MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 07-03-12, 01:51

Default Diamond T 967

Hello group.

Nice looking Diamond T project in California. I don't know the seller.

On Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Also on Craigslist

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/2845511163.html

Dan
Old 06-03-13, 01:09
carrier mech

Here is an update on this truck. It was purchased by the Shilo museum and picked up in early December 2012 by a DND training run and brought back to Shilo. Since it has shown up here, we have removed the civilian flatdeck on it, fixed a severe air leak, rebuilt the fuel pump, and presently have the fuel tank off for cleaning and repair. Truck runs, but needs a tune up. It is planned to get a total restoration in the next few years.

The plan is to remove a couple of poorly added splices in the frame, adjust the frame to the correct length, and then install General Crerar's caravan body onto this truck from the open cab truck that it is currently on. The open cab truck will be returned back to it's original wrecker configuration.
Attached Thumbnails
marshots 033.jpg  
Old 06-03-13, 01:38

Default Diamond T

Hi Rob and group.

There was a Diamond T in the museum at the Chilliwack base when it the base and museum closed. As I was restoring a Diamond T Wrecker at the time I asked what was going to happen to it. I was told it was going to be shipped to Cagetown but only made it to Shilo.

Rob. I know you got your finger on the pulse, what happened to that Diamond T. I can send you pictures of it.

What are the plans for the DT now in Shilo? Cargo truck, wrecker or ?

Dan
Old 06-03-13, 02:18
carrier mech

There are only two Diamond Ts here in Shilo.....the one that just came in, which will end up as Crerar's Caravan, and the other one (currently with Caravan) was originally a wrecker....it will be converted back to that.

There is another large cargo truck down in the dust bowl, but I think it is a Mack. In all honestly I have not paid much attention to it. But I will be taking a M135 out for a road test in the morning....perhaps I'll swing by the dust bowl and have a look.
Old 07-03-13, 03:15
carrier mech

Checked the other truck out from a reasonable distance (way too much snow in the dustbowl to actually walk up to the truck) but it definitely is not a Diamond T. I'm still sure it's a Mack, and noticed it has the center mounted winch as well.

I asked Clive if he had ever heard of another here in Shilo, and he has not.
Old 08-03-13, 03:53
Staghound

Hey Rob it is good to hear that the carvan is going to be finally complete
and the wrecker will be redone
job well done!
Old 08-03-13, 04:37
carrier mech

Well the usual things get in the way....time and money. But with the current direction the museum has been going, things are certainly getting better.
Old 15-03-13, 21:09
Vlad Ganshin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
Checked the other truck out from a reasonable distance (way too much snow in the dustbowl to actually walk up to the truck) but it definitely is not a Diamond T. I'm still sure it's a Mack, and noticed it has the center mounted winch as well.

I asked Clive if he had ever heard of another here in Shilo, and he has not.
Hi!
Could you pay more attention to that another truck when be back there some day?
I'll be too glad to see Mack if it is.
The central mounted winch means it must be NM model.
Vlad.
Old 16-03-13, 02:55
carrier mech

Will do. But in the meantime we got even more snow this last week. I got stuck with the truck on road to my house, a first for me. So it may be a month or so before enough snow leaves to allow examination.
Old 16-03-13, 19:08
carrier mech

I was sent a photo of the Mack in the dustbowl taken during warmer times. This compound is the heart of all poison ivy growth in North America. The ivy grows freely on open ground. I managed to avoid it during a visit to the compound last year only to get stung by hornets instead. Much like a woman, the compound has such enticing attributes, but on closer inspection a few pitfalls.

Anyway, I digress....Here it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Radar Shilo Vehicles 012.jpg  

Last edited by rob love; 16-03-13 at 19:14. Reason: My dearest Linda: should you read this I was not talking about you.
Old 19-03-13, 17:40
Vlad Ganshin

Rob,
Thanks a lot for posting the pic. It's definitely Mack NM.
The truck has closed cab so we may hope in two ways. 1. It's an early production vehicle (and rare) with the cab from the factory. 2. It was recabbed with a piece of commercial Mack L-model. All after-the-war cabs had turnable ventillation windows in front doors so this truck looks more like it has original one. We can learn more from the chassis nr. It is stamped on a LH frame rail right above a front axle. Consists of NM 4D and following 4 digits. So you need to take a chance when snow will gone but ivy doesn't grow enough to spread it's terror poison. We also wait spring here in Russia having a half meter of snow on flat areas now. Here's a pic of my NM-6 during it's action in last winter. This year it takes its place under the roof. Vlad.
Attached Thumbnails
NMScotch00051_resize.jpg