 9 three times.
Quote:
We dial "112". Only dialed it once . . . . . . . . . . All very professional and efficient. The driver was apprehended as he was drunk
I strongly agree and add another coupe of

R.
Old 11-10-04, 04:53
In Vino Veritas

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Getting bonged!!

Quote:
Originally posted by FV623
Nooooo.
In the pitch dark or with thick smoke obscuring vision, ...
R.
...by that point I am generally phoning from the neighbours...
M38CDN 1952
Other stuff